Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Men with meat

Get your minds out of the gutter. I'm talking about men who come to your door selling meat.

Yes! MEAT!!!!

Why on earth would I buy MEAT from some strange dude driving around in a pick up truck selling meat door to door??

Honestly. I stood there in my drive way with my mouth agape when the guy said he was selling MEAT. He was standing there holding a package of steaks (at least he said they were steak) wrapped in butcher paper.

Have any of you seen this yet??

I'm just ... stupified.

Blog Entries
    Boy that's a new one on me.

Sort of like the Mexican ladies at the Foodmaxx parking lot selling tamales. No thanks.

Blog Entries
    Yes, in the 60's. Local farm so I knew I could trust them.

Power Poster
    Some guy would come around selling frozen meat out of his truck at our trailer park in Florida every now and then.

Yep theres a fella that would come around here with a freezer in the back of his pick up. I never bought any but my neighbor did and she said she would buy again, really good meat. I'm just not that trusting either. Could be his neighbors saint benard for all I know.

We have it on a regular basis where people are selling tamales at Christmas time, or they sell fruit on the road side. Sometimes they have meat also. We have rather strict vendor requirements, so I leave it to the police to check that out. But I never buy from them. (Seen one too many shows on illegal kitchens.)

We have had quite a few men in trucks selling meat in the past. So far none have come around this year. I won't do it again. The meat was tough and some of it was so over seasoned who knows if the meat was good or bad.

They used to come into my old job... one time there was a REALLY long black hair in a bag of frozen shrimp, I never bought any because of that..... we don't see much of them these days in our neighborhood, but I do still see men driving around with a chest freezer in the bed of their trucks.... we still get fruit salesmen, going from door to door though.

Blog Entries
    They've knocked on my door a few times but I never buy any. Don't trust them--where is the meat from? Has it been properly refrigarated, etc? Nope not for me!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Shortly after my next door neighbor warned me of this - selling meat at your door from a truck, sure enough had a couple show up - different days.
    Told them I don't eat meat.

Yep. Haven't seen them in awhile, but they would come up to the door and say, "I'm done with my delivery and had some leftover steaks, chops, etc. and was wondering if you wanted any. I can give them to you at a real discount."

Um...no thanks.

And then...on a Sunday morning, we're getting ready for church and the doorbell rings. What?! At 9:30am on a Sunday no less, who is at the door? I opened the door and a gentleman asked me if I wanted to buy some discounted furniture he had on his truck. It was an 18-wheeler sized truck...parked in street - selling furniture. On Sunday. At 9:30 in the morning.

Weird. Of course I said no. Good Lord, could ya wait til maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon? You might find a more willing crowd.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Helovesme
    Yep. Haven't seen them in awhile, but they would come up to the door and say, "I'm done with my delivery and had some leftover steaks, chops, etc. and was wondering if you wanted any. I can give them to you at a real discount."

Um...no thanks.

And then...on a Sunday morning, we're getting ready for church and the doorbell rings. What?! At 9:30am on a Sunday no less, who is at the door? I opened the door and a gentleman asked me if I wanted to buy some discounted furniture he had on his truck. It was an 18-wheeler sized truck...parked in street - selling furniture. On Sunday. At 9:30 in the morning.

Weird. Of course I said no. Good Lord, could ya wait til maybe 2 or 3 in the afternoon? You might find a more willing crowd.
    I would wonder if it was stolen furniture, I know I have a hard time trusting. The time and day as well as selling what they were would raise a red flag.

This is the same line the asphalt driveway scammers use - we just finished a job and had some left over. THen they paint your driveway with old motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts

This is the same line the asphalt driveway scammers use - we just finished a job and had some left over. THen they paint your driveway with old motor oil.
    Crooks!

Actually, I buy meat from 2 different guys in trucks with the meat in the back freezer compartment. It's expensive, but way worth it. It's MUCH better than meat from the grocery store.

I buy my meat from the packing house, cheaper and alot better.

It use to be called Mavrick Meat and it is a ripp off

I have seen guys around town who have big ol chest freezers in back of their pickup and signs saying they are sellign steaks, ect.
    Would I buy from them, probably not. I don't know that much about them and I don't even buy from some of the markets around here because I don't like the way they do their meat. I prefer to drive out to Emmons Meat Market for certain cuts, or cut Safeway who still has actual people working in the meat dept. cutting meat and wrapping.

I have had them visit here a few times. We did buy, several years ago, it was great meat. A little on the expensive side but tender tasty meat.

I don't even trust the meat from the grocery stores. I generally only eat it if someone I know raised it or killed it. I don't eat a lot of meat. So I wouldn't buy it from some stranger in a pickup.

now if Schwan's came up my driveway.....that would be a different story!!

Blog Entries
    I did buy some from a guy a friend from the mountains told me about. Wild pigs, and here they are so difficult to catch and so prolific that you can shoot one per day. No artificial food fed to them, no ground up dead animals fed to them, no hormones, etc.

I loved the meat I got from this source, but wouldn't trust anyone else. I don't buy it much from the grocery store even, maybe once a year or so.

I saw a guy selling seafood from a chest freezer in a truck. Yuck!

There used to be a guy that came around in a refrigerated truck selling frozen fish. I gotta tell you - it was GOOD!

Mom and dad had some come but they were selling citrus fruits. Would be nervous with meat.

Quote Originally Posted by carhop
    It use to be called Mavrick Meat and it is a ripp off
    I don't think this was a "company". Seriously ... it was a dude in an unmarked pick up selling meat door to door.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking sources other than brick and mortar grocery stores or butches. I'm rural and I pass a farm every day that raises male dairy calves. I stopped one day and asked if they sold the meat and he gave me the name of the processor that cuts for him. I also pick wild asparagus (when I can find it), wild mushrooms (when I'm sure what they are), and I eat wild game.

But some strange dude in an unmarked pick up truck going house to house is NOT my idea of "grocery shopping".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast