Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

Question Need new washing machine, reviews on those big enough for queen size quilts

The knobs on my Kenmore HE2plus are breaking off. First it was the start button, today i knocked off the wash cycle setting knob. Start button was a push to start so we could still use the washer. The selector knob has a plastic stem that broke. Can now only use the washer at what it was set to last night: the regular wash cycle. DH often chooses to do an extra rinse because he has never been happy with this washer: not enough water. leaves soap in after rinse if he used as much as he needed to get things clean.
    He likes top loaders, i like the size of the front loaders. It is getting harder to bend down to pull things in and out. My thoughts on the large capacity top loaders without agitators is that they can't possibly get mechanics/ farmers clothes clean.
    Help. I know i'll be replacing the washer by this weekend. Our appliance guy says that sears isn't making the control boards anymore, probably figured out it was a bad design since apparently this is where that model fails.

Power Poster
    Sorry I’m no help because I am a top loader fan. For really dirty clothes I can load my washer and let them soak in the water as long as needed before finishing the cycle.

So do you have a top loader that works well with both the dirty clothes and quilts, sleeping bags etc.

I have a HE top loader. Mine is about 3 years old, so things may have changed,but I won't buy an HE washer again regardless. It has too many drawbacks that they don't mention.

I have two questions regarding them: If they are so great, why do you have to use/buy special cleaning agents to keep the machine from stinking? If you have to clean your washer, how clean is it getting your clothes?

I'm sorry, I can't answer the question regarding washing a queen sized quilt.

bkay

The front loaders get mold and nasty. I have them at work so I have stuck with top loaders at home
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

The best washing made right now is a Speed Queen according to repairmen. Try and not get a digital one, almost impossible now. I had DH disconnect the lid lock on my top loader. That is the dumbest thing ever put on one.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    The best washing made right now is a Speed Queen according to repairmen. Try and not get a digital one, almost impossible now. I had DH disconnect the lid lock on my top loader. That is the dumbest thing ever put on one.
    I agree that the lid lock is a dumb idea. I will also only buy top-loading machines. I bought a GE large capacity set in 2005 and took it with me when I moved in 2015. Unfortunately the house I wound up buying was plumbed for gas, and my set was electric. I used a front loader (left by the previous owners of this house) for a while. The lack of control over what happened during the wash cycle was frustrating. Finally I bought the supposedly improved GE large capacity set and sold the other two sets on craigslist. The new washer does the job, but I don't like the controls on it as well as the older model. I have washed queen and king quilts in it with no problems.

Oh for an old fashioned regular agitator washer. My mom's washer held up for over 30 years no problem except once the granulated soap built up in the line and had to be cleaned out. DH and I were discussing washers just last week. We are going to try to go to local small dealers and see if they have old stock in stock. I would go for as old school as I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by bkay View Post
    I have a HE top loader. Mine is about 3 years old, so things may have changed,but I won't buy an HE washer again regardless. It has too many drawbacks that they don't mention.

I have two questions regarding them: If they are so great, why do you have to use/buy special cleaning agents to keep the machine from stinking? If you have to clean your washer, how clean is it getting your clothes?

I'm sorry, I can't answer the question regarding washing a queen sized quilt.

bkay
    Unfortunately that is all you can get' The HE machines.to help keep the machine from stinking be sure and leave the lid open when not in use.

Replaced my front loader last year with a top loader that doesn't have the agitator. Love my LG and the drum is really large. Haven't washed a queen size quilt in it, but I don't think it would have any problem.

mim
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Sorry I’m no help because I am a top loader fan. For really dirty clothes I can load my washer and let them soak in the water as long as needed before finishing the cycle.
    whatever you get Don't get one of those water saver ones. I'm sorry that when our top loader went we got a water saver. Try to wash a load when the water barely shows in the load. and the rinse is the same. I know that the ladies in India may wash by beating their clothes to death, but I don't like the twisting and turning of wet clothes.
    Mim
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2018 at 06:09 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I hate my front loader. It gets musty smelling, mold on the rubber seal and I can't soak things in it. What a mistake for me! I thought I would love it but I can't wait till it dies so I can go back to a top load.

My washer is old enough (Maytag) to still have an agitator. I would not have a front loader. My Daughter has an LG larger capacity and she loves it. It is a top loader.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

My friend hand dyes fabrics and a good washer is a must. She won't touch a digital one. She has an old commercial top loader agitator. It spins so fast the fabric is dry enough to press when it comes out. Jeans and Carhartts come out damp dry. She had four boys on a farm and washing a load of jeans was an everyday thing. All washers should be this way. Less drying time. So maybe that's why they aren't made that way anymore.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    I hate my front loader. It gets musty smelling, mold on the rubber seal and I can't soak things in it. What a mistake for me! I thought I would love it but I can't wait till it dies so I can go back to a top load.
    I am so with you on this one. Hate my front loader. Someone, I thought it was here, was talking about a brand that has started making a top-loading washer with the option of filling the tub, perfect for quilters. Don't remember if a lock was mentioned.

Same thing goes for dishwashers. We recently purchased a new fridge, and while we were standing around doing paperwork, we got into a conversation with the guy who repairs the appliances. Our dishwasher is at least 20 years old, and he said "wait as long as you can to replace it". The longest cycle on my dishwasher is 96 minutes. He said the new dishwashers have cycles that range from 2.5 hours to 4.5 hours. Seriously?!?!?! I asked him how that could possibly be more energy efficient. He replied that they're not drawing power constantly; they pulse on and off instead.

