Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal? >

Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal?

Meniscus Repair..how long did it take to heal?

Old 07-05-2011, 11:35 AM

I had surgery on June 3 for a large tear on the inside and a smaller tear on the outside of the meniscus of my right knee. After a few days of normal post-op pain, I was in heaven! Thought this was the easiest surgery I've ever had. Then, 2 weeks after the surgery, something happened as I was going down stairs and almost fainted from the intense pain in my knee. The dr thinks it is mainly muscle weakness and inflammation, but I may have torn the meniscus again! I am now doing physical therapy for 4 weeks, then the dr will re-evaluate. I took myself off the RX anti-inflammatory drug because it was doing nothing for the pain (I couldn't even gently touch the inside of my knee) and started taking just Advil 3 days ago. Best three days in a long time.

I need to get this better soon because school starts back 3 weeks (4 until kids show up) and then I'm on my feet for 8 hrs a day!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 AM

I had this repair but the meniscus tore out two jelly bean pieces of bone when it snapped. I had physical therapy for quite awhile and that is what helped me. But three months later the other knee went out in sympathy. I was out of work six months altogether.
My knees still feel fragile.
Hope you feel better soon,

Quilter68
Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Hello! I had a meniscus repair on my right knee on 6/10. I still can't straighten my leg, still walking with one crutch, and having some pain when I try to walk? I had no idea it was going to take this long! How long did yours take? Yes, I am in PT. But it is exhausting just trying to get around!! Feeling sort of low here.
I've had five surgeries on my knees; three meniscus repairs and two knee replacements. A lot of the end result depends upon what condition your knee was in before. If you walk, do any type of exercise, it will take less time. If you did no exercise, it will take longer.

I had my last scope in August 2010, and by about a month, I was feeling pretty good. You're not quite at a month. I had my second knee replacement May 5, so I'm two months out as of today. I've noticed that even day to day, I can see changes.

Hang in there. Even if you hate exercising, walking will be very good for you, once it's healed, to keep your knees strong.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Hi, I had my left knee tear fixed 2 summers ago. I didn't have much pain at all but was diligent on going to physical therapy. That helped so much!
The surgery was out-patient and I remember just taking Ibuprofen for a few days and iced it a lot, keeping it elevated as much as possible.
I have cartilage loss in that knee but it's really fine now.
I'm doing Pilates and it doesn't bother it at all.
I realized that the reason that knee wore out faster than the other one is b/c I always bend on my left knee first. Until the tear I never realized it. My other knee is fine.
Good luck!! You'll be fine :)
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Hello! I had a meniscus repair on my right knee on 6/10. I still can't straighten my leg, still walking with one crutch, and having some pain when I try to walk? I had no idea it was going to take this long! How long did yours take? Yes, I am in PT. But it is exhausting just trying to get around!! Feeling sort of low here.
I just re-read this. Is your doctor aware of this???
Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

I would say at least 6 months.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Well..... I had my meniscus surgery on the 26th of April. Only used the crutch the first day. Could get it straight and a great bend right away. It was doing terrific until a week ago. I was walking about a mile every day at a good clip and riding on my recumbent bike for 25 minutes in the mornings. Last Tuesday I rode my bike for 25 minutes, I got off walked across the house and my knee got really tight and then popped when I took another step after standing still for a few. It is hurting all over again. I will have to call my ortho tomorrow and make an appointment to see what I did!

I hope you can get it working great here really soon. Seems that it's taking too long!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM

I had my right knee repaired on March 4, The "tear pain" went away fairly quickly. My Dr. cleaned out some arthrites at the knee cap, he says it could take up to a year before that pain goes away. It is a different kind of pain. But not to be normal I then had a 'small' stroke on 03/06 when has caused some weakness in that leg. Recovering well from the stroke
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 AM

I had meniscus surgery on both knees...right one was 18 months ago and left last May. Only used the crutch the first couple of days. Could straighten the knees after a few days. Right knee if fabulous ...left swells on the inside if I kneel to garden or such for longer than I should. Walk lots and now trying to strengthen by riding my bike. Take care...trust it will heal completely...nothing worse than sore knees....
Old 07-06-2011, 04:37 AM

The secret is to get exercising ASAP. I have had bilateral meniscus repairs. The first one I babied the knee too long and it has never really recovered (3 years now). The other knee, I exercised it, even though it hurt, and now it is as good as new(well almost!).