Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Negative reaction to beef?

Until recently, I thought it was just me. Several years ago, I started having an adverse reaction to anything beef that I ate. Then I read an article that more and more people are having a variety of adverse reactions to beef....mostly women, and usually after age 40. Anyone else out there having a beef with beef?

Patti

I did and had to give it up for a while. At that time we were buying beef raised by 4H kids. We investigated and discovered the cattle were being given growth hormones. I felt "wierd" after eating it. The longer the beef stayed in my freezer, the more I detected an "odor" when I cooked it. I threw away a whole side of beef. I didn't eat beef for a long time after that. Now we buy from a farmer we know who raises them on clover and grain. Lots of difference!

Allergic Living magazine recently had an article on the increasing incidence of beef allergies. I check out the magazine from the library so I'm sorry I can't give you any info about which month it was published. We have lots of allergies in my family so I can empathize with you. Best wishes to you!

My MIL has had to become mostly a vegetarian now. She started having some noticeable reactions to both beef and pork. She can still eat chicken occasionally without the severe problems. And yes, she was in her late 50's when she started in with reactions. She can eat organic or grain fed like shequilts, with no problem, so it has to be the hormones they're adding now.

Blog Entries
    I can only eat hormone free beef. Luckily more and more stores are carrying it.

I can no longer eat beef. I have a major problem digesting it. Pork and chicken are ok, but I am really not much of a meat eater. Ususally about 2 bitefuls, and I want no more. It started when I was about 45 years old.

I always had a problem with the smell of beef cooking. I never could cook a steak or even a hamburger and eat it beause of the smell. The same thing in a steak house.

I can cook it for my family but have to clean up right away and get rid of the odor.

At our house, we have discovered the same issues with eggs from chickens that are given hormones and antibiotics. We don't buy them anymore.

So, if you are noticing the same things but haven't eaten meat, have you eaten anything with eggs or even milk?

It's probably not the actual meat that is causing the problem, but all the chemicals they injest or get injected into them that is the cause. Cows/pigs/chickens/etc are often feed antibiotics & hormones. I've read that they remain in the meat we end up eating.

I'll chime in here...if you're having a problem with "beef" or (insert commercially raised meat here) try some pasture raised, farm raised, free range, hormone-free, etc etc...it may make all the difference.

Beyond Americans being over weight, has anyone noticed the number of folks, me included, who have the proverbial spare tire around their middle? Maybe it's more noticeable because people don't cover it up as much anymore, I don't know. I've long suspected that the growth hormones, or something else commonly added to food, is more the cause of American obesity than poor dietary habits alone. There's something out there that's working against us. What do you think?

Blog Entries
    I'm sure it's what is being fed and given to the cattle. i stopped buying beef at King Soopers because it is all tough. but my hubby still had to have some so i got a bit from Omaha Steaks. expensive but good. although i think when we run out this time, no more. myhubby hardly eats anything these days and it's upsetting to throw away expensive steak!

Blog Entries
    i had to stop eating red meat in about '95...my health is sure alot better now that i do not eat red meat, or if i do in very limited quantities. i bet i eat less than a pound a year. we eat chicken fish and seafood, once in awhile some pork....much healthier :thumbup:

I haven't touched beef in years I just could not stand the thought of that bloody meat they keep serving whenever we went somewhere at a dinner event it turned me off completely

Quote Originally Posted by Feather3
    It's probably not the actual meat that is causing the problem, but all the chemicals they injest or get injected into them that is the cause. Cows/pigs/chickens/etc are often feed antibiotics & hormones. I've read that they remain in the meat we end up eating.
    Commercially raised meat is not often fed antibiotics they are ALWAYS fed antibiotics. The only way to get away from it is to buy direct from a farmer. Grass fed is best. Even meat labled organically raised is questionable in my mind. So many animal feeds have antibiotics added automatically. Grain is an unnatural food for beef but grain fattens them up. It also stresses their systems along with the confined space of feedlots so they are fed antibiotics regularly so they don't lose any weight in the last few days before slaughter. You will never have problems with the meat sustainably grass raised by a farmer. The cows are smaller and leaner and the meat is so much better for you. Very high in Omega 3.

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Beyond Americans being over weight, has anyone noticed the number of folks, me included, who have the proverbial spare tire around their middle? Maybe it's more noticeable because people don't cover it up as much anymore, I don't know. I've long suspected that the growth hormones, or something else commonly added to food, is more the cause of American obesity than poor dietary habits alone. There's something out there that's working against us. What do you think?
    I have thought that for a long time. I know my weight started to go up after I moved over here, despite keeping to a very similar diet and excercizing like crazy. The cattle back home don't get all the growth hormones that are allowed here.

