Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kidney Stones Question

Talking to my Sister today, she tells me her gyn Dr told her she has two tiny kidney stones in each of her kidneys. She has no pain and had no idea that they were there. Does anyone know what they do for that? Can they just stay there forever and is there a danger that i should be worried about? She is a breast cancer survivor and i have always been concerned about her health. She is all i have left of my family. She has taken this info in stride and is not worried at all. Have any of you had this condition?

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    My DD had them. Her Dr. said to drink lots and lots of water to help flush them out. Apparently it worked because she quit complaining about it after a week or two.

Blog Entries
    BTW cutting back on her salt and sugar intake will greatly help.

Blog Entries
    My cousin was told to drink Gatorade daily for his as well as lots of water.

I have heard that the chemo can increase the kidney stones. Something I remember my moms dr saying. Just a side effect but yes with LOTS of water. (husband and ex both had them)

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    BTW cutting back on her salt and sugar intake will greatly help.
    Thanks for that info...i will tell her tonight about the salt and sugar. She has increased the water intake but since she never felt them she doesn't know if it is helping.

What did her doctor recommend? That is probably what she should do.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've been told if they are tiny, they may just pass on their own with no problem. When they get big passing them can be painful or impossible. My mom had to have hers blasted through a hole in her back and sucked out. (27 years ago) The stones they showed us after removing them looked like burrs. No wonder they hurt!

Blog Entries
    She is lucky if she can't feel them. My DD would double over in extreme pain.

Blog Entries
    I had them a few years ago and I would rather have babies.
    My DH, however, has passed them with NO pain whatsoever.
    Every one is different, but drinking lots of water does help.

Quote Originally Posted by suern3
    What did her doctor recommend? That is probably what she should do.
    Her DR. wasn't all that concerned because they are so small but told her to watch her calcium intake.

Blog Entries
    Like everyone else said lots of water, I had them and believe me she doesnt want to have them give her fits...Talk about hurt...

DH is scheduled for his 2nd Lithotripsy tomorrow. This is after two surgeries to remove two big (think golf balls) stones last year, as well as one lithotripsy for this last stone that wasn't 100% effective. Lithotripsy is a 'shock-wave' therapy to attempt to break the stone into smaller pieces that can be passed (hopefully without pain).

The doctor gave him the option of doing nothing, but if the stone decides to move, he will be in major pain. And it's too big to pass. So, he elected the 2nd try at lithotripsy.

All the stone fragments that have been removed are Calcium-Oxalate stones. The doctor has not recommended that he limit his calcium, but has recommended a low oxalate diet. For us that means cutting out beets, rhubarb, chocolate, nuts and black tea. There are other high oxalate foods, but we don't normally eat them.

There are other types of stones besides calcium-oxalate. But, the stone has to be removed to determine what kind it is. Calcium-oxalate is the most common.

I still don't completely understand all the complications that kidney stones can cause. But, after finding two large stones in the same kidney, the doctor ordered a kidney function test, to make sure the kidney was worth saving. Now that was scary. Fortunately, while the kidney was not working at 100%, it was worth saving, and the stones were removed.

So, after my long reply, my recommendation is that she find a urologist that she trusts, and follow the doctor's recommendations.

And, yes she should drinks lots of water. My DH aims for a gallon a day. In addition to any other drinks, like coffee.

Blog Entries
    My daughter has a real problem with them. We almost lost her when one huge stone got lodged. Scary stuff! Lots of water, water, water.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    a few years ago I had stones. I had so many They filled my gall bladder and had to have surgery to remove the whole thing... then I had another surgery the next day to remove the 20+ stones in one of my tubes and was backing up bile.. I was hospitalized for a week, I was throwing up for days I had a fever for four days, couldn't eat till fever broke and until after I had my surgeries.. all I could have was ice chips.. It hurt SOOOOOOO bad.. and I was starving!!! My mri showed I had over 100 stones that had to be removed.. Hope to never go thru that again.. But I went home with some awesome drugs and the ok to eat again..

Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    My DH had them and passed out at work..he ended up in the hospital for a week before he passed several of them. The DR told him it's the closest thing to labor pains that a man can have. I was pregnant with our 1st DD at the time...Good luck to your Sis..Cranberry juice is good for the kindeys too..but the water is the most important. Does she take vitamin suppliments? Calcium is a contributing factor to them I have heard too..

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    My DD had 3 large ones and the doc wanted to zap them with lazer. They are a build up of uric acid just like arthritis. Drinking RED CLOVER TEA which is in the health food store it breaks apart the stones. I had my DD drink MUGS of tea 3-4 times a day for 3 days. It was a Friday night when she was in the ER. When she went to the doc he couldn't believe the stones were gone. He was amazed as they were too big for her to pass so it was the tea that did it's job.

Blog Entries
    My DH had them only once. So it's possible to pass them and be fine. I always joked that the rough pot holed road the ambulance traveled knocked them out of him, but it actually might have, who knows :lol:

Blog Entries
    A lot of people have them and they are so small they can pass without pain. My late DH had them. His were large and wouldn't flush even with all of the water he drank. He ended up having a stint put in to ease the pain that he suffered from. They had to be really careful with prescribing anything because of all of his other problems. He drank cranberry juice and cherry juice(due to gout), but it didn't help him.

We have a friend who really had a lot of trouble with stones. His new Dr told him to eat a whole Lime a day. So he squeezes the juiceinto water that he keeps cold. Been 2 yrs since he has had any signs of a stone. I have heard of others doing this also with success. Might ask your Dr. what their thought is. Cannot hurt!

Jim
    Kidney stones can because of several reason and its one of the most painful malodies we have. I have chronic kidney stone attacks ...thank GOD my last one was three yrs ago but, I've had 23 episodes of them in the last 20 yrs. The best advice is have a Urologist you love and always drink lots of water everyday. If the stones your sister has are tiny...she may pass them without knowing it or the Dr may want to zap them. Good Luck to her.

I have kidney stones, but would never have known it (if I hadn't had a CT Scan for other, unrelated, reasons). I have spoken with two doctors. They both indicated that they could be there for the rest of my life without my ever knowing it or causing me any problems. I was told that staying hydrated was one of the best ways to prevent them from becoming problems.

If they are small enough, they should pass through. If they are too large and start causing problems, then the Dr will "blast" them. The "blast" will break the large stones up so they pass through easier. Hope this helps!

I ended up in the ER for what I thought was a Gall Bladder attack. Was a tiny kidney stone already on its way out. Thought I would pass out from the pain. Dr gave me morphine for it and told me to drink Cranberry juice, Gatorade and water at least a quart an hour until I finished passing it. I had my youngest child at home with a midwife Anaturale and it was nowhere near the pain of the kidney stone.

Quote Originally Posted by trupeach1
    My DD had 3 large ones and the doc wanted to zap them with lazer. They are a build up of uric acid just like arthritis. Drinking RED CLOVER TEA which is in the health food store it breaks apart the stones. I had my DD drink MUGS of tea 3-4 times a day for 3 days. It was a Friday night when she was in the ER. When she went to the doc he couldn't believe the stones were gone. He was amazed as they were too big for her to pass so it was the tea that did it's job.
    Okay i will tell her to buy the tea!! Thank you!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast