Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "My" rules for showing someone eles a quilt I have made - -

Power Poster

"My" rules for showing someone eles a quilt I have made - -

I might mention where I got the idea and why I used the fabrics I did -
    or where I got the fabrics - and how much I paid for the fabrics -

I might mention what I did to prepare the fabrics or if there were any problems with any of them -

I might mention what glitches/errors/problems I had in the process and what I did about them -

I do not choose to point out/explain/apologize for any mistakes/anomolies that I missed.

I figure the viewer is allowed some "I Spying" time to spot whatever I missed. No need to make it easier for him/her!

I show off my quilt to any one that wants to see it. I offer no reason or excuse for what it is. I may say how long it took me to make or why I made it but that's all.

One guild member pointed out a mistake on one of my quilts to everyone during show and tell. I said playfully, I don't worry about mistakes but you can worry about it if you want. Everyone laughed.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 09-15-2015 at 10:56 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I don't think that anybody would care how much you paid for the fabric. Where you got your idea is nice along with any solutions that you found by making the quilt.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I take my quilts to work for show and tell. There are over eighty women there. I show them in the cafeteria through the day and the only thing I ever say about them is " Wait till you see this one." then I just just agree and thank them when they tell me how pretty they are. They never know the trouble I had or the mistakes I made in any one of them. What would be the reason for pointing out mistakes?

People that don't know very much about quilting only know that they like what they see. It makes them happy to see a pretty quilt and that makes me happy.

People that know quilting, already know the complexity of the work and understand mistakes happen. We talk!

peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I refuse to admit my quilts are anything short of perfection.

I usually tell people the kind of reaction I'm expecting:
    I brought my new quilt for you to admire. OR
    I always admire your quilts. Do you have any suggestions for my beautiful, finished quilt for the next time?

That way no one should be telling me to take a seam ripper to something I consider done. And on top of that, silly people who don't even quilt (who get comment #1) are disinvited from critiquing my quilts. If you think I could do better, make one yourself! Drives me crazy when I have a perfectly beautiful quilt & somebody who can't even stitch together a pillowcase tells me it would "look even better" if I went back and added more hand appliqué, did a 1/2" instead of a 1" stipple or "just took an extra second or two to turn the edges of appliqué under". Right. Because we all know that turned edge appliqué only takes a couple seconds! No, no, no! Non-quilters' are not allowed to do anything but stand in utter awe of my quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I don't think that anybody would care how much you paid for the fabric.
    Actually, if bear is showing quilts to non-quilters, I think that's important. It helps educate the public about what goes into our craft so they don't keep believing that $35 for a twin and $50 for a queen quilt all pieced and quilted by hand by an award winning quilter, as you sometimes see on Etsy, is Fair Market Value. That barely covers the thread & needles.

I had a friend recently who admired how beautiful my niece's quilt top is & said she would like to buy one from me for her son & said "whatever it cost" for materials and my time would "be well worth it". I thanked her for the sweet compliment & then explained that my hand appliquéd quilts are for the high-end market and usually go for $600-800, but that if she wanted, because she is like a sister to me, I could make a quilt for her son at cost but it would still be $100-125. She quickly agreed knowing the quality of my workmanship, but was amazed at the cost of fabric, batting & thread. I can't afford to lose money on the supplies so I truly will itemize everything and ask her to pay me up front (and get her to sign off on the design and midway progress with clauses that each signature reduces the amount of a refund she'll get for the materials. Good fences (or contracts) make for good neighbors. And helping non-quilters spread the message that quality homemade quilts are not priced as disposable goods. The materials are costly and the work involved is extensive. I'm always grateful when my fellow quilters communicate that to the general public.

Thanks for helping ensure that quilters & our art is appropriately valued, bearisgray!

Blog Entries
    If someone wants to look at mine...20 seconds- at 20 feet- no bifocals?
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Blog Entries
    I happily show my quilts and only answer what I'm asked!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I show my quilts to anyone who expresses interest in seeing them. I don't tell them anything about the process unless they ask.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

Blog Entries
    I also happily show my quilts to anyone who wants to see them, no explanations or excuses for anything on them. If they ask if one is for sale, or would I make them one, my reply is usually, " yes, for $800". I have one I especially love that took a lot of time and some unsewing that I told them was for sale for $2000. That usually ends any comments or questions.

