Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Looking for Quilt Shops around coastal AL

Blog Entries

Looking for Quilt Shops around coastal AL

I'll be spending time on Dauphin Island in February. I'd appreciate recommendations of quilt shops within a 2 hour drive. Sights along the way would be appreciated by hubby too. :0)

I understand Destin FL has a nice quilt shop.

Thank you!

A & E Pharmacy in Pensacola is one not to be missed! It doesn't look like much from the outside but is wonderful inside. If by chance you are here in your birthday month, sign up for their Club Membership. It's $20 but you get 50% off on a 3 yard cut of fabric your birthday month. It includes backs, so for $20 you can pay $20 to save $40 on a backing fabric, making it a $20 discount. There is also a very nice one in Gautier, MS. The name eludes me but it just south of I-10. And there is Quilting by the Bay in Panama City. But that is further than 2 hours from you. Those are the best in the area. (In my opinion) There are a few sewing machine centers that sell fabric also, but I think these 3 are the best on the Coast. I haven't head of one in Destin. Doesn't mean it's not there.

I forgot to add. There is a Quilt show in Crestview, FL (or close to it) in February. Flying Needles Guild is having the show and a retreat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    I forgot to add. There is a Quilt show in Crestview, FL (or close to it) in February. Flying Needles Guild is having the show and a retreat.
    Thanks for the great information! I'll make sure to put those on my list of places to visit.

Ocean Springs MS has a nice quilt shop only 1 1/2 hr from Dauphin Island Be sure to eat at Torantos sea food resturant

There is a quilt shop in Gulf Shores, Alabama. (Sea Quilt Shoppe on Cotton Creek Dr.) It is in the main floor of an old house. Thought that the gators were going to eat me when I got out of the car and had to overlook the broken flower pots in the yard. However, the fabrics inside were awesome and very reasonably priced. The owner was very helpful and interesting to talk with. If my DH hadn't been with me, I would have bought a ton more fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by babasil View Post
    Ocean Springs MS has a nice quilt shop only 1 1/2 hr from Dauphin Island Be sure to eat at Torantos sea food resturant
    Thanks so much for the recommendation. We make sure to stop at both venues!

Blog Entries
    LOL...my husband helps me put the brakes on too. With gators outside, he'll be inside waiting...waiting...waiting....

Thank you!

S.e.a. Quilt , gulf shores, alabama 251-968-7327

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the shop...I put it on my list.

Blog Entries
    A number of quilters around Nashville have mentioned A&E. They said don't let the outside fool ya....go to the back of the shop and you'll be amazed!

Block Therapy in Gautier, MS is great! The owners are friendly, and the selection of fabrics is great. It is easy to access from I-10. The quilt shop in Ocean Springs, MS has closed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhatch View Post
    Block Therapy in Gautier, MS is great! The owners are friendly, and the selection of fabrics is great. It is easy to access from I-10. The quilt shop in Ocean Springs, MS has closed.
    Thanks for the update on Ocean Springs shop. I've got an activity planned for my husband north of Gautier. It will be a great bargaining chip.

By the way, how is "Gautier" pronounced in MS? I know I'll look like a tourist, but I don't want to sound like a dumb tourist. :0)

It's pronounced Go-shay in Mississippi. Shay rhymes with whey. Enjoy your trip to the coast. Thanks for posting about the SEA Shoppe in Gulf Shores, I didn't know about that one, might make a nice trip when I'm in the mood to get out of town for a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    It's pronounced Go-shay in Mississippi. Shay rhymes with whey. Enjoy your trip to the coast. Thanks for posting about the SEA Shoppe in Gulf Shores, I didn't know about that one, might make a nice trip when I'm in the mood to get out of town for a while.
    Thanks for the info. It's interesting how different areas of the country speak. Lafayette has at least three different pronunciations depending on what state you're in.

Oh, I'm familiar with the Lafayette pronunciations, there's a Lafayette county near Oxford, MS. It is funny, how accents differ. There is also "The Shed" bar b que place in Gautier. It's been on tv a few times. Block Therapy is the shop I was trying to think of the name, it's a delightful shop.

Blog Entries
    Update: I went to Block Therapy and to S.E.A quilt shops. I was very pleased with both.

Thanks for all of the tips!