Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My town is so small....

Small and smaller. No traffic light, just a 35mph sign for about a mile, one teensy post office, don't imagine it will be here much longer either, one Fire Dept., several churches along the road and that is it.
    OOPS, jittery finger, I guess.

I live in the county seat so we have a courthouse, 1 caution light, we do have a high school and a couple of hamburger joints. The population is about 2000.

Blog Entries
    I live outside of town,going in one stop sign with a three way stop.One market,bowling alley.1 quilt/yarn store.School K-12 post office,two banks.Look out summer the visitors are all over the place.Connie in CO

I wish we lived in a town like that! I grew up in a very small town, and untill 5 yrs ago managed to live in fairly small towns. We had to move due to my husbands job and now live a few miles west of Portland Oregon. I have turned into a hermit! I no longer know my neighbors, driving here is insane sometimes it takes you 40 mins to just run across town! There are to many people and to many shops, and after 5 yrs I still get lost all the time, for goodness sakes the roads names change 4 or 5 times while you are driving down them! You don't know the owner of the grocery or the pharmacy, or even the people you sit sit near at church.I miss my small town life so very much, count your blessings! All I can do is pray I can convince my hubby to move when we retire!

our town was like that when I was little three policemen volunteer firemen one school it was nicer then now its a straight line of traffic all day and a stop light every 50 feet

I grew up somewhere similar - very lonely for a child.

Here the schools are overcrowded, nearest grocery .25 miles, Walmart 1.5 miles, lights...every corner it seems. I could use a balance, but all my kids live here. I do have 4 QS within a 8 mile radius tho! :thumbup:

OMGosh! Dont say that too loud, I see youre in VT - if you let people know youre an unspoiled little pristine country town in VT you'll be an artsyschfartsy city colony! (I say that w/ a smile, yuall! My inlaws owned a farm north of Burlington, and I was married in Essex Juct, and my 1st hubs is buried there! You wouldnt believe the chgs up there now. Every little wonderful country town has all but been runover w/ "progress" share t

Here The school has split and half stays here and the half goes to the next town. We have a very small town...no lights, no cops(they have to come from 45 minutes away). We do have a grocery store, but it is very small and over priced so I save for big grocery trips. It's nice living in a small town. I grew up in a big city and this is SO different from where I grew up, but it is safer. We don't have the gangs and not so many robberies(if there is everyone knows who did it...lol). It's not for everyone, but I like it.

Blog Entries
    Sounds just like the village where my daughter lives in Maine.

Blog Entries
    yep! we have a police station, very small, no gas stations but we do have a hop and sack.we share our schools with a small town,Gotebo, that is 7 miles away. we do have a farmers co-op, a post office and a car repair shop. have a drug store and 2 beer joints.We do have 5 churches here in a town of approximately 800 people

We don't have a constable, but we do have one flashing red light at the main four corners, and I wouldn't trade it for all the big town stuff.

WISH I LIVED IN A SMALL TOWN. HATE THE BIG CITY.

I live in a small town. No stop light for for whole county. The school is of three schools combined together. Everybody knows everybody and their business as well. People help each other out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    We have a church and a post office (PO will close this year) Nearest mall is 60 miles. Dr. is 60 miles. Closest gas is 14 miles. School is 15 miles. Groceries is 25 miles. WalMart is 40 miles. Never hear a plane, train, emergency vehicles. Only "noise" is the river barges. Life is good in my little corner of the world.:)
    Sounds like a little piece of heaven!

Small town Gal here too - we have one general purpose shop (sells fuel some general grocery items and takeaway food stuff), no other shops at all, fire station with attached hall is only other building in town. 220 people live in our town.

Maybe1day

Blog Entries
    Have family in Moscow, Kansas, they are very small towns

I grew up small town, and loved most of the people there---so many friendly faces. Now I am used to city life, and if I get too far from a Starbucks, I panic!!

forgot to mention we have probably the only town in VT without a bed'n'breakfast, antique store, or other tourist attractions. And I love it that way!

Our little town is on the left as you go under the traffic light. the other side is rr tracks.

no stop light, no gas station, no school, no store, We do have a bait shop and a Post Office. Very small town.

I got married and moved a half mile down the road, and my dad grew up on the farm about 5 miles away, so I love this small town. But we do have a bank and we're down to one bar. The town is split down the middle by the line dividing 2 counties, but I have to tell you one thing.

About 5 years ago a family, knew the girl from high school, the guy won $100,00 from the lottery. Big news around here. Damn, if he didn't go in with 20 other peole and won again, his share was $20 million! He bought the ticket at the teeny tiny store next to his house.

I guess this town is so small we claim other peole's exciting events as our own.

I don't know why we have a bank, but it's been there since I was little, I'm 52.

I went to a department store once and a guy said "If you're not a (maiden name), you should be LOL We do kind of all look alike. I have 83 first cousins on my dad's side, and they started here and are well known here.

We're at the corner of the county, where it meets 2 others,so if the sheriiff comes this way patrolling, we're lucky. Which reminds me. This town is so small, that when a mother wants to teach a daughter a lesson, she tells the sheriff's office if there's anyone at this end of the county, could he help? He came, the daughter learned her lesson and hopefully when she's a doctor(she's trying for med school) she'll remember there were a lot of people who cared about her.
    I'll stop now, the town's very small, but I like to write about it.

My little town has around 5 churches, a Casey's, a Dollar General Store (best thing that came to our town), post office, fire dept., city hall, a grocery store that is too high priced to go in. 3 eating places, 2 banks. elementary, middle and high school. Up until last year we didn't have a bar. Up until a couple of years ago we just had a red blinking light at the 4 way that goes through our town. Now it has the red, yellow and green. And it did take some getting use to. I love living in a small town. I live 8 miles from a college town with all the stores a body could imagine. Eight miles the other way and they have fast food places a few more grocery stores, still small town.

well my town may have about 300 people in it. we do rate a stop light.. probably because it's on a major road to vegas.

Central schools are quite common in Australia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda
    One gas/groc station 2 bars library and post office. That is the extent of our downtown.
    Hold on just a doggone minute!!! You mean your town has TWO bars, but NO quilt shop!!!????:shock: :shock: That is just downright silly!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast