MCO Airport in Orlando

Old 01-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
When I fly into a large town for anyone I take a cab to a designated meeting place out of the airport terminal. Makes it so much easier for those picking me up. Might be an idea for you if your parents don't care for the crowded airport traffic.
What a lovely, thoughtful idea!! Thank you for sharing it.

Jan in VA
Old 01-30-2015, 03:10 PM

also, make sure they have their cellphones on and you have yours, that we you can keep in constant touch
Old 01-30-2015, 06:17 PM

Love Rainbow's End! My DH and I are going back to Clearwater next month, but no time to go up to Dunedin.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM

the Orlando airport is very big and can sometimes be confusing. Tell your parents to make sure that they remember which side of the airport they park in...A or B sides. Both sides are identical and can cause someone to get easily confused. Funny story that my husband forgot what side he was in and called me to tell me that our car had been stolen. I calmly told him to go back into the airport and go out the other side.
My daughter lives in Dunedin and is just a couple of blocks away from the Rainbow's End. Make plans to be there a couple of hours and make sure to take time out to go into their little town and have lunch.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:12 AM

The biggest surprise I had at MCO is the need for toll money pretty quickly as you exit the airport. Caught me by surprise and I was traveling alone. Have your change ready.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:26 AM

I agree that if they have not driven to any airport before MCO might not be the one to start with. You might be better off taking a cab to meet them somewhere close. Not only is the airport busy but the toll roads that the airport is located on and the adjacent roads are pretty hectic at most times as well. If you need some suggestions on where to meet them, let me know. Several of us are quite familiar with this area and can recommend a less traveled location close to the airport for you to meet. Having said that, my 20 year old daughter has picked us up there a few times and she was not familiar with the area at all. If they are comfortable with a GPS, it will help as long as they don't get panicked in unfamiliar driving situations.

I am going to Rainbow's End TODAY!!! Love it!! There are a couple of other really good fabric shops in the Orlando/Tampa area that you might not want to pass up if you have time. Let us know if you are interested in others.

Enjoy your trip and your parents.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:04 AM

Airports are well marked. Your parents cannot meet you at the gate. Make arrangements to meet in baggage claim. As long as your parents know your carrier and flight number they can find the carousel where you will be picking up your baggage. As for you, just follow the crowd when you get off the plane down to baggage claim.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:04 AM

If you meet in baggage claim, then you have to park, another hassle. I have done extensive traveling and find it best for them to wait in the cell lot, and you call them when you are ready with the outside location where you will meet. Remember, everyone else will be outside waiting for their ride. Sometimes we walk to another door where it isn't so congested.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM

I fly into Florida every couple of weeks. My driver waits in the cell phone lot. Once I have my suitcases in hand, I call her and she meets me right outside of the baggage area. It's very simple as long as you both have cell phones. I also usually wear a brightly colored scarf so she can easily see me!! Don't worry, it's easier than you think!
Old 02-01-2015, 02:17 AM

Another great shop in the area is happy apple in Palm harbor
Have a great trip
Gale