Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kitty got a time out!

As usual, when I went upstairs to get ready for work this morning, the cat ran up ahead of me. She jumped up onto the ledge around the top of the stairs like usual and when I walked by I ran my hand over her back, petting her. Well, little Miss In-A-Snit turned around and grabbed my wrist in both claws and bit my hand!

I turned it around and grabbed the back of her neck, like a mother cat, which made her stop and I told her, "No bitting!" I let her go and she tried to swat me but I was too far away for her to reach without falling off the ledge. She jumped down and pounced! It was like a fake-out. She pounced towards me so hard that I heard the thump on the floor, then she ran into my office.

I shut the office door with her in there while I got ready. Fifteen minutes later when I was ready to leave I opened the door and let her out. Now little Miss Nice was all meowing and rubbing against me.

That's more like it!

(no cats were harmed in this story) :lol:

Blog Entries
    Cute story!

No cats were harmed in this story. What about people? Did she draw blood? Glad It worked out in the end! They can be so 'finicky'!

Blog Entries
    Funny cat story! They can be so persnickety at times.

Senior Member twospoiledhuskies's Avatar
    Ha Ha, she thinks she's very funny. That we the deal with my cat everyday (the attack at least). Normally it was my ankles and then it was game on to try to catch her. She would come up and say, "not me mom, I was just sitting here". She has since passed and I miss her very much. Hopefully, your cat will be less rough. Good luck ;)

I have a little 1-inch scratch on the back of my hand is all. Dang, she is moody!! I picked up another over-the-door bouncy toy for her just yesterday (she broke the last one) to get rid of some of the feisty energy. She just gets in this mood where she attacks everything.

Of course, when SHE wants to lay all over me that's a different story.

Oh, she attacks ankles too. I will walk by and she attacks the left, the right, the left, as I walk. Until I turn around and then she's off like a shot.

Wow sounds like you got a holy little terror on your hands. I suggest another cat for her to work out all that excess energy on instead of you. How old is kitty?

She's about a year and a half old. I have thought about another cat but haven't done anything about it yet.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's hilarious!! She'll get over it. My girls don't bite anymore. But my boy does after you rub him so many times his tail starts twitching and it's time to stop. I don't know why that is. He's very lovable, always smooching and stuff. Something about petting his head....... :D

I always say my cat is bi polar. Loves me one minute and bites me the next.

bj
    Cat's are crazy. We used to have a Siamese that would hide up in the beams in the ceiling and jump down on people as they walked under. He particularly loved to jump on my mom, the biggest cat-hater of all time.

Blog Entries
    OK, So I am not a cat person (allergic), but this story does not sound cute to me!!! (Likewise the Siamese jumping on the Mom part- is it any wonder the poor woman was a cat hater?!!!!)

Do they play with other cats this way in nature though? I'd be reading up on cat psychology and making sure I reacted in the top cat manner in that game..... or else bringing in a different sparring partner for her. (Ah-tchoo!)

Sounds like a typical cat!..lol

Blog Entries
    Awwww, she's just practicing her hunting skills! I've had lots of kittens like that--they eventually grow out of it! :P

Thanks for the reminder of when the girls were younger. They did seem to be bi-polar! Now, I have a velcro cat! She hangs on to my lap when I try to stand!

I don't know what the Alpha cat would do in reaction to another one attacking but I suspect it would be to bite the neck or hold them down. Or just swat them with a paw.

She's still young so I hope she will grow out of it. Cats are not like dogs, they are not subservient, in my experience. That's why they basically ignore commands. :-P

They do know how to cop an attitude!! :D :lol:

I just did a bit of reading and withholding affection, treats, and loving is the best way to correct aggressive behavior. Also, not meeting aggression with aggression, that never works with cats.

Putting her alone in the room for 15 minutes seems to have stopped that episode and she was all lovely after that. Grabbing the back of her neck was to make her stop... just try and simply TAKE your hand away from a cat that wants it!

Awe...sounds like she was really reaching out for your attention. We have 3 cats....ages 12 years. 3 years. 10 weeks. Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one. Most cats do well together once slowly introduced. They keep each other company. Cats seem to need other cats around. They are entertaining too. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have four, all declawed, all 4 feet and 1 use to give me little love nips on the back upper arm, I would bawl him out and has stopped it for a long time, he is 10 yo. I have one 15, another 10 and the youngest, 4 and he doesn't bite, none of them bite.

Ours gives "love bites" Hes all sweet one minute then bites you. HARD!

She does love bites too, very gentle little bites. Maybe she needs another cat. When I got home she greeted me, and I greeted her with words and petting. I put my stuff down, sorted the mail, etc. and she started running around, pouncing on her toys, etc. I played feather-on-a-stick with her for a bit until she wandered off to eat.

The mom is home ritual.

Years ago I had a big pedigree Chinchilla cat who could get real nasty - found out later that it was because the vet had only half castrated him and he was still acting like an 'entire' cat.

Fred was an inside cat, but this day he escaped outside. When I went to bring him in, he launched himself from the ground and wrapped himself around my left arm and dug all claws into my arm. DS was going to pull him off, but instead I made him turn the hose on him. Got off very quickly. Took about a month for my arm to heal. He escaped one day and was never seen again - not for the want of trying to find him.

I bet that was frightening, and painful!!

My cat is an indoor cat and sometimes she runs outside if I'm not careful with the door. The last time she ran out she stopped at the driveway then ran back into the house. It's a big, scary world out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast