Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Look what DH brought home today!

Blog Entries

Look what DH brought home today!

DH and my DD went garage sale hunting without me today. This little baby is what he brought home to me. Isn't it cute? I did not know they made such little ones, lol. It has no cutter, uses only a three thread, but it will let me get used to how they work. I think of it as a serger with training wheels. I have the whole weekend to play with it. Not sure how useful it will be, but for $5 I will not complain. If any of you know how useful this will be and for what, please chime in. I am a complete novice with a serger. I had one for a short time last year, but it needed to be serviced which I could not afford, so I let a lady with a new baby adopt it, since she could pay for the servicing and gave me the thirty five I paid for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I was surprised that, when I clicked on the upside-down picture, I got the photo enlarged and right-side up!

Here are Amazon reviews on it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Tiny-Se...ews/B001AAX82Q

And another website review:
    http://www.best-sewing-machines-revi...ny-serger.html

Thanks Prism99 for this helpful hint. So often pictures are displayed upside down.

Ma'am, I am away from my sewing library and cannot give you specific titles but there are a bunch of books about sergers and how to use them and ideas on what to use them for. Until you get a little more settled as to how your new acquisition will merge into your sewing, take a look at the serger books at the library or second hand book stores. I use them for controlling the ratty edges of towels, etc. that I am not ready to assign to the rag bag. Quietly be it spoken, but I have put together a quilt top with them. They do a lovely job of gathering fabric by playing with the feed. A small cord can be run through the threads and gathered or you can serge over a thread and use the thread to closely gather something. There are lots of other things possible. If you are interested, when I get back and can get my hands on the books, I will message you. If anyone else is interested I would be happy to open a new thread and put the info. On it.

I own two: the one threaded with black thread and the one threaded with white. One is mechanical and one is computerized. I switch and swap according to what I want to do with a serger.

Pat

Nice! My husband wouldn't know what it is so he wouldn't have bought it :-)

You were right Prism99, it does work. Never saw this Singer before but it is sure small !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    Great little machine..