Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My husband retired today!!!

My husband retired after 20 years as an engineer with the IRS. His party was tonight. I am so excited about him getting to do some of the stuff he's wanted to do for so many years. When he started, retirement was something we thought would never happen. Now it has :!:

Many happy years of retirement!

Congrats! Try not to kill him! ;) I'm teasing! You'll have lots of fun.

My DH retired from IBM after 30 years. He worked for another 12 years at various jobs before finally accepting social security at age 62. He's now volunteering and enjoying it immensely.

my mother used to say,, when the hubby goes on retirement,, the wifes job gets harder,,lol.. I wish you and your hubby many happy retirment years!

Actually, I have one more year to go, so he will do all the cooking and grocery shopping. :thumbup: Then, after dinner I can just sew :lol: And yes, he loves my work. He finds it amazing. It's nice to have an appreciative audience.

Pam
    Wonderful news. Beware, after a couple of weeks, time to have a girl's day out!

I am so happy for him and for you! I wish you many happy years of retirement. Congratulations!

Blog Entries
    CONGRATS !

Now it is Honey Do time :wink: Hope he enjoys himself :thumbup:

JJs
    Banned
    You know, I feel really sorry for all those people who say it's hard on the wife when the hubby retires, or you'll get tired of him being around or whatever...
    My DH retired TEN years ago (seems like yesterday) and I have been SO THANKFUL to have him out of that gawdawful factory and able to enjoy life - he worked 30 years of swing shift, had open heart surgery (for a hole in his heart), and we wondered if he'd ever make it to retirement, let alone enjoy it for years.
    I love having him around - we go everywhere together - altho I do go to quilt guild (sometimes) without him - if the lady I ride with doesn't go - he drives me!
    Tomorrow we are going to a quilt show.
    He works out in the yard - his hobby, I quilt...
    This is one wife who's been married a long time (going on 45 years) who's tickled to pieces to have DH retired and hanging around!
    (altho, he has been known to be a poophead - buwahahahaaaa)

My hubby retired in 1991. Took care of his mother for 3 years and before we could turn around, we were taking care of my mother who lived 500 miles from us. I would go and stay 2 and 3 months at a time, alternating with my younger sister. I did that for 19 years. She died in July 2005, and we thought we would be able to travel as he had been wanting to, but in the middle of inventorying her estate, DH had a heart attack. Long story short he passed away 2 days before Thanksgiving in 2005. Mother's estate is still not final, but getting close.
    When he first retired, I stayed angry for almost a year and it was hard to hide it, but I think I did a fair job of doing so. When he worked, he left home at6:15 am and got home most times at 8:00 pm His dept was required to work a lot of overtime, instead of hiring an additional worker. He worked for Civil Service at Ft. Sill. It seemed like I didn't have any alone time anymore. But it soon worked out well until his passing.

Congratulations!

I hope retirement is wonderful.

My DH retired ablout 10 or so years ago. We have had ups and downs, but he has to keep his mind and body busy or he gets 'dull'. He finally has some carpentry/building work he is doing with a neighbor (they just built a 24' x 40' poll barn), will be siding a mtn. home next month, and I keep him plenty busy with projects around here. He actually wants a 'Honey-Do' list at all times. He also volunteers as a driver for the DAV a few times a month, runs the mens Bible study at church, and is their 'maintenance' man. He's happy, I'm happy.
    We still find plenty of time to be together and have fun even though it is on about 2/3 the money he made when working as a cop. He too admires my quilting and crocheting. We garden together and play together and have for almost 36 years. He even cooks and does dishes. NO laundry, please. I like whites white, not pink. :oops:
    I too feel sorry for those who have a hard time together.
    Keeping healthy mentally and physically and active with a faith of some type helps. Good luck.

congratlations!!!

My husband retired about 11 years ago then worked at different part-time jobs for about five years. I was working part time myself but when I retired so did he full time. It is a little hard to have him around all of the time but most of the time it is great. Having the computer especially in the winter is a big help. He has a classic car he messes with and a motorcycle he can ride in the summer. These keep him busy when he's not doing yard work. The worst part is he won't clean up after himself when he fixes himself something to eat but that's minor.

I'm very happy for the two of you. I hope you have a long and happy retirement.

If you should need some "girl time" I'm right next door here in Sachse :)

Congrats!

congrats,my husband has been retired for 16 years after being in a paper mill for 34 years, he has enjoyed every min of his retirement and s have i,

Woohoot! Congrats! The summer time is the perfect time to begin retirement - go hit those golf courses!

QuiltingD, we'll have to meet at Suzy's or somewhere else.

I do have girl time anytime I want it. I have a friend who will go with me shopping anytime anywhere, and my hubby is glad to have me do what I want. He has so many hobbies and interests that he will never get bored or want to hang around bothering me. We also really enjoy spending time together, so I am looking forward to that.

Banned
    Congrats! Keep him busy and out of the house!! :lol: :lol:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats that is wonderful! Hope he enjoys retirement as much as my dh does. He retired in 1990 and hasn't missed a day of it. We do lots together and he is my best friend, i love having him around. he is 72 going on 40, just bought himself a motor scooter and planning trips for us.. I am scared but packed LOL

where did u get the pic of my husband in the boat????

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by thequilterslink
    where did u get the pic of my husband in the boat????
    :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast