Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
To My Friends in the Houston Area >

To My Friends in the Houston Area

To My Friends in the Houston Area

Old 04-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Default To My Friends in the Houston Area

I am toying with the idea of someday seeing the quilt show in Houston. I have already been looking at bus fares, and plane fares to get an idea of what I will be up against financially.

(at this point I am thinking I may have to save for a couple of years), but I have never been to Texas, and it strikes me that this would be a good way to see a tiny bit of it.

There seems to be a large number of hotels to choose from. Can you tell me which ones would be good? Is there anything else I need to consider aside from the obvious, food, hotel, charges for the show etc?

Thanks so much.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

Oh I hope you get some answers soon. I moved from Houston in 1989 when they were building the Convention Center where the Quilt show is now held. A year ago I got tickets for my best friend to attend and take her daughter. Wish I'd been with them. Good luck and have fun when you do go!!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

First, check out this site. http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...e=FallFestival

Then google a map of downtown Houston and find hotels within walking distance of the convention center.
There is a shuttle bus from the festival to several hotels in the downtown area, they will be listed on the site, otherwise you'll wish you had a car to get around. Parking can be a problem, but the show has valet parking as well, and you may find it worth the daily price to have that taken care of for you.

Jan in VA
Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 AM

Don't try to do it on one day! If you can, take some classes. Food in the facility is a little expensive but good. If you can afford the hotels connected to the show with shuttles, you would probably enjoy that. You would not need to worry about parking.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I am toying with the idea of someday seeing the quilt show in Houston. I have already been looking at bus fares, and plane fares to get an idea of what I will be up against financially.

(at this point I am thinking I may have to save for a couple of years), but I have never been to Texas, and it strikes me that this would be a good way to see a tiny bit of it.

There seems to be a large number of hotels to choose from. Can you tell me which ones would be good? Is there anything else I need to consider aside from the obvious, food, hotel, charges for the show etc?

Thanks so much.

You will will not be sorry. It is a great but somewhat overwhelming show due to its size and the volume of vendors. Go online to Village Tours bus company as they take a bus every year. It is well worth the cost as it is ALL quilters, hotels and some meals are included as is the entrance fee for the show. They make stops at several shops along the way. Red Bud Tours also takes a trip to Houston and Anita is fun to travel with.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM

Having never been to the Houston show, I'd like to jump in here and suggest you try Paducah first. I see you're located in OK, so it might be close enough to make it a road trip with someone you love to travel with. But, in all fairness, I almost missed out on the Paducah show because of my being a day late and a dollar short everywhere I go. A friend and I just barely made a hotel reservation when I called in last week--they had two open reservations and I was lucky enough to get one. We could drive up and back in one day, but it is a 3 hour drive from our house to Paducah, and parking is a problem when you get there late in the day.

Join AQS, and your tickets are cheaper for both shows. I love the Paducah show, and feel like the Houston show is too big to enjoy. Plus, I am not that crazy about Houston and their horrendous traffic problems. At this point, I don't feel inclined to "go big or stay home".....
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM

Valet parking at the George R Brown Convention center last years was $20 upfront, otherwise self parking is close and up to several blocks away for about $10. I valet parked and saved my walking for inside!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Never been to Houston but, I hope you get to go.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

Parking will not be a problem for me, as I no longer have a car. It will probably be either taxi, or if I get a hotel close enough, I will be walking.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 AM

I've been so lucky to go to Houston not once but 3 times. I stay at a hotel straight down from the convention center (trying to recall the name -- Downtown Courtyard Marriott). It is close enough to walk (which is nice if you are taking classes and sitting all day. Just a block the other way is a McDonalds where we had breakfast every day) The Houston Pavilion is right across the street with great restaurants to choose from. There is a hotel shuttle for the days you don't want to walk. You can also have the shuttle pick you up and take you back to the hotel. Cost of the shuttle is a tip for the driver. Close to the convention center is a wonderful deli with a great salad bar -- we had different salads every evening. We fly in on Sunday and leave the following Sunday.

The classes are wonderful! I've taken two day seminars, full day classes, half day classes, done the luncheons, and have gone on a bus trip to LaGrange to see the quilt museum there. The vendor mall is fabulous, and the quilts are beyond description.

I usually plan on spending about $2000.00 for air fare, hotel, classes, food and what ever I want to spend. It is worth every penny! I would recommend you get an old catalog and read it front to back -- it contains a wealth of information. Reading it over will give you an idea how classes are organized. You will see them listed by type and day.

Oh man, I'm talking myself into going back!!

Last edited by Nammie to 7; 04-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.