Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My knife sharpening excursion >

My knife sharpening excursion

My knife sharpening excursion

Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM
  #1  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasing Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 8,770
Default My knife sharpening excursion

I have 5 chef knives I am very partial to have gone dull. My husband usually sharpens them for me.
He is busy with his own project at the moment. So he set me up with his knife sharpening set, http://lansky.com/index.php/products...-stone-system/ along with this http://lansky.com/index.php/products/universal-mount/

This kit works so well, so easy to work and is almost fool proof. My knives are sharper than when they first came out of the package. I think I nicked myself about 4 times with the first one I worked on. As they say I could shave a gnat's chin with my knife now......lol
Chasing Hawk is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM
  #2  
Super Member
 
Fabric Galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,283
Default

I bought a knife sharpener at a flea market on Big Pine Key years ago and I love it. It is quite small and fits in my utensil drawer. It has 2 wheels overlapping each other and I just wet my knife and run it through the space between the 2 wheels and I get a sharp knife every time. I know what you mean about nicking yourself as I have done that twice this month and once was slicing fresh strawberries.
Fabric Galore is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 03:56 PM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: here
Posts: 722
Default

Nice tool. Looks like fun. I've been sharpening my own for many years.
popover is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM
  #4  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Posts: 8,559
Default

May I send my knives to you to sharpen?!! I have a stone (a rod with handle like I remember seeing my grandfather use at the dinner table) but have no idea that I'm doing it well. The knives are better after sharpening but don't seem to retain that edge for long. Wish you weren't on the opposite coast, Chase!!

Jan in VA
Jan in VA is offline  
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM
  #5  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasing Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 8,770
Default

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
May I send my knives to you to sharpen?!! I have a stone (a rod with handle like I remember seeing my grandfather use at the dinner table) but have no idea that I'm doing it well. The knives are better after sharpening but don't seem to retain that edge for long. Wish you weren't on the opposite coast, Chase!!

Jan in VA
Me too, Maw!!

Oh the trouble we could get into......lol
Chasing Hawk is offline  
Old 06-29-2017, 02:49 AM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 5,472
Default

There is nothing better than working with a sharp knife! Particularly one that fits your hand well, is an old friend and suddenly has new life again!

Enjoy.
NJ Quilter is offline  
Old 06-29-2017, 04:11 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Posts: 939
Default

I finally bought a good electric knife sharpener about twenty years ago, after many years of using only hand held sharpeners. I wish I had bought one many, many years ago. I have a small kitchen, but it has a place on my kitchen counter so I can use it when needed. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I tell young cooks that there are two appliances I wish I had spent the money and bought early in my life - a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a good electric knife sharpener.
paoberle is offline  
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
  #8  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasing Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 8,770
Default

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
There is nothing better than working with a sharp knife! Particularly one that fits your hand well, is an old friend and suddenly has new life again!

Enjoy.
Exactly, that is why I have 5 of them.........haha I bought all they had at Target 9 years ago on clearance. Even sent a couple to my daughter in Oklahoma and my Mom.
Chasing Hawk is offline  
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 AM
  #9  
Super Member
Thread Starter
 
Chasing Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 8,770
Default

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I finally bought a good electric knife sharpener about twenty years ago, after many years of using only hand held sharpeners. I wish I had bought one many, many years ago. I have a small kitchen, but it has a place on my kitchen counter so I can use it when needed. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I tell young cooks that there are two appliances I wish I had spent the money and bought early in my life - a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a good electric knife sharpener.
I love my stand mixer, I use more than I do my hand mixer.
Chasing Hawk is offline  
Old 06-30-2017, 04:46 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
mlt150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Catlin, Il
Posts: 218
Default

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I finally bought a good electric knife sharpener about twenty years ago, after many years of using only hand held sharpeners. I wish I had bought one many, many years ago. I have a small kitchen, but it has a place on my kitchen counter so I can use it when needed. A dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one. I tell young cooks that there are two appliances I wish I had spent the money and bought early in my life - a Kitchenaid stand mixer and a good electric knife sharpener.
May I ask what electric knife sharpener you purchased? Thanks
mlt150 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Janstar
Pictures
2
07-20-2012 12:19 PM
Janstar
Pictures
17
07-20-2012 12:18 PM
gramalama9
General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
5
04-13-2011 09:51 AM
Little Sew n' Sew
Main
13
11-13-2010 03:31 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


FREE Quilting Newsletter


SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.