Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My sewing room is distracting. >

My sewing room is distracting.

My sewing room is distracting.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:07 PM

My sewing room/office is very small and with everything in it, I get distracted easily! Of course, getting distracted isn't hard for me anyway. I find myself pulling out my fabric and sewing machines and playing with them in my living room/great room (don't have formal living area). I usually keep it pretty clutter free and find I can concentrate better. Also, my kitchen counter/bar is just the right width/height for cutting. Right now I use my breakfast area for my embroidery machine. I live alone so I can do what I want...so there!! LOL

Anyway, do any of you find yourself migrating OUT of your sewing room?
Old 08-23-2011, 04:12 PM

I have set my stuff up in the basement and now find that I don't want to go down there! I tried to have the TV on today and I made it for about three hours down there. I keep hearing noises upstairs and I know no one is home. With the dehumidifier going and the A/C running nonstop, I am finding it too noisy. So I might wind up sewing in the dining room again.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Google Goddess

just sew where ever you want to, have fun
Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 PM

Well, yes, because my stash (rhymes with trash) has taken over. Machine #1 is in the bedroom with the ironing board. Machine #2 is in the living room but at least it has a darling little cabinet. The table for rotary cutting is in what used to be called the 'back bedroom.' The largest place to lay out anything is the double bed but only if I lock the door to keep the dogs out. My mother's Kenmore is in the dining room masquerading as a table.

With any luck, by this fall, I'm going to have that old 'back bedroom' cleared and every bit of this diaspora will migrate there, a design wall will bloom and the rest of the house will rejoice. Right now I'm sorting and packing totes to get ready. The strains of the Hallelujah Chorus will be heard from this mountaintop. Phew.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 PM

I migrate out only for breaks. On rare occasions if I have a lot of hand work to do (seam ripping usually <g>) I'll take it into the office so I can sit and chat with my husband. But generally I do all my sewing/quilting in the sewing room and only come out for breaks (I don't eat, drink, or smoke in the sewing room).
Old 08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Power Poster

My sewing room upstairs keeps acquiring fabric, etc. from storage downstairs. It's getting rather full, and it's time to pack some of it back downstairs.
Also have my quilting machine in a bedroom downstairs. :)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

If I lived alone I would have a "quilt house" a long arm in the living room, etc. I am so happy to have a very small bedroom for my stuff and I can close the door so I don't have to pick up and clean up in the middle of a project. Love my unorganized messy quilting room. My computer is right in the middle.....easy access to the Quilting Board:)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Only when I am doing the hand sewing of the bindings. Or sometimes the picking and pre-reading of the patterns.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I live alone so I can do what I want...so there!! LOL

Anyway, do any of you find yourself migrating OUT of your sewing room?
Same here but i try to keep it mostly in the sewing room. If that becomes too cluttered, there is that perfect height breakfast bar for cutting and the dining room table beckons for pin basting. :)
Old 08-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I promised myself that I would not spread out to other areas of the house except for displaying finished work. I've kept that promise too.
peace