Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My knife sharpening excursion >

My knife sharpening excursion

My knife sharpening excursion

Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM

Default My knife sharpening excursion

I have 5 chef knives I am very partial to have gone dull. My husband usually sharpens them for me.
He is busy with his own project at the moment. So he set me up with his knife sharpening set, http://lansky.com/index.php/products...-stone-system/ along with this http://lansky.com/index.php/products/universal-mount/

This kit works so well, so easy to work and is almost fool proof. My knives are sharper than when they first came out of the package. I think I nicked myself about 4 times with the first one I worked on. As they say I could shave a gnat's chin with my knife now......lol
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM

I bought a knife sharpener at a flea market on Big Pine Key years ago and I love it. It is quite small and fits in my utensil drawer. It has 2 wheels overlapping each other and I just wet my knife and run it through the space between the 2 wheels and I get a sharp knife every time. I know what you mean about nicking yourself as I have done that twice this month and once was slicing fresh strawberries.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Nice tool. Looks like fun. I've been sharpening my own for many years.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

May I send my knives to you to sharpen?!! I have a stone (a rod with handle like I remember seeing my grandfather use at the dinner table) but have no idea that I'm doing it well. The knives are better after sharpening but don't seem to retain that edge for long. Wish you weren't on the opposite coast, Chase!!

Jan in VA
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
May I send my knives to you to sharpen?!! I have a stone (a rod with handle like I remember seeing my grandfather use at the dinner table) but have no idea that I'm doing it well. The knives are better after sharpening but don't seem to retain that edge for long. Wish you weren't on the opposite coast, Chase!!

Jan in VA
Me too, Maw!!

Oh the trouble we could get into......lol
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 AM

There is nothing better than working with a sharp knife! Particularly one that fits your hand well, is an old friend and suddenly has new life again!

Enjoy.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:11 AM

I finally bought a good electric knife sharpener about twenty years ago, after many years of using only hand held sharpeners. I wish I had bought one many, many years ago. I have a small kitchen, but it has a place on my kitchen counter so I can use it when needed. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I tell young cooks that there are two appliances I wish I had spent the money and bought early in my life - a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a good electric knife sharpener.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
There is nothing better than working with a sharp knife! Particularly one that fits your hand well, is an old friend and suddenly has new life again!

Enjoy.
Exactly, that is why I have 5 of them.........haha I bought all they had at Target 9 years ago on clearance. Even sent a couple to my daughter in Oklahoma and my Mom.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I finally bought a good electric knife sharpener about twenty years ago, after many years of using only hand held sharpeners. I wish I had bought one many, many years ago. I have a small kitchen, but it has a place on my kitchen counter so I can use it when needed. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I tell young cooks that there are two appliances I wish I had spent the money and bought early in my life - a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a good electric knife sharpener.
I love my stand mixer, I use more than I do my hand mixer.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
May I ask what electric knife sharpener you purchased? Thanks