Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: need help with enlarging my fairy god mother pattern

  1. #1
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Can someone instruct me how to enlarge my fairy godmother pattern? She is turning out quite small :(

    I use paint for sizing. I can't seem to save 'pic as' to edit it either. :(

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can you change the setting in your printer program to print at a larger percent? :D:D:D

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,088
    Blog Entries
    1
    Also, do you have the box checked in your printer program to print at actual size? :D:D:D

  4. #4
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    13,130
    Do you have a function to enlarge it by putting the original printout on your printer glass, then enlarging it by a certain percent? (depends on what kind of printer you have)
    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,482
    I would print out the original pattern then follow these directions: Use the following formula if the size you want is not on the table above:
    BLOCK SIZE WANTED (divided by) CURRENT BLOCK SIZE = PERCENT TO ENLARGE OR REDUCE
    Example:
    To enlarge: Size you want = 12" and Current size = 4"
    12/4=3 (answer times 100 = 300%)
    To reduce: Size you want = 7" and Current size = 12"
    7/12=.58 (answer times 100 = 58%)

    Hope this helps.

  6. #6
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Shoot, I have a lexmark printer and it won't let me enlarge anything :(

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Alturas, CA
    Posts
    8,482
    Do you have a place close to you where you can take it, get it enlarged the percentage you want? Then bring it home, do your copies, cut into the different sections, and you should be good to go.

  8. #8
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Do you have a place close to you where you can take it, get it enlarged the percentage you want? Then bring it home, do your copies, cut into the different sections, and you should be good to go.
    That's what I probably will have to do because I found out how to resize it, but it doesn't resize to 125%, instead it goes to 150% :(

  9. #9
    Super Member rusty quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ft. Gratiot, MI
    Posts
    1,968
    Blog Entries
    1
    Your local library probably has the printer you need, or the copy machine that will then enlarge your print.

  10. #10
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,189
    Usually you can just type in the # you want...yes it automatically has some 100% or 150%.... but you should be able to put the exact % in.
    Do you mean that your pattern didn't print out to size or do you mean that you want it larger than the original pattern?

  11. #11
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Usually you can just type in the # you want...yes it automatically has some 100% or 150%.... but you should be able to put the exact % in.
    Do you mean that your pattern didn't print out to size or do you mean that you want it larger than the original pattern?
    I want it a little larger, those tiny, tiny pieces are hard for me :roll:

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,344
    The local library should have a copier that you could use or your local office supply store.

  13. #13
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,321
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just make sure that you photocopy all of it at the same percentage. I only say this because I photocopied a pattern years ago and didn't realize that after each photocopy, the copier would revert to the previous size. Drove me NUTS trying to figure out why things would not match up....

  14. #14
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Peckish
    Just make sure that you photocopy all of it at the same percentage. I only say this because I photocopied a pattern years ago and didn't realize that after each photocopy, the copier would revert to the previous size. Drove me NUTS trying to figure out why things would not match up....
    Thanks for the tip, I didn't think of that.

  15. #15
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,189
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Usually you can just type in the # you want...yes it automatically has some 100% or 150%.... but you should be able to put the exact % in.
    Do you mean that your pattern didn't print out to size or do you mean that you want it larger than the original pattern?
    I want it a little larger, those tiny, tiny pieces are hard for me :roll:
    When I first saw the teensy pieces I almost changed my mind about making it. But after you add the lines in the first step, and then cut the main sections apart, I taped them all to my table and just cut off each little section I needed to work on next. As I finished each main strip I did join the sections together rather than wait until the end. The eyes and nostrils are such minute pieces but in the end they did match pretty well. (of course the back was pretty ugly-I'm not the neatest paper piecer.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.