Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Disasters

I made a pecan pie but accidentally used molasses instead of corn syrup. Yeeccch! My wonderful husband felt so sorry for me that he made me another pie, and he had never made a pie before.

Rhonda,

Sorry, My DH got me a new laptop and I'm still negotiating my way around it.
    Anyway, Rhonda, I seem to usually forget the last tray or 2. I just figure that's my offering to the Oven Gods. LOL

Anyway, Rhonda, I seem to usually forget the last tray or 2. I just figure that's my offering to the Oven Gods. LOL

I had a recipe for Beef And Noodles I wanted to try. The roast was to cook for a couple hours, then shred it, add the noodles, simmer for a while, add spices,then serve.
    Everything was going great, smelled wonderful, everyone could hardly wait. Then I added the spices one of which was cloves. The smell immediately changed to the strong odor of cloves. Everyone gamely tried to eat it, but it was AWFUL!
    Needless to say, we threw it out, and I haven't tried that recipe again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by julie
    If i catch the cookies before they get too bad my mom will eat them. She likes things darker and more done than I do. I like my cookies between crispy and chewy.

But if I really burn them....they get thrown out! Once in awhile I let the dogs have them but I don't give my dogs table food very often as it really isn't good for them.

Good to know I am not alone!!! Thanks Julie!

Oh, Rhonda and Julie, I'm kin! I always burn the last tray of cookies for some reason. Luckily Roy likes things burned. lol lol

I tried to make pear jam once. My SIL had a pear tree in her yard and she sent me pears, pears, pears. Well, I'd make jellies and jams with my mom for years starting at about 9 or 10 yo. I was tired from work and quartered the pears, seeded them, then put them in the pan with sugar, pectin, fruit fresh, etc. etc. I grew up with natural gas. Electric is NOT a good pan to have to try to make jellies and jams, especially if you're tired from 10 hours of work. Have you ever had a pan burned so badly that you couldn't chisel the crud off? :oops:

I did get a new set of pots and new drip pans the next day though. No pear jam and I never let her send me that many pears again. I gag when I see the pear jam in the stores even. :x

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mimisharon
    Oh, Rhonda and Julie, I'm kin! I always burn the last tray of cookies for some reason. Luckily Roy likes things burned. lol lol

I tried to make pear jam once. My SIL had a pear tree in her yard and she sent me pears, pears, pears. Well, I'd make jellies and jams with my mom for years starting at about 9 or 10 yo. I was tired from work and quartered the pears, seeded them, then put them in the pan with sugar, pectin, fruit fresh, etc. etc. I grew up with natural gas. Electric is NOT a good pan to have to try to make jellies and jams, especially if you're tired from 10 hours of work. Have you ever had a pan burned so badly that you couldn't chisel the crud off? :oops:

I did get a new set of pots and new drip pans the next day though. No pear jam and I never let her send me that many pears again. I gag when I see the pear jam in the stores even. :x
    I also grew up making jams and jellies and butchering chickens and home canning.

I don't do any of it anymore except for my favorite sweet pickles because you can't buy them. The recipe was handed down through the family and I won't do without them if I can help it.

I figure it takes less time to buy it than to can it and for most things that is just fine with me. I got tired of all the work!! My daughter is really into home canning everything and she shares! They even make their own salsa and merinara sauce and beef stew and ...... She is reallly hung up on serving her family food without all the salt and preservatives.

I tried making my own ketchup once .. it was ok but it wasn't to my taste and I never got it to taste the way i wanted so I never kept on trying.

I'd rather be quilting than canning any day!!!!

Blog Entries
    I just talked with my sister to find out what I did wrong with the cake (it is her recipe) The cake tastes OK but it is a little dry and has the wrong texture. DH was listening in on the conversation (while eating a second helping of cake). His contribution: Oh, you mean it's not supposed to feel like a sea sponge?

What a brat.

