Left Handed

Old 02-15-2016, 05:47 AM

I'm very left handed and have just learned how to adapt in a right handed world. My mother did her best to teach me sewing and it was frustrating at times but we got thru it. If you're struggling and can find a book that would be great.
Hang in there and good luck.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 AM

Right on, except I sew with my left hand and cut with my right. Yes, there are times when being left handed doesn't help.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
You should have no trouble with being left handed. I am also and never had a problem learning the fanciest stitches. Try this sight.

http://www.needlenthread.com/

Take your time! If this is your first foray into stitching, remember, time and practice = improvements = satisfaction. Show us your plans!

peace
You beat me to this suggestion! In her how-to videos, she often describes how to do the stitches for a lefty. Her explanations on how to do the stitches are clear and easy to understand.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:47 AM

I have a friend who is also left handed. She would put the picture instructions up to a mirror and then it looked left handed. She found this the easiest.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:24 AM

I can't believe I've i never thought of the mirror image. I'm going to try that. Besides being left-handed I have a little directional problem, so I get mixed up!
Old 02-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Another leftie here. I've got the book Elegant Stitches by Judith Baker Montano. She has a section for some left-handed stitches. I've also had success using a mirror, or turning the book/pattern upside down.
You've got some great suggestions here. Hope you find something that works for you!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM

Another lefty here. I worked in a factory for 33 years that every thing was set up for a right handed person. They used to tell me that I couldn't do the jobs because of being lefty, tried everything they could to get me to quit. I told them to get out of my way, she the parts up to suit myself and did every job they gave me. I too crochett I read the pattern and somehow turn it in my mind and go wit it. Never thought about the mirror deal. I too cut right handed. I couldn't find left handed scissors when I started so just taught myself to use them right handed. I've never had a problem with embordiary. I guess I change that in my head too. Never gave much thought to it being for right or left.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:16 PM

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I sew, crochet, knit and do other needle work......... but for some reason....... the embroidery stitches for crazy quilting etc through me for a loop. Just have a mental block when it comes to those embroidery stitches. Thanks again..........
Old 02-19-2016, 06:20 PM

We lefties do adapt well don't we????? That is what I do as I read a pattern I change it in my mind. I am self taught when it comes to quilting, sewing, knitting and crocheting....... somehow I did manage to use a right handed scissors left handed.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:14 PM

I am a lefty as most of you know. I can't do anything left handed though. My Dad said its because I was living in a right handed world. I sew hand sew backwards if that makes sense. As a matter of fact I tend to do a lot of things backwards.
It drives my husband nuts sometimes, that I am in his way because I have to be in the opposite position when working on something. Especially when working on his truck, he will lay everything out on my left and I move to my right side...lol