Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Need examples of sewing mistakes >

Need examples of sewing mistakes

Need examples of sewing mistakes

Old 12-20-2015, 05:21 AM

Dottymo, yes you can fix it. Just wash it again with a colour catcher, might take a couple washes. This happened to me on a quilt I made my mother. I thought I checked it well for bleeding before I threw it into the dryer but when it came out I noticed the red had bled onto the white. Someone on this site told me to just wash it again with a colour catcher so I did as I thought what could it hurt? The red came out...............YEAH!!!!! Thought it was a goner since it went thru the drying cycle.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:37 AM

Thank you everyone. Great examples to add to my presentation.

Marilyn
Old 12-20-2015, 09:50 AM

Include some basics: Joining binding strips and sewing to quilt to finish w/out pucker, how to Stitch in the Ditch to finish binding. Just some ideas, sorry too much of a rookie here to offer correcting methods.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 PM

Many of my mistakes have been thankfully fixed with a very sharp seam ripper. A few years back I had to go to "wound care" daily because of an infection in an incision. Long story short the nurse used the most clever curves disposable scalpel. I brought several home (and shared with sewing friends too.) That is the greatest mistake fixer ever!
Old 12-21-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Dottymo, yes you can fix it. Just wash it again with a colour catcher, might take a couple washes. This happened to me on a quilt I made my mother. I thought I checked it well for bleeding before I threw it into the dryer but when it came out I noticed the red had bled onto the white. Someone on this site told me to just wash it again with a colour catcher so I did as I thought what could it hurt? The red came out...............YEAH!!!!! Thought it was a goner since it went thru the drying cycle.
Thanks Suz. I thought it was no use as I was too frightened to wash again as it would make it worse. I did use colour catcher first time. Christmas project.