Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Learned something new yesterday! And it worked! >

Learned something new yesterday! And it worked!

Learned something new yesterday! And it worked!

Old 02-17-2020, 09:01 AM

Thank you. I wasn’t aware they still made Tang!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It is the Citric Acid that can sometimes be found with the canning items. https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Jar-Citr.../dp/B007CRHD4U There are also special products made according to https://www.consumerreports.org/dish...-a-dishwasher/ that are made specifically for cleaning dishwasher.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Interesting, I have a jar of Citric Acid for canning in the pantry. I use when I make dog treats, the citric acid keeps them from molding to quickly.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:55 PM

That’s useful info! I googled it, and it also says it helps remove hard water stains from toilet bowl too.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

A good stand by is white vinegar. Good for cleaning lots of things. Adding baking soda to make a paste cleans dirty greasy tiles and grout lines. If real dirty let set overnight then wash off with plain water.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 AM

I will pick up some Tang next time I see it. I always liked drinking it as a kid, and my son absolutely loved it. My dishwasher and washing machine could use some. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM

When Lowe's delivered my washer the delivery guy told me to be sure and leave the washer door opened when not i use. If not all the time then overnight. All the water needs to evaporate from behind the tub and drain. That stops the mold from forming and that is what you are smelling. You can kill the mold with bleach but then harm the seals over time. It's easy and cost nothing to leave the washer door open.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
When Lowe's delivered my washer the delivery guy told me to be sure and leave the washer door opened when not i use. If not all the time then overnight. All the water needs to evaporate from behind the tub and drain. That stops the mold from forming and that is what you are smelling. You can kill the mold with bleach but then harm the seals over time. It's easy and cost nothing to leave the washer door open.
I've always left the door open on my washing machine for hours after use even though I have a top loader. I just figure anything that has had water in it had the potential to mold and smell if not dried out. I've never had a problem with smell in my dishwasher, but I do leave the door open there, too. I don't use the heat dry so I just let the dishes air dry for a few hours, some times overnight before I unload it
Old 02-19-2020, 10:59 AM

Ah Tang, as kids, my brother and I felt like astronauts when we drank it. Thanks for the tip. I have some leftover from making spiced tea (Y'all remember that recipe?). Don't drink it now because of the sugar.