Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need or Want: Food Processor

I use my FP several times a week. I also cook a big meal almost every night from scratch. I bought a large Hamilton Beach FP at Walmart about 10 years ago. Still going stong.
    Sharyl

Have a Cuisinart, but rarely use it. I hate cleaning it, so I unless I have a huge amount to chop I don't use it. Since I rarely use it I usually don't do a very good job. For example soup like shredded carrots etc.

I only use mine about twice a year for making deviled eggs. Other than that it never gets used. I do have a small Black & Decker one I use occasionally for small stuff. If you only have two people in your house, I don't think it's worth the money.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I use mine for a number of things like making my own breadcrumbs from the crusts of my whole wheat bread, grinding cheese, chopping nuts, etc. I don't use it a lot but I do like to have it.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

I had one but gave it away for lack of use. Much easier to do whatever I used it for by hand or with a regular mixer. Too much bother to wash, also took up too much too on my counter.

My old small processor/chopper died so I went out to check what was out there. Found one small enough to do what I use it for by Cuisinart in metallic red that fits my kitchen decor. I think its only a 3 or 3.5 cup but it does what I want it to and its easy to clean up. I keep mine under the cabinet so its not out in the open. I use mine mainly for chopping onions, green peppers and nuts. I'm still using my old Hamilton Beach Model G mixer and until it dies I won't be going out to buy one of those fancy do-it-all guys. I'm still using my 1969 all metal & glass blender. Some small appliances just last forever it seems if made properly. My sister just got a KitchenAid Processor for whatever reason as she doesn't cook much. Thought it a waste but its her kitchen. She also has the big fancy KitchenAid mixer which she uses once in a blue moon. Seems foolish to me but again its not my kitchen.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have the cuisinart blender. Used it just last night to ch apples for bread. I also use it to mix pie crusts, really fast and handy. I use mine quite a bit mixing and chopping and grating and shredding cabbage. Just think of the things you do by hand. They can all be done in the processor. I had a kitchenaid and it was a waste of money. Glad I got the cuisinart at Costco

Blog Entries
    I am glad you asked this question. I have one and only use it once in a while to slice potatoes. i would have told you its a waste of money. After reading this thread I say go ahead and get one. I picked up many ideas her--Thanks Ladies.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I have given away the first one I bought, the two I was gifted with, and the one I won in a drawing, (all different brands) I just didn't use them much, and hated cleaning them.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

I don't have one so no experience to tell the difference, I love my Vitamix, it sits on my counter (it is the 48oz, short size) and I use it daily for protein shakes, also use it to make p-nut butter, flaxmeal, chiameal etc etc etc. It can be pricey but it has been worth every penny. I spent $ on other products that I ended up not being happy with, had I purchased the Vitamix first instead of trying to save $ I wouldn't have been more $ behind. It will do cheese, make hamburg out of steak, etc etc. You can watch a video of it on QVC which is where I bought mine, to see all that it can do.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

I got the cuisinart for christmas two years ago and love it! Between that and my Kitchen Aid stand mixer my life is so much easier. My FP has awesome power. My only complaint (which isn't really) is that I have to hand wash it to get the goo out of the corners and replacement parts aren't cheap.
    -Ashley
    "The biggest blessing is aggressive pressing"
    Mom to Max (Am. Cocker Spaniel) and Charlie (Orange Tabby)

Blog Entries
    I went 20 yrs without one. I had attachments for my kitchenaid but didn't really like using them. I also have a tupperware chopper that works fine. But I wanted one so last Thanksgiving I bought one for myself and I've used it a surprising number of times since then. Mine is a 7 cup cuisinart. I put it all in the dishwasher so it's super easy to clean. I also have a 3.5 cup kitchenaid food chopper that was a gift. I use it sometimes too but not as much as the bigger one so far.

I've had a Cuisinart for over 30 years and it is still going. Great for grating cheese, making doughs, chopping nuts, making almond butter, etc. The base got cracked in a move from Hawaii but still works fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    For those of you have the Ninja, is it a food processor or a blender? I think the only Ninja's I have seen are blenders.
    Ninja actually makes a lot of different things. I have a 3 in 1 cooker that is a Ninja.

