Must be a new phone scam.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:22 PM

I answered the phone without looking, and the guy called me by my name. He said that I had been approved for a reverse mortgage. I laughed, and then he said if I was a senior citizen I was eligible. I laughed again telling him I was only 29. Haven't had anymore calls about that one.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:46 PM

My caller ID once showed a call from Jesus Christ. I can't believe they had the huevos to use his name like that! Felt that was OVER the line. I now answer as a business "Thank you for calling ..... How may I help you?" (We ARE self-employed.) They usually hang up. If they start talking, I ask "You do realize this is a business?" It has taken about 8 months, but my calls have gone from 30 a day to 2-3 a week.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

I only answer calls if names show on caller id that I know. I have gotten calls from local numbers too. Doesn't impress me.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:39 PM

If I don't recognize the number I let my answering machine get it. We still have a land line but we both have cell phones too. Last week the house phone rang. I listened to the answering machine and found out it was the IRS and they had a warrant out for my arrest. The accent was so thick I had to play it about 5 times to understand what they were saying. My husband and I had a good laugh over that one. A few months ago my 82 year old mother got a call telling her there was a problem with her computer. She said, " that's funny, I don't even have a computer"! They hung up on her! haha I also got a call thanking me for recently visiting their resort somewhere and had won something. I rarely get out of town, much less go stay anywhere. These calls are constant even on our cells. Just like clockwork on Monday morning at 8 o'clock we start getting calls. Annoying because we are retired and sleep later than that. I wish there was some way to stop these calls but I guess that's just wishful thinking.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 PM

There is a way to stop the calls. Put those numbers on the "Do Not Call List". You will be on the list for one year, then have to re-sign up every year.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I really had to laugh when I got a spam call from my own number!! Yep that's what showed up as caller ID.
I got one from my own number too....only I wanted to call and try to report them, but who would they have caught? ME!!!!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Any number that comes up on my cell phone, without being identified must leave a message and I will call back if it is a real call. All others we are now keeping a list of the sales calls to turn over to the FCC since we are on the "do not call list". You only have to have a name or number to file the complaint. Lately we are getting local calls that start " Since you have stayed in one of our resorts recently....". I have never been to any kind of resort!
Old 05-21-2017, 03:15 AM

These calls are being generated by computers. People now use internet phones VOIP. This means that a dishonest person can program it to look like any number they choose. I like so many of you do not answer if I don't recognize the number.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:04 AM

Wait till you see your own number on the caller ID. That's a trick of spammers. Yes, they route their number somehow thru another. As I've been hit with the microsoft scammers and they were able to connect to my computer thru my cable line - phone line so I cancelled my landline. The last time they called me before I had I ran downstairs to disconnect the cable line just in case they decided to do one last thing to my computer. Haven't gotten too many telemarketers or scam artist on my cell phone yet and I've had this phone number for quite a few years. Doesn't seem to matter that you're listed on the "No call" list either.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:19 AM

We have received calls when the caller ID shows the call is from OUR VERY OWN PHONE NUMBER. I can't understand how this is possible, but it has happened more than once. Our local news station reported on a new scan that is so frightening. The caller said he was holding the man's daughter for ransom. There was a woman screaming in the background. He was told not to disconnect the call and not to alert authorities. He was instructed to go to the bank and withdraw a certain amount of money. The man was all set to wire transfer the money when he received a call from his daughter. If she hadn't called when she did, he would have transferred the money. The man was interviewed on the news report and, of course, he said it was the most frightening hour of his life....I'm sure it was.