Negative reaction to beef?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Until recently, I thought it was just me. Several years ago, I started having an adverse reaction to anything beef that I ate. Then I read an article that more and more people are having a variety of adverse reactions to beef....mostly women, and usually after age 40. Anyone else out there having a beef with beef?

Patti
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM

I did and had to give it up for a while. At that time we were buying beef raised by 4H kids. We investigated and discovered the cattle were being given growth hormones. I felt "wierd" after eating it. The longer the beef stayed in my freezer, the more I detected an "odor" when I cooked it. I threw away a whole side of beef. I didn't eat beef for a long time after that. Now we buy from a farmer we know who raises them on clover and grain. Lots of difference!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM

Allergic Living magazine recently had an article on the increasing incidence of beef allergies. I check out the magazine from the library so I'm sorry I can't give you any info about which month it was published. We have lots of allergies in my family so I can empathize with you. Best wishes to you!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 AM

My MIL has had to become mostly a vegetarian now. She started having some noticeable reactions to both beef and pork. She can still eat chicken occasionally without the severe problems. And yes, she was in her late 50's when she started in with reactions. She can eat organic or grain fed like shequilts, with no problem, so it has to be the hormones they're adding now.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM

I can only eat hormone free beef. Luckily more and more stores are carrying it.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 AM

I can no longer eat beef. I have a major problem digesting it. Pork and chicken are ok, but I am really not much of a meat eater. Ususally about 2 bitefuls, and I want no more. It started when I was about 45 years old.

I always had a problem with the smell of beef cooking. I never could cook a steak or even a hamburger and eat it beause of the smell. The same thing in a steak house.

I can cook it for my family but have to clean up right away and get rid of the odor.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:07 AM

At our house, we have discovered the same issues with eggs from chickens that are given hormones and antibiotics. We don't buy them anymore.

So, if you are noticing the same things but haven't eaten meat, have you eaten anything with eggs or even milk?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM

It's probably not the actual meat that is causing the problem, but all the chemicals they injest or get injected into them that is the cause. Cows/pigs/chickens/etc are often feed antibiotics & hormones. I've read that they remain in the meat we end up eating.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM

I'll chime in here...if you're having a problem with "beef" or (insert commercially raised meat here) try some pasture raised, farm raised, free range, hormone-free, etc etc...it may make all the difference.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:27 AM

Beyond Americans being over weight, has anyone noticed the number of folks, me included, who have the proverbial spare tire around their middle? Maybe it's more noticeable because people don't cover it up as much anymore, I don't know. I've long suspected that the growth hormones, or something else commonly added to food, is more the cause of American obesity than poor dietary habits alone. There's something out there that's working against us. What do you think?