Another friend switched to organic foods after being diagnosed with breast cancer. She now gets pretty nasty reactions whenever she is put in a situation where only "regular" food items are available.

I find I can't eat regular, store bought pork anymore. It has a really nasty after-taste and I have stopped buying it after watching the videos on how the pigs are raised.

I only eat beef from our local farmer, and that is rarely. After reading "Fast Food Nation" I will not buy supermarket meat any more. I don't really miss it.

now bacon, that's another story...

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather3
    Commercially raised meat is not often fed antibiotics they are ALWAYS fed antibiotics. The only way to get away from it is to buy direct from a farmer. Grass fed is best. Even meat labled organically raised is questionable in my mind. So many animal feeds have antibiotics added automatically. Grain is an unnatural food for beef but grain fattens them up. It also stresses their systems along with the confined space of feedlots so they are fed antibiotics regularly so they don't lose any weight in the last few days before slaughter. You will never have problems with the meat sustainably grass raised by a farmer. The cows are smaller and leaner and the meat is so much better for you. Very high in Omega 3.
    All of this, and I'd like to add it is difficult (if not impossible) to label meat as "organic" because they'd have to process every square inch of where they graze to figure out what's on the grass.

My DH works at the U here. As part of their AG program, they raise, and then sell both pork and lamb. The U staff gets first dibs, so we bought a side of pork, and a whole lamb. So much nicer meat than commercial!!!

The only thing I miss of beef, is a good stew now and again. I have found that buffalo is similar enough in flavour to beef to make a good stew, and it doesn't upset my stomach. Our local butcher shop gets an excellent supply. Plus, I can also make a good Irish stew with the lamb. :)

We mostly eat lots of chicken and fish, with a bit of pork or lamb thrown in for a change. Our portion sizes are also much smaller than a few years ago. ;) Lots more veggies now.

Patti

My house is infested with allergies. DH is allergic to shellfish and "something" else that he will not be tested to find out what it is. We carry an epi-pen everywhere we go,
    Oldest DS is allergic to anything poultry: chicken, turkey, duck but he can eat up to 3 free range eggs without any reaction.
    Youngest DS is allergic to food dyes, caramel coloring, Wheat, and can only drink milk from a local dairy that does not allow antibiotics/hormones in their herd. Otherwise he has asthma attacks.
    I get migraines in minutes from MSG, Neutra sweet, aspartame, sucralose. Polo cologne sends me to the bathroom to hug the bowl instantly with blinding pain to follow.
    I try to make sure to serve a variety of fresh or fresh frozen meats so that we only have red meat 2x a week.

Blog Entries
    QBeth, there are two things going on with the excess fat around the midsection. One is high fructose corn syrup - there is a direct correlation and the other is the phalates in the plastic, especially if they are microwaved. A teenager with a small waistline is a rarity these days. So many muffin tops. When I researched why, this was what turned up repeatedly.

You think you are phalate free because you use phalate free bottles? Look inside the next can of vegetables you open - guess what the white lining is? (By the way, this is the generic you - nothing personal).

Thanks for posting this. My son, 13, has spent the last 2 months in and out of the hospital. They think he has ulsurative colitus. They removed beef and pork from his diet. I'm not sure if it is beef or pork that is getting to him, he still is sick.
    Sounds like It would be a great idea to raise our own meat. I had not thought of the hormomes, and pestasides, and animals eating things that are not on their diets.
    I would be greatful if you would lift him up in prayer. Giving wisdom to the doctors, healing and that his faith not be shaken. God's mercy is new everyday.

Blog Entries
    Fortunately I will be raising my own. I have a friend who raises grass-fed cattle, so I will have a clean souce of beef. Sorry, I love beef, pork, lamb, goat, and chicken. Okay, I love meat, but I do not eat it every meal because I love vegetables even more.

I wonder if it is all the antibotics, ect in the food. Mom and I were talking about this too the other day. SO many hormones and antibotics the cows are fed.
    Luckily we get venison every year, no chemicals there, but I know some people hate the flavor.

Yes, I just recently made the connection it was making me sick. I thought it was just me.

we do a LOT of venison around here. I buy sausage from a local guy who butchers his own hogs. I raise a few chickens for the table but not nearly enough. Everyone in my family is a BIG meat eater. I was going to do a veggie only meal the other night and they all had fits. I'm the only one overweight too. They're all skinny! So far I haven't noticed any problems but maybe its because we don't do as much store bought meat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast