Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: To My Friends in the Houston Area

To My Friends in the Houston Area

I am toying with the idea of someday seeing the quilt show in Houston. I have already been looking at bus fares, and plane fares to get an idea of what I will be up against financially.

(at this point I am thinking I may have to save for a couple of years), but I have never been to Texas, and it strikes me that this would be a good way to see a tiny bit of it.

There seems to be a large number of hotels to choose from. Can you tell me which ones would be good? Is there anything else I need to consider aside from the obvious, food, hotel, charges for the show etc?

Thanks so much.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Oh I hope you get some answers soon. I moved from Houston in 1989 when they were building the Convention Center where the Quilt show is now held. A year ago I got tickets for my best friend to attend and take her daughter. Wish I'd been with them. Good luck and have fun when you do go!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    First, check out this site. http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival

Then google a map of downtown Houston and find hotels within walking distance of the convention center.
    There is a shuttle bus from the festival to several hotels in the downtown area, they will be listed on the site, otherwise you'll wish you had a car to get around. Parking can be a problem, but the show has valet parking as well, and you may find it worth the daily price to have that taken care of for you.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Don't try to do it on one day! If you can, take some classes. Food in the facility is a little expensive but good. If you can afford the hotels connected to the show with shuttles, you would probably enjoy that. You would not need to worry about parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
    I am toying with the idea of someday seeing the quilt show in Houston. I have already been looking at bus fares, and plane fares to get an idea of what I will be up against financially.

(at this point I am thinking I may have to save for a couple of years), but I have never been to Texas, and it strikes me that this would be a good way to see a tiny bit of it.

There seems to be a large number of hotels to choose from. Can you tell me which ones would be good? Is there anything else I need to consider aside from the obvious, food, hotel, charges for the show etc?

Thanks so much.

You will will not be sorry. It is a great but somewhat overwhelming show due to its size and the volume of vendors. Go online to Village Tours bus company as they take a bus every year. It is well worth the cost as it is ALL quilters, hotels and some meals are included as is the entrance fee for the show. They make stops at several shops along the way. Red Bud Tours also takes a trip to Houston and Anita is fun to travel with.

Blog Entries
    Having never been to the Houston show, I'd like to jump in here and suggest you try Paducah first. I see you're located in OK, so it might be close enough to make it a road trip with someone you love to travel with. But, in all fairness, I almost missed out on the Paducah show because of my being a day late and a dollar short everywhere I go. A friend and I just barely made a hotel reservation when I called in last week--they had two open reservations and I was lucky enough to get one. We could drive up and back in one day, but it is a 3 hour drive from our house to Paducah, and parking is a problem when you get there late in the day.

Join AQS, and your tickets are cheaper for both shows. I love the Paducah show, and feel like the Houston show is too big to enjoy. Plus, I am not that crazy about Houston and their horrendous traffic problems. At this point, I don't feel inclined to "go big or stay home".....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Valet parking at the George R Brown Convention center last years was $20 upfront, otherwise self parking is close and up to several blocks away for about $10. I valet parked and saved my walking for inside!
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Never been to Houston but, I hope you get to go.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Parking will not be a problem for me, as I no longer have a car. It will probably be either taxi, or if I get a hotel close enough, I will be walking.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I've been so lucky to go to Houston not once but 3 times. I stay at a hotel straight down from the convention center (trying to recall the name -- Downtown Courtyard Marriott). It is close enough to walk (which is nice if you are taking classes and sitting all day. Just a block the other way is a McDonalds where we had breakfast every day) The Houston Pavilion is right across the street with great restaurants to choose from. There is a hotel shuttle for the days you don't want to walk. You can also have the shuttle pick you up and take you back to the hotel. Cost of the shuttle is a tip for the driver. Close to the convention center is a wonderful deli with a great salad bar -- we had different salads every evening. We fly in on Sunday and leave the following Sunday.

The classes are wonderful! I've taken two day seminars, full day classes, half day classes, done the luncheons, and have gone on a bus trip to LaGrange to see the quilt museum there. The vendor mall is fabulous, and the quilts are beyond description.

I usually plan on spending about $2000.00 for air fare, hotel, classes, food and what ever I want to spend. It is worth every penny! I would recommend you get an old catalog and read it front to back -- it contains a wealth of information. Reading it over will give you an idea how classes are organized. You will see them listed by type and day.

Oh man, I'm talking myself into going back!!
    Last edited by Nammie to 7; 04-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just read my American Patchwork Quilting magazine and noticed a tour for Paducah and also for Houston by CountryHeritageTours.com Check them out and have loads of fun for all of us.

Blog Entries
    If you can afford it, I HIGHLY recommend http://countryheritagetours.com/ My friend and I took one last year to New England and it was the best tour ever. This way you also get to see a little more of Texas We are hoping they offer one to Europe as we are saving up our money for that.
    As for the Houston show - good shoes, large shopping bag, bring an empty water bottle and snack bars to save your money for the vendors. if you are there on SUN - some of the vendors reduce their prices after noon - just ask.
    Living in Texas I go every year and even went just 3 weeks after major surgery --- took many rest stops.
    "Love and kindness are never wasted. They always make a difference. They bless the one who receives them, and they bless you, the giver." Barbara De Angelis

Don't forget, hotels book quickly. Sometimes a year in advance.

Blog Entries
    I live in Houston..and went to the show this past year...loved all of it...the valet parking sign was so small we missed it but wound up parking for $10 a block away...yes by all means wear comfortable shoes..carry a big bag..and lots of $$..there are vendors that have good prices but not very many...and lots of beautiful quilts..but patterns were rather expensive.. You will love the experience...I bought mostly fat quarters for my fall quilt I'm making...got a lot of variety in those...Hope you get to make it this year...

Blog Entries
    I've been to Houston twice, stayed at the Embassy Suites both times. It's 2 blocks from the convention center. The Hilton is right across the street from the convention center, but we picked ES because they have a full, cook-to-order breakfast every morning, and in the evenings a hosted happy hour with snacks that we ate for dinner. Who needs food when you are in your Happy Quilt Place, right? We walked a couple of blocks to a deli, brought snacks and drinks to store in our mini-fridge, and we figure what extra we spent on the hotel rooms, we managed to save in car rentals, parking, and food. We did so good with our food budget that we were able to splurge on our last meal in Houston at Mia Bella Trattoria, which is excellent, by the way.

Blog Entries
    I have a room at Doubletree downtown where I books 2 weeks after getting back last year I have my flight that was booked in Feb got a deal $228 and last year I paid $350. So more for spending this year I have been going for many years and this vacation is just for me!