Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines >

This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines

This might end an urban lengend concerning our sewing machines

Old 01-15-2014, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the info!!!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 03:43 PM

It was my pleasure in sharing this info with everyone.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:39 PM

Well said. When I first started quilting everyone said my problems was because I had a Brother machine. A Janome would help me sew straighter etc. These people had ever only had Janome so why such strong opinions against a machine they had never tried. I need a smaller machine for classes etc. I'll now get a Walmart one.(grin)

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I have the same machine, used it in our motor home for many years. I did the piecing on the road and then either did the quilting at home or sent them out to be quilted. I also used it to repair parachutes and uniforms at the racetrack. I just updated to a Innovis 1250D so I can have a larger embroidery hoop. Great little machine. Hopefully this information will help people choose machines, not on their sales location (Walmart/Target/Amazon), but for their dependability, workmanship, and price. I always say to buy the best you can afford. If the Brother sold at Walmart is the one in your price range, get it. Not everyone has the luxury of owning the top-of-the- line Quattro from a dealer.
I am glad Brother stepped up and cleared up this misconception concerning their entry level machines. (I refuse to call them low-end, as they are good machines, not crap as some would like others to believe ). There are good and bad in every line of machines. Pick any brand and you will fine people who adore them and others who have nothing but trouble and regret owning them. Thank you for posting this.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Thank You so much for posting this info.

Dear Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your question. We apologize for the delay in responding to your email.

Brother has two lines of machines. We have a Dealer line, which are our high end machines and are only available thru our Brother Dealers. These machines have more features and capabilities. Then we have our mass market line, which goes out to all of our other resell partners such as Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc. However, if for instance a PE-770 were available thru a Brother Dealer and online, the machine would be the same regardless of where it was sold and not made differently.

Hope this information is helpful. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Brother International Corporation[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2014, 05:03 AM

Tks for this important info. It sure helps to clear up some misconceptions about buying from places other than a "dealer".
Old 01-16-2014, 06:43 AM

I have several Brother machines, one a small embroidery, and I love them all. Simple to use and thread and drop in bobbins, a must have for me. I hate under the machine bobbins. My only other machine is a Baby Lock Jane and it has complicated threading and the underneath bobbin. Do not like it.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:57 AM

When I bought my Brother NX650Q, I was offered free classes with it, but when I explained the nature of my learning disability, I was offered private lessons so I could learn and not be disruptive to a class. The private lessons were also free and the store owner came in on two separate Saturdays (they are not open on weekends) just to help me. Now THAT is customer service.

When my daughter and her friends bought me my Walmart Brother machine, I didn't get free lessons, but it is a much more basic machine and not computerized so lessons were not so important. The biggest difference I have found between the two of them, (other than cost and bells and whistles, of course) is that when I use the Walmart machine, it seems to vibrate more, so I just put it on a couple mouse pads and no more vibration. I have had the Walmart for 12 years, and the NX650Q for 9 years and neither has had to go to the "hospital" yet.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

I have dealt with a near by dealer and not all of them are reputable people. In fact I will never go back there.
I will buy my machines from the internet. I don't need classes and I have another guy I'm going to try for repairs. If and when I need them.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

That is not what I understood from the email at all. I understood it to say, If the dealer sold the same machines as Walmart then they would be the same as Walmart sold. If Walmart sold the high end machines then they would be the same as the dealer sold. The model of machine makes the difference in quality, not where it was bought.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 01-16-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Thanks soooo much for this information. My machine died yesterday (not a Brother), and I was in a dilemma about what to buy next. I had been looking at the Brother line for a while. Now I know that I can purchase with confidence. Thanks again!