Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making Quilt Labels

Making Quilt Labels

I have read several ways to make your own quilt labels. Do any of you have a favorite way?

IQ2
    If you have a laser jet printer at home, you can create your label in a word document. Type and lay it out however you like. Cut a piece of freezer paper to 8.5 x 11" size. Iron the fabric you want your label to print on onto the shiny side of the freezer paper. Remove the other paper from your printer and just put the freezer paper/fabric piece in the paper tray. Print out the label, remove the paper backing from the fabric, press with a dry iron to set the ink. You can just hem the label and attach to your quilt, or you can add decorative stitching, borders, etc. as you like.

Tip: write a word on a blank paper, put it into the printer and print the label text on that first to make sure you know which way to load your fabric for printing. You don't want it to print on the back of the fabric.

Also, I usually type the label in a few places on the document with plenty of room in between to separate them. That way if I mess up, or if one smudges I don't have to go through the entire process again.

Thank you for your instructions, IQ2! They are pretty strait forward and easy.

I thought it was a ink jet printer.

I make my quilt labels on the embroidery machine. While I know not everyone is fortunate to have an embroidery machine, it is a great way to make a label. You can do all of the label on the computer in embroidery software then send it to your machine via a USB. I usually a add an embroidery design as well as the wording to the label. I am posting a few pictures of labels that I have made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a basic shaped label........triangle so I only have to hand sew one edge. I use Embird to make my labels adding the recipent's name, month and year they will receive the quilt and made by myself (name). Sometimes I'll add a little extra saying to the label depending on the person. My Embroidery Haven has some free shapes to outline the label.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

At some point, usually before I finish the last corner of the binding, I hoop the backing and embroider the information right onto the fabric using by embroidery machine ("Made by ___ for ___, date, place, event, etc). As Betty J indicated tho, everyone doesn't have an embroidery machine - I just did it by hand before I had the emb machine.

Sometimes I cross-stitch it, sometimes I use my sewing machine, not embroidery machine, but does do letters/numbers. One of the QB members has a post, think its in the tute forum, about how to do an almost invisible label, not sure if you're interested in that, just FYI.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I like to pick out a design and do machine embroidery along with the information

Quote Originally Posted by quilterchibb View Post
    The ink in ink jet printers will run. I believe there is special fabric or a treatment to prevent but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've done it. I'm sure someone else here can fill you in on that.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

IQ2
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterchibb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    The ink in ink jet printers will run. I believe there is special fabric or a treatment to prevent but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've done it. I'm sure someone else here can fill you in on that.
    Yes--I'm so sorry for the slip...it is definitely INK JET printer, and the hot dry iron sets the ink to prevent running.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use transfer pencil to iron on and then embroider by hand. Sometimes just write it on the fabric then embroider.

I think you may be thinking about Bubble Jet Set.
    Bubble Jet Set 2000 and Bubble Jet Rinse are revolutionary new products that have brought to computer quilters a sure fire way to make direct fabric printouts using Inkjet Printers or Inkjet Copiers PERMANENT! Create soft printouts from today's Inkjet printers using YOUR own 100% Cotton and 100% silk fabric. Direct printouts result in a softer finished product than iron-on transfer papers that create a more stiff finish. BJS is very economical per printout! Use Bubble Jet Rinse to preserve your printouts; use it whenever you wash printouts or quilts to help maintain colorfastness of the fabric dyes.

I use my embroidery machine to do the label and then sew it to the back of the quilt.

I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

I hand embroider mine. Hope it's not pictured sideways. :-/

It is. If taken w/iPad or phone, then turn onto it's side to snap pix. If w/camera, in Pix folderR click and rotate clockwise. Don't understand why the "I" products rotate when you upload--seems an easy fix by the makers. But annoying to owners of the products. Sometimes I upload w/o cking, and want to just toss out the window!
    Last edited by mermaid; 06-07-2015 at 04:49 AM.

I usually use Pigma Pens to write on a piece of leftover fabric from the top. Then I put borders on it and sew it down. I have use the Bubble Jet and my printer with mixed results. Some of those have worked out well and some have faded with a few washes. The Pigma Pens seem to always withstand multiple washes.

Blog Entries
    Buy the premade fabric that is made for an inkjet printer(I get a great deal on it from Amazon), heat set it with a dry iron, then careful spraying with "Scotchgard". Allow to dry completely. Works for me.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 06-07-2015 at 08:59 AM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    I have a machine that has letters/numbers built in so that's what I use on matching or complimentary fabric and usually stitch a fancy stitch border around the wording, turn under edges and sew on to quilt back.

Thanks everyone for these ideas. You all are so creative! I don't have an embroidery machine--wish I did. Lots of good instructions here, and your examples are really lovely.