Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Nest Thermostat

Nest Thermostat

Does anyone have one of these? And what do you think about it? Our AC man recommends them. Has has them since 2012 and loves them.

haven't heard of it. Can you post a link?
    Jennifer: Organized in my dreams.
    🌷RIP dear Tigger....you are missed!
    Buddybear's Mom ...Yorkie Fur Baby

Blog Entries
    Ha, ha. I was thinking bird nest!!

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    Ha, ha. I was thinking bird nest!!
    I was too. I never heard of this brand before.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

My son has one in his home and loves it. I'm still not sure I want a thermostat capable of learning and making decisions.

Blog Entries
    Search 'nest thermostat' --- seems there are more unhappy customers than happy one's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    Does anyone have one of these? And what do you think about it? Our AC man recommends them. Has has them since 2012 and loves them.
    Biggest problem I have seen with them is the apple software updates that dump the memory, or the android app is nearly useless. If it were me, I would wait until they work out some of the "bugs" out of the system first, but that is me. I never run out and buy the newest and latest, I wait until the price comes down, since that seems to be when most electronic items work the best, with no problems.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Is your AC man selling them? My husband looked into them a while back, he's a geek, loves all things computerized and gadgetized. But the price was up there in the stratosphere. I wonder if your AC man is pushing them for a large commission.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    Is your AC man selling them? My husband looked into them a while back, he's a geek, loves all things computerized and gadgetized. But the price was up there in the stratosphere. I wonder if your AC man is pushing them for a large commission.
    No, he isn't selling them. I asked what he thought was best and that's what he likes. We've since decided to keep what we have since the one we have has very good ratings. We were wanting something that would keep an even temperature throughout the house. Both ours and the Nest do the same thing. All well, back to the drawing board.

Blog Entries
    We enrolled in an energy survey/ Nest thermostat trial last fall. A private contractor installed the Nest and advised us to keep the unit we had been using. Everything went as smooth as silk. In fact, we have never been so comfortable in our home. We have a home which had been insulated to electric heat standards in 1977. Our windows and doors are in excellent condition. Since we are retired, someone was usually home during the day so we were told we probably wouldn't see any large energy savings.

Everything went smoothly until we needed to use the AC late this spring. We don't know why it the unit turned completely off. Hubby reinstalled the original unit. The person at the survey/trial center was exceptionally nice, efficient and arranged for our local heating/ air conditioning contractor to service the Nest. (We re-installed our own thermostat because we didn't want to saddle the center with a high bill for weekend service.)

Our local contractor came to check out the settings. Nothing seemed to work at first and when he was ready to order a new unit, the darned thing started working! The difficulty that we discovered is that there is very little info available about using the unit!!! Installation instructions are great but we didn't have the use and care book nor could we secure info from the web.

We've been comfortable now both winter and summer. Price at the big orange box is about $250. We don't have a smart phone. I probably would not invest in the Nest if we had to buy our own because the price is so high. Otherwise, I like it. :-)

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have an EcoBee which is another brand of smart thermostat. I like that I can control and check things from my phone when I'm away. There was a learning curve to be able to program it. We got it free as part of an energy package offer through our utility company. I'm not in love with it any more than the programmable one it replaced which was easier to over ride if we had a change in schedule. My son has a Nest and loves it. He's an "Apple" type guy who has his whole house (sound, lights etc) programmed to be operated from his iPhone and now his Apple watch.

Blog Entries
    Hubs says it is a thermostat that you can 'talk with' via wifi. Right up his alley! He loves all things gadgety and computery!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I think it looks cool but it's too pricey for me.
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html