Men's socks

Old 11-11-2014, 12:45 AM

Default Men's socks

The grandson has gotten out of the Marines. Grandma is very happy I no longer have to worry about people shooting at him. But returning to civilian life is some what of a shock to him and us. He is taking a long distance truck driving course for the next 6 months. He will be all over the US for the next 6 months so we have agreed to babysit his stuff. I did have to re-wash all his cloths. They had a real funk to them, lack of proper washing, storage, male, I don't know. Anyway, while washing the clothes he left, he is in a truck pretty much 24/7, his white socks are not only stretched out but no where close to white any longer. So they went into the trash. Now that I have thrown them away (along with some underwear that was way stretched out) where can I find decent socks, that will last him more than one or two washes? I don't want to pay $12 a pair but I don't want 15 pairs for $12 either. Any suggestions of where or what brand?? He wears an 11 shoes if that matters.

I am a member of Costco, how are theirs??
Old 11-11-2014, 03:52 AM

I buy DH the multi-packs of (I think) Hanes at Walmart. Usually only grey or black though. They seem to hold up very well considering he spends the bulk of the day walking. He wears 'crew' length - not the traditional tube sock. Perhaps the elastic holds up longer because it's not being stretched over the calf all the time???
Old 11-11-2014, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I agree. Hanes seems to wear up quite well and they back up their products. If his socks don't stay white, get a gray or black.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:40 AM

I buy Costco socks for myself and my family...They are great..
Old 11-11-2014, 06:01 AM

I just had to have a chuckle on this one. That's what, if he knew that you had put this on the QB, could have said that you are airing out his dirty laundry. O agree with the vote for Hanes. And yes, by all means, get the gray or black. If he likes white socks, perhaps giving them a good soaking in borax before washing them. In the old days, I used borax to soak diapers (yes I used cloth diapers!) before washing them.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 AM

We have been buying white socks at Costco for my husband for years and they hold up very well. Nice quality.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I just had to have a chuckle on this one. That's what, if he knew that you had put this on the QB, could have said that you are airing out his dirty laundry. O agree with the vote for Hanes. And yes, by all means, get the gray or black. If he likes white socks, perhaps giving them a good soaking in borax before washing them. In the old days, I used borax to soak diapers (yes I used cloth diapers!) before washing them.
Would not be the first time I have aired dirty laundry!!! LOL
Old 11-11-2014, 10:27 PM

I agree that Costco socks are very nice and they are much thicker than the ones you get at WalMart. I get a pack for my son every Christmas because that is the one thing he always needs.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:43 PM

My husband likes the Nike brand socks - we get them at the Nike Outlet or Sports Authority. They come in packages of 6, maybe 12, I can't remember. They are expensive if you buy them at a Nike store or Footlocker store.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:35 PM

Because he will be setting for long periods of time you may want to consider a diabetic sock. These help to improve circulation in the feet and legs and reduce the swelling often caused from setting for long periods of time. There is little difference in the price between these and regular socks. They also come in several colors and can be purchased in the sock section at Walmart or most likely any of the stores that dell socks.

My husbands doctor suggested he wear these when he was doing a lot of traveling several years back. He really liked them and still wears them today although he has been retired for over 10 years.

Last edited by BETTY62; 11-11-2014 at 11:40 PM.