My most famous disaster: My daughter was pregnant and we were having a small, family baby shower at my house. Lots of people I didn't know. Anyway, my MIL, who used to cater meals as well as cook in a school, gave me a recipe for punch. You used jello, fruit drinks and sherbet. Good stuff, right? Well, what she didn't tell me was that I needed to dissolve the jello FIRST. That punch was really nasty...my MIL thought it was just hilarious but at the time it wasn't a bit funny to me! :oops: :oops:

OH MY GOSH!!!! Did you ever make me bring up a secret I have only told a few close people :oops: When I was 17 first year of marriage,I didn't know anything about cooking except how to fry chicken,eggs and make mashed potatoes. I had bought a beef roast don't remember what kind but I believe it was a bottom round kinda looked like that. :lol: :lol: As best as I can remember. Anyways I ask my next door neighbor how to cook it and she said put it on the top rack of your oven and set the oven on 300 degrees baste it ever so often.
    OH MY GOSH :lol: :lol: :lol: I did just that I put the roast on the top rack without putting it in a pan. :oops: :shock: :lol: It started smoking of course. I got it out, had a small fire, common sense took over even for this dumb 17 yr.old. turned oven off shut its door until it cooled. Cleaned up the mess and now the whole world knows about it. But never,never,never even told my DD's or DH. :lol: :lol:
    BillsBonBon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    OH MY GOSH!!!! Did you ever make me bring up a secret I have only told a few close people :oops: When I was 17 first year of marriage,I didn't know anything about cooking except how to fry chicken,eggs and make mashed potatoes. I had bought a beef roast don't remember what kind but I believe it was a bottom round kinda looked like that. :lol: :lol: As best as I can remember. Anyways I ask my next door neighbor how to cook it and she said put it on the top rack of your oven and set the oven on 300 degrees baste it ever so often.
    OH MY GOSH :lol: :lol: :lol: I did just that I put the roast on the top rack without putting it in a pan. :oops: :shock: :lol: It started smoking of course. I got it out, had a small fire, common sense took over even for this dumb 17 yr.old. turned oven off shut its door until it cooled. Cleaned up the mess and now the whole world knows about it. But never,never,never even told my DD's or DH. :lol: :lol:
    BillsBonBon

Well, I won't tell, if you won't!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

See there!? This thread makes us all feel better because we now know everyone else has done something silly or had a bad experience! I've made a lot of mistakes. You know what I did one time? I had a brain freeze and decided to heat my water, then add eggs to boil for potato salad....UM>>>>they cracked open, boiled out, and were ruined! I guess I forgot how to boil eggs and thought they were pasta or something. Good grief!

Blog Entries

Right before I got married in 1975 I was 18 and my future sil was 16. We decided to make gravy. I had never made it but my sil said she knew how. We made it all right it was so stiff you could stand a knife up in it and it did not fall over!! And we had no idea how to fix it!!
    This is the time in my life when my bils always brought food with them as they had suffered through some of my cooking!!

My mil taught me to make gravy a few months later and she always used this huge huge wrought iron (2 1/2 ft wide)skillet because she usually fed anywhere from 10 - 20 at any given time(big family) Well as I reached over this huge skillet I managed to burn myself. Mil still teases me about when I learned to make gravy.

This might be rather lengthy, but here goes. I was about 23 or 24 and knew how to cook. One day I decided to make Gumbo. Had all the ingredients cooking away. Smelled good so far. Added the shrimp and things began to smell bad. I went ahead and cooked it, but also cooked some chicken just in case. Well, when the Gumbo had cooked the amount of time the recipe specified, it smell to high Heaven. I had a big pot of it. I put a little bit in a bowl and put it on the landing for the outside cats. One of them came up the steps, took a whiff and flew back down. None of the others would even come close. We finally decided the shrimp was bad. To this day I can not stand Gumbo.

Another time, I was probably 18 or 19, I had a recipe for a Rocky Road Cake. It used brownie mix with lots of other stuff. It smelled so good. But, we had to use a VERY sharp knife and saw it. Impossible to chew. A friend really liked it so he took it home. My dad finally figured out that the brownie mix was really old and expired. My dad was a baker so he knew such things.

When I was a little girl, Mother kept the canned dog food in the fridge. One of my uncles was visiting and made a sandwich out of the dog food. He told Mother that the meat spread wasn't too bad. She asked him what he had used and realized it was the dog food.

A number of years ago, I had an old house with really high ceilings. The kitchen was on the back side of the house, the sitting room in the front. I decided to follow a new quick chicken and dumpling recipe. It called for cooking the chicken in a pressure cooker. So I was cooking away..went into the living room for a couple of minutes and heard a huge explosion. Went into the kitchen and there was chicken and broth dripping from the ceiling.. a bit of chicken had gotten into the pop-off valve and the safety plug blew out!!
    had to get a ladder to clean the ceiling...

When I was growing up my mom made her famous cook all day soup, when she opened the cupboard (right over the stove) to get a spice a mouse flew out and landed right in the pot. I think we ate TV dinners that night!

Blog Entries
    OK...I"m going to fess up...besides the fact that when we were first married my DH ate a ton of raw chicken (surprized he didn't die from it)..here is the most embarrassing thing I've ever done.