I'd much rather have something like an industrial dishwasher that does a whole cycle in 4 or 6 minutes than these stupid domestic models that take 2-4 hours! I could have my entire kitchen clean, with everything put away, in less than 30 minutes.

We are on our second front loader. Big mistake. The first one came with the house and my daughter overstuffed it all the time till the bearings broke. But we still believed the hype about how well they clean (and it did seem to clean the clothes). However, as others have noted, there's always mold around the lip so we have to keep the door open when not in use. And if there's one thing that bugs me, it's doors left open (even though this is in the basement, out of sight, until I do laundry again).

The water saver feature is not worth it. I like to see and control how much water I use in a load, based on common sense, not on a computer program.

My small independent appliance dealer also said the best machine on the market is the top loading Speed Queen.

Another thing she noted was that people use too much detergent, which turn into too many suds, which the rinse cycle on HE machines does not use enough water for . She said 1/8 of a cup is all you should use on a normal load, 1/4 cup for large. Do not fill to the line on the cap of your detergent--the detergent manufacturers , of course, want you to use more. But the machines won't rinse it out well enough and will leave a smelly residue.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    I am so with you on this one. Hate my front loader. Someone, I thought it was here, was talking about a brand that has started making a top-loading washer with the option of filling the tub, perfect for quilters. Don't remember if a lock was mentioned.

Same thing goes for dishwashers. We recently purchased a new fridge, and while we were standing around doing paperwork, we got into a conversation with the guy who repairs the appliances. Our dishwasher is at least 20 years old, and he said "wait as long as you can to replace it". The longest cycle on my dishwasher is 96 minutes. He said the new dishwashers have cycles that range from 2.5 hours to 4.5 hours. Seriously?!?!?! I asked him how that could possibly be more energy efficient. He replied that they're not drawing power constantly; they pulse on and off instead.

I'd much rather have something like an industrial dishwasher that does a whole cycle in 4 or 6 minutes than these stupid domestic models that take 2-4 hours! I could have my entire kitchen clean, with everything put away, in less than 30 minutes.
    When we had to have the lower cabs replaced after Harvey, I opted not to replace the dishwasher we never used, instead had another cab put in it's place and filled it with dividers for all my baking pans, and utensils in the drawer above, so much more functional than a machine that takes forever and uses electricity as well as water. With just hub and me, dishes take no time at all. 2 - 4 hours in the new ones? Oh my goodness!

Ruitzelj - do yourself a big favor and find a non-digital, large capacity top loader, we had to replace the washer left by the former owners 3+ years ago and went with just the basic Whirlpool agitator top loader, hope I don't jinx it but it's been a fine machine. It's not a large capacity so haven't washed any large quilts in it but I also understand Speed Queen is a very well-built machine, look into those first. Their dryers don't get as good reviews for some reason but the washers are top notch.

I agree that Speed Queen is the best, and my cousin got one and loves it. Plumber had to fix the drain in her old house to accommodate the force that it drains. About three years ago I got a top loader GE washer. I think it is HE, but, I can push a button to get it to fill to the top. It only locks while it is measuring the load, and then I can open it to put something in. I think it locks when it is spinning, but, never tried to open it, no need. Also, it has a speed wash which is fine 99 per cent of the time for our needs. Got the matching gas dryer and like that too.
    Alyce

Banned
    My mom bought a basic Speed Queen set in the mid 80s. She sold them to a friend when she sold her house about 10 years ago and they are still working.

Cari

Blog Entries
    I had a high efficiency washing machine for 2 weeks about 10 years ago and hated it. They took it back and I bought a top loader with agitator, large capacity, non high efficiency. HE had too little water and spun so hard to get the water out that it left wrinkles. Hated it. I also like to soak things and you need lots of water that will stay in the tub to do that!! I can do matellase and large comforters in it. King I would probably take to the laundromat.

Back to about the soaking. FYI. Many years ago we were ready to sit down to eat a holiday meal when someone spilled a glass of milk. It went underneath the table pads. We had to undo the table and put things under the pads. Anyways, since that time, I always put a sheet of heavy plastic under the tablecloth on top of the table pads. After everyone leaves, I take Dawn dish detergent (mixed with a small amount of water) and use an old toothbrush and scrub any stains. Then I put it in the washing machine filled with cold water, agitate about 15- 30 seconds and then let it soak overnight. Works great. No stains and don’t have to use bleach.

Two years ago I bought a Speed Queen top loading washer with an agitator. It works beautifully and we just washed a queen size comforter in it today. No problems. I had to do a lot of searching for a private dealer. the big box stores just don't carry them. Hope you can find one.

Just don't get a washing machine without an agitator. I had one and left it with the house I sold last year. I hated it. It would spin the clothes so much I couldn't get the wrinkles out.

I have a Kenmore Elite HE washer and I'm pretty happy with it. I did have to get used to using a lot less detergent and I'm not a fan of how long the cycles take to finish, but it does get my clothes clean. With mine, the secret is to load it as it tells you to in the manual. If I do that everything is fine.

I'm old enough to remember the last time they pushed front loaders and how unhappy a lot of women were with them. There was a reason that not many of them were sold for many years.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

I just recently got a Maytag Washer and Dryer. The only machine in this town that had a button to choose the water level. That was most important to me. Washed a queen size comforter without a problem.

mkc
    I see a number of recommendations for Speed Queen. Be aware that SQ's washers for 2018 are completely different than previous models and are NOT receiving anywhere near the same high marks as previous models. There are actually threads on Houzz's Laundry forum where folks are desperately seeking the 2017 models or are reporting finding them for others who are searching.
    Last edited by mkc; 11-27-2018 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast