Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My late mother-in-laws tip

My late mother-in-laws tip

I've just finished reading yesterdays post concerning square quilts vs rectangle quilts. Dunster said she preferred square quilts because you don't have to figure out which way they go on a bed. My late mother-in-law gave me a tip years ago about putting a small safety pin on the bottom edge (underneath side) of the quilt or bedspread. When you are remaking a bed, find this safety pin and it will always tell you that this is the bottom edge. I've even used this same tip for fitted sheets. Never a problem in making the beds, and you don't have to remove the safety pins before doing laundry. Haven't had one come out yet.
    Thought this tip might come in handy for someone.

Blog Entries
    I love this idea. You mother-in-law was a very smart lady. I have a sampler quilt that I always have to count the number of rows to tell which is the top and bottom. I am going to go put a safety pin on it now while I am thinking of it.

That's a lot of extra brain work to figure out side to side top or bottom for a quilt. If I can't tell then it makes no difference to me. I remember my grandmother used to mark the fitted sheets with a diaper pin in one corner. She liked the big pin, much faster to find. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    It is these little simple things that can make a difference in making a task a bit easier. Thanks so much. I know what I will be doing from now on.

Practical solutions are the best. Thanks for the tip.

Blog Entries
    Where's the LIKE button on here!!!
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    i wish i'd done that with my fitted sheet! took me six tries to get it to fit!!!!!!
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Great tip! I have such a problem with my fitted sheets in figuring out the top & sides. I have never put one on yet that I did right the first time. And with these new, thick, heavy mattresses these days the less I have to fiddle with the sheets the better. I'm off to put pins on my sheets!

Blog Entries
    good tip... thanks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

For non-directional quilts, does it make a difference? For directional quilts, it's obvious which end goes at the head of the bed. Or am I missing something? I would think that putting non-directional quilts on the same way every time (using the pin method) would cause uneven wear, with the top end always being tugged on during the night.

For fitted sheets, I think I'm going to either stitch "top" or "side" or use a Sharpie. I tell myself I will do that every time I toss it on wrong and get frustrated.

Love the tip! I buy fitted sheets with damask stripes so I can tell how they should go on the bed. LOL!

Ditto Rhonda K's post!

Elderly friend put safety pin in waistband as it helped her distinguish her black ones from her navy ones. She was boarding a plane & kept setting off the metal detector until it dawned on her it was the pin. She loved telling that story.

Thank you! I'm going to stick a safety pin on the fitted sheet that's on my bed right now! I can't begin to tell you the trouble I have with full-size sheets. To my old eyes, they look the same size on all directions!

On fitted sheets, I note which corner the label is sewn into and which corner it fits onto. From then on, that is where I start when making up the bed.

For quilts, I have gotten in the habit of always putting the label in the bottom left corner of the backing. This then is the corner that I put on my side of the foot of the bed.

Great tip, I have one quilt I use its not quite square so this maybe a way to mark the slightly longer way when matching up with my electric blanket.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

My bed is square so the sheets are square. So any way the fitted sheet goes on fits, thank goodness. Little things like that add up, either to be a dreaded chore or one that no one minds doing.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Great idea! I also remember reading a tip where the quilter used a striped backing or put a strip of piecing (or another fabric) down the length of the backing. She easily knew which way the quilt went on the bed because of the vertical stripe/s on the backing.

I sew a scrap piece of fabric on to the sheets rather than a safety pin. It seems safer to me just in case it comes undone.

Blog Entries
    We finally realized and did something like this with our fitted sheets. Good tip, we need more from our ancestors. They knew how to get things done.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

I am going to expand this idea a little bit. We have a round table and I made several tablecloths for it. I used thread markings in the hem to mark the straight of grain. When I take the tablecloth out of the dryer I find the mark so I know where to fold it so I can iron it straight. That way it hangs evenly around the table. Without the mark I would not know where to begin.

In pajama bottoms that I make for myself, I have to mark the inside of the waistband with contrasting thread, to show the front from the back. Nothing like putting pajamas on backwards. Not comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Gnome View Post
    In pajama bottoms that I make for myself, I have to mark the inside of the waistband with contrasting thread, to show the front from the back. Nothing like putting pajamas on backwards. Not comfy!
    I put a patch pocket on my pajama pants and now its easier to put them on right.
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

What a great idea and so simple.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I hand baste a small square of bright fabric on the back side of the "foot" of my quilts.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast