Know your weed killer!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I use pesticides and herbicides very rarely. I prefer to pull weeds than poison them but sometimes I just can't kill them manually.

I've always thought the company name "Chem Lawn" is such an odd choice. Who would want a lawn full of chemicals?
great observation, i think that's exactly what we have!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:32 PM
Power Poster

I never use chemicals in my garden, use natural fertilizers/minerals. Weeds/kikuyu get pulled up and composted, paths, just use boiling water, ants, just cheap dish detergent and water.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:35 AM

Doesn't the extra strong white vinegar kill weeds?
Old 04-11-2015, 02:59 AM

I use a mixture of 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salt and 1/4 cup of dawn dish soap. Mix it together and you can pour it on or use a sprayer. Usually works in 2-3 days.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I still see commercials with professionals spraying someone's lawn, wearing regular clothing and shoes and walking forward as they spray for weeds, bugs, etc. When i spray for dandelion's, I walk backward and don't spray on windy days either. I hate chemicals but do use them. carefully.
My MIL's neighbor professionally sprayed lawns for a living. He died very young ( early 40's) from some strange form of cancer. Rumor was it was from not wearing a mask when he sprayed...
Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 AM

Since I read several articles about how Roundup is now in genetically modified seed corn, I buy only organic corn products, such as in cereal, canned corn or chips. Mary Jane Butters of "Mary Jane's Farm" has written about this. The man next door is in love with roundup, yet he thinks ivy is a desirable plant. He still can't figure out why the roses planted at the fence line posts died. They planted, then sprayed all around with roundup. There is not a day here in our SW WA area that there is not a breeze.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:26 AM

Weed killer: 1 quart vinegar, 1T salt, 1T Dawn dish detergent. Spray liberally....kills vegetation in hours. I use it all the time. (Heat vinegar to help dissolve the salt.)
Old 04-11-2015, 05:36 AM

Where I have just weeds and no grass or flowers I use the mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt and Dawn dish soap. Read about this I think on this digest so tried it out as I'd like to try to stay as eco friendly as possible. Takes a few days to work but it does work...............at least for me. My neighbor tried it and it didn't work for him so I guess its a 50-50 chance. Otherwise I go out to pull weeds most every morning early before it heats up. Gives me a reason to get some fresh air and to take a stroll around the gardens.

For bugs outside I check online to see what should be planted next to what to keep the bugs at bay such as garlic around your roses. I've used Irish Spring soap to keep the critters out of the gardens but didn't find that to work too well.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 AM

You don't need "Extra strong" white vinegar. Agricultural vinegar is 20% acidity and is VERY caustic and dangerous, requiring protective gear. Homeowners do not need this stuff. It's expensive, too.

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Doesn't the extra strong white vinegar kill weeds?
Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 AM

I'm surprised to hear this....my vinegar mixture killed in hours. Do you dissolve the salt???

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Where I have just weeds and no grass or flowers I use the mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt and Dawn dish soap. Read about this I think on this digest so tried it out as I'd like to try to stay as eco friendly as possible. Takes a few days to work but it does work...............at least for me. My neighbor tried it and it didn't work for him so I guess its a 50-50 chance. Otherwise I go out to pull weeds most every morning early before it heats up. Gives me a reason to get some fresh air and to take a stroll around the gardens.

For bugs outside I check online to see what should be planted next to what to keep the bugs at bay such as garlic around your roses. I've used Irish Spring soap to keep the critters out of the gardens but didn't find that to work too well.