I cook a lot for my family of four. I had a food processor at one point, but didn't have room on the countertop for it, and as a result, I never dragged it out of the cabinet to use it because it wasn't worth the effort for the cleanup. I got rid of it. I did get a mandolin which I use a lot. But it fits in a drawer and easily accessible.

I have a small one (about 2 cups) that I use for chopping onions and garlic, chopping nuts, and creaming butter/sugar for baking or crumb toppings. I got it secondhand and really like it.

I have an inexpensive black & decker. I must have it about 10 years. I use it every day. I am disabled and this has given me the freedom to continue cooking. From chopping vegtables, to mixing, grating cheese,slicing squash , onions. I cannot live with out my food processor and toaster oven

Blog Entries
    I have one that I use occasionally, but I keep it out of the way most of the time. I love it for making salsas in the summer with garden produce--hot peppers burn my hands when I cut them, even with gloves, and I'm paranoid about getting the juice in my eyes. I also use it to chop frozen cranberries for cranberry bread at Christmas. My husband uses it for coleslaw, for several different sauces, and for powdering his super hot dried peppers for rubs.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

I have two different sizes and they are used all the time. I make my own dog food so the cutting blade takes a lot of work out of chopping chicken. So, like kso, I use mine almost daily I highly recommend one in your kitchen

Blog Entries
    Did someone say it works for incorporating butter into dry mixes? This is something I hate doing with my pastry blender.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    Did someone say it works for incorporating butter into dry mixes? This is something I hate doing with my pastry blender.
    Absolutely! Works great for that! I don't even bother to bring the butter to room temperature.

I love my FP. I chop, puree, slice, etc. I did not like the small one I had; it was too noisy. I had one for 30 years and the plastic case broke into many pieces. The motor was still in great condition, but I had to ditch it.

Quote Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN View Post
    I make my own dog food so the cutting blade takes a lot of work out of chopping chicken.
    Like IBQUILTIN, I use mine for pet food, twice a week. I have a Bosch Universal with pretty much all the attachments. I've acquired them over the years as I decided I wanted / needed them. I must have bought the FP attachment one day when I was doing some shopping therapy or something then forgot about it, because last year when we started making pet food, I "re-discovered" it in the cupboard and didn't have to go back to the bosch store.

Bosch is weird in that they seperated the functions of the FP and slicers, so I'm just going to lump all of the functions of both into the same comments. My old "Moulinex" FP was great but rattly and I don't miss it at all. It did all of the chopping, slicing and FP that both of my attachments do on the Bosch. It's still in the basement because I don't want to donate it until I find the manual for it.

I agree, a good second hand one would be better than a cheaper new one.

I used to use it to grate cheese, but we don't eat as much of it anymore. I think if I made a pizza though, I'd pull it out for that again. The blender attachment was great, because I didn't like having so many separate appliances around (and at 700W, the Bosch is more powerful than any of the other appliances in the kitchen anyway), but the FP and the slicer shredder attachments are probably the best (besides the mixer which I really only use for making whipped cream, butter or bread and pizza dough). You can use it to make all sorts of things - sauces, dips, you can slice, there's a disc that can do french fries, but I've never tried it. I have used it for stir fry veggies and for pizza toppings though.

Hmm. Now I want Pizza.

I've never been a big fan of the Cuisinart. Mine is pretty old but it is hard to clean and hard to put together and take apart. Like you, I have a NINJA and I love that thing. Ninja makes a variety of food processors and blenders at a variety of prices. I would check into what they have before investing in a Cuisinart. I mostly use mine for chopping stuff and the smaller Ninja food choppers are great ... much better than the small ones of other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by joysewer View Post
    The only thing I ever used mine for was to grate carrots for carrot cake and cabbage for cole slaw. It broke and I didn't replace it for years. Finally, I decided I needed another one instead of hand grating carrots. My friends recommended a Ninja instead of a food processor so I got one of those. I LOVE that thing!! It comes with a small bowl and 2 blender pitchers, each with their own blades. The motor fits on all of these and chops things with just pulses.
    Pat

After reading some of the post I noticed several of you hate washing your FP so I thought I would post my trick on cleaning mine..... I put a tad bit of dish detergent in it and put small ( a little less than ¼ of the way full) hot water. Turn it on the it really gives a good foam and gets it very clean. Then just rinse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast