Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Leather furniture & cat...need advise >

Leather furniture & cat...need advise

Leather furniture & cat...need advise

Old 05-01-2010, 04:42 AM

We are getting a new house and are looking for much needed furniture. We found a set of living room furniture that is leather/poly blend. (Made by Ashley) We have a cat who still has back claws. DH says to ask all of you if any of you has any advice. I would hate to spend the money and have it ruined. She has never made a pull on any other furniture.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 AM

What do you mean by leather/poly blend... we bought a set that wasn't real leather & it peeled from normal wear & tear! If it's NOT 100% leather, I say don't buy it! As for the cat... they're great, but I can't stand clean'n up after them lol If you do buy leather, get the additional 5yr warrenty - it's suppose to cover any accident (be sure to ask them if it covers damage by cats).
Old 05-01-2010, 04:52 AM

We have leather furniture...and 3 cats, all with just back claws (and 2 dogs). Occasionally we see some pin pricks (surface only) on the furniture. But that's the price you pay for having the furbabies...and leather?....you'll see some marks from just sitting (buttons on the back of jeans) or putting your feet up with shoes on. The good thing is, leather doesn't wear out, it ages gracefully. It obtains character. I just love it. And my set, came from our local thrift store (Italian leather, 3 pieces, loveseat and chair still wrapped in plastic, $250). I'd buy leather again in a heartbeat.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 AM

My mom has leather and a giant coon dog the sneaks on the couch. No holes, but a few scraps. Rubbing the couch down with leather wipes makes most of them pretty much disappear.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 AM

My husband and I just bought our third leather set. I rescue Italian Greyhounds, who can be cat like. I would not buy a "leather match" or "bonded leather" (the new term for NOT REAL) because vinyl is not as tough as leather. Once it is sliced open, it's all over. Quality leather can take the scratching better. And if it does tear accidentally, it will not rip wide open like torn vinyl, allowing you to repair it.

Our leather is full of little scratches, but a little leather conditioner and it looks great. I fear that vinyl would not hold up nearly as well.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

We had leather furniture in our last house, and two cats who had back claws. They did not try to sharpen their claws on the leather; however, the problem we found was that the cats would chase each other and "push off" the couch with those back claws. It was especially bad on the top of the sofa, but we also got some of those marks on the cushions.

This is more of a problem when you have more than one cat; however, even one cat can be startled while on the furniture and it is only natural for those back claws to come out when he/she takes a flying leap to safety.

Our vet had assured us that there would be no problem with leather since our cats were missing their front claws; he was wrong.

Oh, and I would also be very cautious about a leather/poly blend. I have heard that they don't hold up well. Even with leather, there are different grades and some of the less expensive grades do not hold up. Our furniture was a high grade, so the cat scratches did not cut all the way through or cause peeling; however, the scratches themselves are deep enough into the colored leather that there is no way to make them invisible.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 AM

The most damage done to furniture is by back claws. Jeans, zippers, buttons you name it you are personally wearing might cause more. I have had leather. A few scratches were worth having what I wanted and also keeping the cats. If they are cats not kittens the odds of it retaining a better look go up a mile. Kittens have to climb to the top, cats jump. only scratches I see are when they are burning rubber to get away (ie big old mean dog walks in..). Its like children. You have them because you WANT them. A cat can destroy a regular couch as well as a leather one. A kid can destroy your couch regardless of what it is too.. its whats more important to you? I wanted both, had both accepted I was not having a showroom house but a good house regardless and it was fine. If someone wont like your home because you have three scratches down the side then they wont like it anyways. Sorry, very opinionated. If you want them never to get on the couch there are products to stop that and if they scratch corners? corner guards avail also a product that you can spray on your sofa and keep them away too.. just means no lap kitties on that couch period. Cant have both.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Sorry meant to say front claws as they climb to hang on not back claws which are only for balance..
Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 AM

"Leather" furniture sold in most stores isn't a true Leather piece. The Leather is only on the parts that are used. Such as the seat cushions (top and bottom) the arms, the front band and the inside back of the furniture. The rest is usually Naugahyde (vinyl to look like leather).

When I owned by Upholstery company, I was hired to custom make two white all leather sofas. One for the customers and the other for their "Cat". Back then leather hides were around $400 each and a typical sofa takes about 12 hides.

Unless you have tons of scratching posts around, leather and cats don't mix.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM

My cat has destroyed my LazyBoy couch that was covered in that highly textured upholstery that you see so much. I am currently recovering the back and sides only in a suede like upholstery fabric that is tightly woven. My husband has a leather recliner and the cat doesn't like the slick texture of the leather. He much prefers that coarse upholstery to sharpen his claws. So my advice is leather is better than upholstery that has texture!!