Memories.....

Old 01-12-2011, 07:41 AM

Quiltbeagle...maybe we're near the same store, I'll meet you there. Think they still sell "Geritol"? :lol:
Old 01-12-2011, 07:48 AM

I must be ancient, I remember all of them. We went to the neighbors to get milk in a gallon jar.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:21 AM

I'm ancient, I remember them all with fondest memories.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:38 AM

I remember them all. When our sm. black and white tv blew a tube we were lucky the tv repair man lived down the street he would put a new tube in, we thought he was wonderful.I can't belive the smallest things made us so happy!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
remember the lot--------older than dirt, thanks Ditter.
Me too!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM

One of my fondest memories is of my dad holding me in his arms as he put a dime into the coke machine to get us a coke, then opening it with the opener on the machine.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Boy - that brings back memories!!!! I lived that era, too.

reminds me....2 weeks ago I went to Walmart....sporting section, and asked where the "pants leg clip for when you ride a bike".....I wanted them to clip the top layer on the quilting machine. The girl looked at me blankly, had no idea what I was talking about. She called a manager over....they both looked at me blankly. I said "never mind, you're too young"...ROL!!!! I'll bet they're still trying to figure it out!
Hello! I know what you are talking about and have seen a similar thing that might work at car repair places.... here we have Auto Zone. Might also be at WalMart too. They are used for holding hoses onto things like the pipes that come out of radiators and I think they are called HOSE CLAMPS. Bet it would work for you! (PS. They are really cheap so if you get a couple and they don't work---just give them to somebody mechanical and you don't lose much!)
Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM

Well, I guess I'm an "ancient one" also. I remember all of these, plus a lot more. I grew up in the 40's and 50's in the country and I remember my mom heating her iron on a wood-burning stove. She had my dad haul buckets of water into the back yard so she could wash. The water was warmed in a big iron pot and then it went into a wringer-type washer and she had two tubs of cold water for rinsing them. When the water got dirty, it was changed to fresh. And, clothes were hung on the line in all kinds of weather. We had a garden that fed us all winter. I don't remember us ever having a "garbage truck" pick up. Our flour and animal feed was brought home in feed sacks that were used for my sisters' and my clothing or anything else mom could make with them. She cooked every meal. We never ate out. She canned in the summer so we'd have food in the winter. She kept a spotless house and it always smelled fresh. I don't know how she did it, but she did. Thanks for bringing back these memories. My sister and I talk about them often, but maybe not often enough.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

I never went without a meal, always had a roof over my head, clothes to wear and quilts to sleep under in the winter and never missed the things we didn't have. Always had something to do and never said "I'm bored."
--------------------------------
Me too. I was raised on a hard scrabble farm but always had something to eat. As for "bored" I was much older before I even knew what such a word meant. I know darn well that should I have voiced such a complaint, 10 things would have instantly been "suggested" for me to do, and that I'd darn well better have done one or more of them.

And I agree with GrandmaPat, I remember all of them. And as for the water for washing, we had two ways of getting it. We could pour water down the cow-tail pump in the kitchen to "prime" it, or go outside the kitchen door and lower a bucket into a deep stone well, then make sure to drop down the safety lid to keep kids and critters out of it. Failure to do so was swift and terrible!!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 AM

I can remember all of these things and what is surprising though is that they were just the same here in Scotland where I was brought up as they were in USA presumably where you were raised. It really is a small world when it comes down to it! Cheers to all of us 'oldies but goodies'