Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help looking for certain fabric for project

Need help looking for certain fabric for project

I'm a caregiver of a women that needs more Adult Bibs that can be washed often and I don't know what kind of fabric to buy to make the top. I was trying to do it cheaply and have it were it would last for a while. Is there a good fabric I can get to make these?

I think terry cloth would be the best. It washes nicely and it's absorbent. You could check second hand shops for old towels to make them.

I just made some for my mom. I bought a bath towel and made 3 from it. Just need to get one without the decorative band at the short ends. I used bias tape to bind a single layer. Or you could double up in the towel and stitch all the way around and turn inside out. This one a sewed ribbon to to tie it. The bound single layer I used Velcro

Blog Entries
    I would just get some terrycloth hand towels (or bath towels depending on the size required), cut a semicircle using a dinner plate for a template on one end for the neckline, then just bind the cut area, leaving long tails in the binding that can be used as a tie.
    Last edited by PaperPrincess; 05-20-2015 at 04:36 AM.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Check out resale stores to see if there are any towels for sale. Ross stores have a large selection of discounted towels.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My bee is just starting to make some for our local Senior center. We are going to make them out of towels also. Using Velcro to close the towel around the neck. No ties.

Agree with terrycloth being absorbent and holds up to frequent washing. I would use hand towels/dish towels, cut curve in one end for neck, add binding and leave tails long enough to tie. Only other thing I can think of is maybe waterproof backing on them.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

The dollar store near my house sells terry dish towels....perhaps thats a place to look for something inexpensive for this project.
    Laura

Paying it forward, one Smile at a time!
    http://twistedvegas.com

Blog Entries
    or Target has bath towels cheap and in nice colors, you could get a few out of that.
    Maybe use the baby PUL fabric for the back waterproof side.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Power Poster
    our bee used terry cloth !!
    QUILTNMO

When I make my bibs, I use terry cloth on the bottom (because it is so absorbent). I like flannel on top (I like them to look nice and fun), but I use ripstop in the middle (the ripstop help your fabric absorb without allowing it to absorb all the way through to the clothing). The ripstop helps keep the bulk down, so it's not as much like a little kids bib, and they can be washed and washed. I'm sure others will have will have other helpful hints, good luck

My sewing group made bibs out of terry cloth hand towels. We got them on sale at Sears. The care home asked us not to use velcro because if it isn't fastened it snags everything in the laundry. They said they don't have time to forget to fasten the velcro when they take the bibs off. They asked if we could put ties but instead of making them so they tie they asked if we could sew some snaps on them and space them apart to make them adjustable. They said if a patient pulls at it it will unsnap and if it's tied the patients may try to pull it off over their head, get frustrated or freak out because they can't get it off. The facility is home to many dementia patients and they smile and appear to look happy when we deliver the colorful bibs and spend time visiting with them.

I use a Terry hand towel and add a yoke to the top or you can cut off the top of a shirt to add.

Blog Entries
    I just suggested this to a friend, use terry kitchen towels and get a few clips for bags, like you use for potato chip bags, and just clip the towel to the shoulder area of their clothes.

When I made them for Fred (step father) and mom I used hand towels, cut a circle on one end and used binding and left a tail. Easy, quick to make and wash great. If needed your can make a pocket at bottom with a little material, and if backing is needed a shower curtain liner can be attached easily.
    Velcro can be used but to much stuff can stick to it then you have to pull it off to use it.

Lots of good ideas here, but the velcro near the neck isn't that great as it can pull their hair if not put on correctly. I think ties or buttons with tabs are better for the wearer.