We were actually just dating and I decided that I would fry some shrimp for dinner. I did a bang up job...I have to say they were beautiful! They just weren't peeled.... :roll: I forgot to do that little step. Anyway..DH said.."Ah...aren't you supposed to peel these before frying?" I replied..."Well...this is how MY mama did it.." Now for the best part...Years later, we were at Mom's to eat Christmas dinner. She brought out a lovely ham and Dad tried to slice it...she had left the plastic wrapper on it!...I winked at my DH and said..."See...I told you...MY mama leaves all the wrappers on!"...We couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell them what we were laughing at! :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtercreamCakeArtist
    I'm interested in knowing some of the crazy things you've done in the kitchen. (No, not that, you perv.) These could be things that happened when you were first learning to cook, bake, etc. or just learning a new technique.

I made an apple pie once and forgot to peel the apples.
    Not that?!? Ummmmm...... nope... got nothin else! LOL ;-)
    well, blue,...I'm just curious to know how you get anything done in the chicken...LOL>>>TYPO - SO FUNNY, I'M LEAVING IT!
    ...anything done in the kitchen...with those BIG feet!...especially THAT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmmm, can't think of any major disasters, just the usual stuff...burnt food, burnt hands and fingers, spills, too much salt in stuff...oh, here's a kitchen story: (not for the faint of heart!)
    when my youngest girl, was oh, ten months old, I had her in the high chair, feeding her. I was frying some pork chops on the stove at the same time.
    I had a plate with some pork chops already done, on the counter, and baby "urped up" some on her tray. She was DONE eating, so I took the tray off, set her down on the floor to go play, right?
    I set the tray on the counter, next to the pork chops. Went back to my cooking, and decided to take a sample bite, out of what would of course, be my pork chop...ummm, has a funny "gravy" on it...eeeek!! baby vomit...had dripped off of tray onto the one pork chop i decided to sample!!! blech, blech, blech...worse than Lucy's dog germs from Snoopy! :shock: :shock:

Yeah, I burnt some stuff and cooked over in the oven some more stuff, too. But my sister takes the cake. She baked 2 lemon sponge pies - 1 to enter in the local fair and one to eat at home. She got a 2nd place on the pie - but lost in the home stretch! Her daughter took one bite of the pie and spit it out - here my sister forgot to add the sugar! We kidded her if the 2nd place pie got ALL the sugar, or was just like the pie at home!

Blog Entries
    These stories are PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!! I don't feel bad any more since I am in wonderful company.

My sister blew up her pressure cooker as well. Good German Gulasch all over the ceiling. She had to scrub and repaint the rental. To this day I am very afraid of perssure cookers.

Thinking back, I think my Mom "cycled" with baking events. The baked goods never turned out and she was in a b****y mood. One event she made 3 cakes: the first one flopped and landed in the trash, the second burnt and landed in the trash. The third one turned out perfectly - golden and ready for the layer of cream and fruit to top.

Now the woman insisted that cakes had to cool on top of the kitchen cabinet.....which was pretty tall.....and you see it, don't you? Well, the cake slipped half way off the grate. Mom caught it and with unbelievable patience she shuffeld it back on the rack.

She stood there for a second and then she started screaming like a madwoman. She flung the cake on the kitchen floor and stomped through it with her size 11s.

All I could think of was "don't laugh" ......well, you should see this one coming too: I scraped cake off the floor for a looooong time. :D

My worst one was the first night in the place I live now. We have five people who helped us move so I cooked us all a huge pasta dinner as a thank you for helping. The meal was almost done, and then WOOSH!!!! FLAMES!!!! The stove top caught on fire!!! My boyfriend ran to the laundry room and grabbed the fire extinguisher. He let 'er rip and extinguished the fire :D but ruined the food :cry:

Needless to say....I ordered some pizza. The fire department came and all the neighbors were outside watching the neighborhood newbie light her house on fire! It ended up being an electrical fire inside of the stove, so at least it wasn't my fault. It sure was scary though!!

I saw someone wrote about using dish soap in the dishwasher. My dad did this once when I was a kid. We were at my Grandparents home for a visit. They had just remodeled their kitchen and had white carpeting put in the kitchen (I think white carpet is crazy...especially in the kitchen). My grandparents were out to coffee with my mom and her sisters, so my dad thought he would "help" and do the dishes. He had never used a dishwasher before and so he used the sink dish soap and BUBBLE BUBBLE BUBBLE all over the fancy white carpet :P OOPS!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast