Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? ..

Late 50's Early 60"s clothing? ..

'Just wondering, if there was a dress shop in your town that only carried those dresses in the style of the 50's and 60's, would you shop there? If you saw the movie, "Corrina, Corrina", Whoopie was wearing the style. Those dresses made a woman look like a woman, were feminine, cute, and no boobs were hanging out!! What are your thoughts?

Oh goodness, no boobs hanging out? Is that legal today? Apparently, the lack of imagination is rampant in the younger generation, but that is no excuse for grown women wearing such revealing clothes. It makes me sad to see someone like Barbara Walters degrading herself by succumbing to style. I do have to giggle a bit when the so-called conservative Christian women go around hanging out. Where is the mystery?
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I'm not so much into dresses but I'd love to find some shirts that come below the waist--they're always too short (and I'm not a tall person). I love long tunic style shirts and they're difficult to find. As for boobs hanging out, mine don't hang out they hang down!
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    I'm not so much into dresses but I'd love to find some shirts that come below the waist--they're always too short (and I'm not a tall person). I love long tunic style shirts and they're difficult to find. As for boobs hanging out, mine don't hang out they hang down!
    Ok that was a good one! Started my day out with a laugh. I don't think I would go for 50s or 60s dresses but then I can't remember the last time I had a dress on. I do agree that I would love to find long tunic style shirts.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Those 50's shirtwaist dresses with a belt could be handy for tucking in those soggy-sock-hanging-boobies.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

At 67 I am too old to want to show off any body parts. I just want close to the neck tops, I don't wear dresses. I hate the scoop neck tops, when I bend over it shows to my waist. Hard to find what I want to wear. I wore the 50s and 60s clothes, back in the day.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I did a lot of sewing my clothes back then and kept all my patterns. I am now seeing them come back in pattern catalogs and in some ready made clothes. I loved the long tunics, but my old patterns are way to small for me now.

Blog Entries
    my friends and i were just discussing the modesty issue this morning. and when i was passing by the patterns at walmart, i saw a couple of dresses that reminded me of the 60's. as to your shop suggestion, no, i don't think i'd shop there.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    I am probably strange but I would shop there. I was born in 1965 and don't remember the styles personally, but I love how women looked back then. My older DD would shop there and the clothes would be right up her alley. She often tells me she was born in the wrong year. She is only 26. LOL!! Plus she is thin as a rail so they would look awesome on her.
    Sherri

Dresses????????????????
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

I don't wear dresses very often. Considering what is now in the stores I may go back to making my own cloths. The patterns I have were classic styles that with a change of fabric could be up to date style wise. I was always mixing sleeves, necklines, etc. anyway. My problem is I think a lot of the prints are UGLY or the fabric is to revealing in the ready mades now. I to would rather be modest. I am long waisted so all my patterns are already adjusted for that.

NO!!! Don't wear dresses! Wore one in '75 (my wedding) '91 (sisters wedding) and '09 (son's wedding)...Just not a dress person!

Blog Entries
    I would shop there. I have not bought any new clothes other than marked down T-shirts in at least 10 yrs. Still wearing my jeans from jr high school. When we went to buy school cloths for my GDs ages 6-7-8.My son freaked out at all the low neck see - thru clothes. So off to the socks and panty section where the poor guy really went crazy they had thong panties for little girls. I found regular cotton panties and got him out of the store before we needed an ambulance.Off to the 2nd hand stores and kids consignment shops to buy decent little girls dresses and tops. GDs wear shorts under their dresses.

Last edited by cr12cats; 04-03-2013 at 03:26 AM.

I was a teenager in the 50's and lived in LA. I wore pegger pants and plaid flannel shirts. Tight wool skirts and cashmire sweaters were popular but I couldnt afford them. Bunny and those shoes with one strap, Mary Janes I think they were called.
    Pin curled my hair and covered my head with a scarf that was pinned in place a certain way.
    Also made myself a slip with layers of neting in different colors so that full skirts stood way out.
    Listened to the black music station and collected 45 records in a special box made for them.
    It was a time of big changes in society. Teens took over the old pop culture and brought in rock n roll.

My DD and her friends have been wearing 50's style for quite some time. I even made her a dress from a 1950's pattern. Now that was an experience the vintage patterns were much more complicated then todays.
    but I can't see her in 60's stuff which to me is Jackie Kennedy..

71 and have only worn a dress once since I got married 23 years ago and that was to my SIL's wedding, then I donated it. If I'm not in jeans then I'm asleep. I can remember wearing those shirtwaists back in the 50's, the first dress I made was a pink one and I just loved it. I will admit that nowadays a lot of my jeans have elastic waists because I do like my comfort.

We shop at thrift stores for our school plays. The girls love wearing "girly Grandma dresses" as they call dresses with full skirts and belted waist. Saw on TV this morning that full and pleated skirts are coming back especially in spring coats.

Well, I hate to say it, but the clothes I wore in the 60's were miniskirts. I could touch the hem with my fingers, so that was probably just below my butt! I'm guessing you are talking about shirt waist dresses with a full skirt. Nope - my mother wore those, and they even made skinny people look plump!

BCM
    Jan in Va-funny!!!
    I miss those dresses and times--yes, I am one who rarely wears a dress now, but enjoy the memories of long ago when I did.

It`s so disterbing to go to church and schools and other public places and see not just young women but middle aged with their brest showing. where are our christian values??? It won`t be long before they meet in the middle-- so low in the top and short at the other end!!!

I wore them once. Was not allowed to wear pants in any shape or form for the first years working after high school. Couldn't wear jeans in high school........I've done my part --- NOW I'll wear jeans and t-shirts!!! As for the style -- yes, I love them, and yes, they're so much more feminine and descent than the stuff being worn nowadays!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    The fifties clothes were feminine and classy. Yes, I would shop at a 50's or 60's shop if there were any today. I made my clothes for at least 40 years and really enjoyed making them. Today there is nothing out there for older women like myself. Everything is geared for younger people, short skirts, sleeveless. If there is a sleeve on a dress, it is barely a cap sleeve. I wouldn't think of wearing a sleeveless dress with my flabby upper arms. Another thing that annoys me is the way little girls clothing is made. They are made too grownup looking and the fabric is terrible. What happened to the dresses we made for our little girls? Puffed sleeves, collar and a pretty sash. I'm sure those are gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN View Post
    Just saw some really pretty ones that might even be long enough for me (I'm 5'11") so you might like them.... they are linen-look from LL Bean from their new spring clothes collection. The colors are great, too.
    Mistakes are just opportunities to invent a new quilting technique!

Blog Entries
    I would definitely shop in a store like that. The dresses were so pretty and very feminine but not revealing. I wear lots of skirts but can never find any cute dresses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast