Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
May be quilting related (long) >

May be quilting related (long)

May be quilting related (long)

Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 PM

I had a phone interview on Monday morning. It was a lab in NYC. After the interview they wanted to schedule n in-person interview for the next day. I would not let them know that I am 6 hours away, so at 10AM chaos begins in my house. I was ready to go any minute but had to pack the car, get gas, and all the final details. I took off by 1:00PM and made it here in 5 hours. Traffic was real light. I had my interview on Tuesday. It went well. I am afraid that they have unrealistic expectations but I will deal with that if I get the job offered to me. In the afternoon I went to visit old friends and then just walked in Manhatthan. I was so tired I decided not to go home on Wednesday; I was also hoping for another interview call. As I was getting ready packing on Wednesday night I got the call I was waiting for. They wanted to schedule an interview for Friday. So, I stay another night to go to the interview. On Thursday afternoon they call me to reschedule for Monday afternoon. So, that means that I get to stay here for the weekend. No point driving all day Friday to drive back on Sunday, so here I am. I brought my Featherweight and a project with me, so I am set. DH is looking after the kids for the weekend. Today I got an e-mail from another place trying to schedule an interview next week. Wish me luck!

How is this quilt related? Today, since I had no where to go, I took the train to the Fashion District. I got off on Times square and walked 7th avenue and some of the cross streets. I entered a few stores. OMG!!!I went insane! The fabrics were amazing and THE COLORS!! Incredible! I just got a yard of a satin like fabric. I will post a pic when I get home. I then walked to 25th street to The City Quilter. heir collection of New York fabrics is amazing. I just needed (and could afford) a yard of red fabric. Their prices are not higher than my LQS, but without a job they seem higher. I had a great time playing with a Bernina 830. They even have it cheaper than at my local Bernina Dealer. They gave me the number of a Bernina service center in NY, so Ia m ready for when I move there.

Their classroom is amazing. Ten large tables, each with a Bernina 440, so no one drags their machine around to attend a class. Their classes run between $45.00 for a beginners class to $95 for an advanced one. They had the most beautiful Dear Jane quilt on the board. They have TONS of classes scheduled for the summer.

Tomorrow I may check out the outdoors cafe on Broadway. Last summer they closed some streets and made them open cafes outdoors. This year it was made permanent. Will report if I go.

Maria
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time :thumbup: Can't wait to see the fabric that you picked up :shock: What a wonderful way to spend your extra time . The outdoor cafes sound delightful :mrgreen:
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Wow sounds like a mini vacation with perks. Good luck with the interview.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Power Poster

Good Luck with your interview!!!
Thank you for sharing your stay in NYC with us :D:D:D
This is the only way some of us may ever get there :wink:
Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Hope things go well for you. Sounds like you're enjoying the sights and have your machine to keep you 'company'.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:36 AM

Oh sounds like a grand time, i would love to go to the Fabric district,and visit Mode for sure. Good luck on your interviews.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Aw, sounds like a nice time! Good luck on getting the job!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 AM

Good luck with the interview. I love NYC and I love when I get there alone and can just wander. One of my favorite places is the Strand Bookstore (12th and Broadway). Great great bookstore!
Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like fun. I hope all goes well with your interview. Keep us posted.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Today I walked the Bronx...OK, only one road, with more stores than we have in the whole town of Plattsburgh. I went into a fabric shop that had organza for $1.00/yard and cotton, 108 inches wide, for $3.50 per yard. Is not LQS quality, but after a couple of washes is great for backings. In another shop I saw some fabric dyes and linen. I love linen. Next week before I leave I may stop alone and maybe get some. Is hard to shop for fabrics with a non-quilter because she only point out to me courtain fabrics. I don't even have them at my house. There is a lot of competition here, so their fabrics are extremely low.