When I show my quilts before giving it to the recipent as all my quilts are gifts to someone. I might say how I came to doing this particular pattern and why these fabrics as I try to match the quilt to the personality of the person receiving it. Such as my Bricks & Stones is for an elderly gent who still farms so searched for veggies and fruit fabrics, sashed it with browns and blacks, no florals as its for a gent and the quilting patterns couldn't have any flowers in it either. So I make mind to fit the person I'm giving it to. If I make mistakes I might point it out but most everyone I know around here aren't quilters so it wouldn't matter if I made huge mistakes or not as they wouldn't know the difference. I was wait patiently for the reaction from the person when I give it to him/her. That makes it worth all the stress I went into making it.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I love showing my quilts and tell them the pattern (if I know it) but never tell them the cost of the fabric or where I bought it because I wouldn't most likely know. If they ask how long it took to make it, then I will guess at that too. I don't quilt for anyone but myself, I would have a hard time selling anything.

Good for you!!!!
    Blessed are the piece makers for their children shall inherit the quilts.

I show my quilts to my Husband, Son, Daughter and Granddaughter. I just hold them up and they look at them. Not a big deal.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

The best show and tell I had was when the grandkids were small. As their friends came by they would take quilts out of the cedar chest and walk the kids around the house to see that Grandma made all these herself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
    I also happily show my quilts to anyone who wants to see them, no explanations or excuses for anything on them. If they ask if one is for sale, or would I make them one, my reply is usually, " yes, for $800". I have one I especially love that took a lot of time and some unsewing that I told them was for sale for $2000. That usually ends any comments or questions.
    I don't do "commercial" work, however when asked how much it would cost to "make a quilt IF they furnish the fabric" I still quote anywhere from $400 to $1000. I love what Sam Hunter said.. ""NEVER undervalue My Work".. I sure don't. LOL
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    My rules include a first rule FOR ME...... DO NOT give a hoot what someone else thinks of MY quilts, they were made for me. Keep MY negative reactions to THEIR reactions to myself, and absolutely "file 13" them as soon as the viewer leaves! (This is particularly relevant for me when sharing my quilt/s with other quilters/guild members.)

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Good for you, onebyone!
    I just tell it outright at show and tell real quick about name of pattern or where I learnt how (usually MQ tute) I made it or give credit but don't like to spread it out to a storytelling thing. I will state if it's for Linus/Vet
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Francine yuhas.....u are funny!!
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    My rules include a first rule FOR ME...... DO NOT give a hoot what someone else thinks of MY quilts, they were made for me. Keep MY negative reactions to THEIR reactions to myself, and absolutely "file 13" them as soon as the viewer leaves! (This is particularly relevant for me when sharing my quilt/s with other quilters/guild members.)

Jan in VA
    like Jan's rule! I agree--I know the problems I had with the quilt so no one needs to point them out!

I like when at Guild, members explain the thought process they used picking the pattern and fabric (but no need to include cost--we all know that!) and how they quilted (or who did the quilting). That gives the rest of us inspiration.

Hi,cost of materials escape the notice of a lot of people. One family member asked for a rather complicated design, I said yes but you would have to pay for fabric,we worked out the cost and the reply was "I could get one at a cheap shop for a fraction of that".They were more than a little offended when I told them to do just that.

I can't imagine why anyone would say anything negative about any quilt being showed to them by someone. That someone apparently is very proud of her work and is showing it because it makes her happy. No matter how the quilt looks, it is the best she can do and she is proud of it.

On another note, I show my quilts here on the board. The only other time anyone sees my quilts is when they come to my home and look around. I find that there are two questions most of the time. How long did it take you and How much is it? lol...I already know, when I hear, how much is it, what my answer could be but I say. I have no idea. The other question on how long it took me? I point to my Cinco de Mayo and I say, that one took 400 hours and the best price on that one is 12,000. After that I don't get questioned on prices or time anymore.

I don't try to sell my quilts. I could care less. They are in my collection. People who value my work just tell me to wrap it up and give them a bill, they know the worth. So I don't get hairy about anything, I just glide along lol.

Power Poster
    Would anyone expect a cabinet maker - or a plumber- or an electrician - to throw in the parts "for free"?

Blog Entries
    i tell the cost of the fabric to people who want me to make a quilt for them because i love them. i do love them, but that does not mean i have $200+ to make a quilt top for their kingsize bed. my ddil has some strange ideas about sewing and what goes into making a quilt. i know she appreciates what i make for her family, but she just doesn't get that quilts are not free, and not everyone can make a good (or better) quilt.
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    love all these comments. i'm always speechless when some one tells me they saw the same one at Walmart. Oh really???? I've made over 350 quilts and will continue to make them but if you don't like it don't look. most people saw Ahhhhh, it's so pretty. that's good enough for me. WHen I see my son get choked up over his quilt I made him for his birthday, 25th, that was thank you enough for me. I did explain what all the symbolicmeanings were,he loved it.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast