Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe! >

Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe!

Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Smile Never too Old to Learn.............Maybe!

I recently attended, with several friends, a cooking demonstration at our little rural church. We are all in our 70's and have been cooking for many years but still interested in learning new things. Well, seems we are hopelessly old fashioned. At least that is what we were told.

All of the foods we sampled were very spicy. All the recipes included garlic, hot peppers, Indian curries, Cajun spices, plenty of salt and other tongue tingling things. The young ladies liked them but we had to scrape the coatings off before we could eat them. When we mentioned we liked our foods more naturally cooked without added flavors we were told we were way behind the times and, get this, older people have to eat very spicy foods because our taste buds are nearly gone! Well, to each her own of course, but don't tell me about my taste buds!

Then came the cooking helps. Did you know you can use your cappacino machine part that makes frothy milk to scramble eggs and your paper shredder to cut pasta? Neither did I. I just use a fork to stir and a sharp knife to cut.

Best part is when we were told how to actually grow our own foods! Just buy special plants, put them in special soil you buy, in a special container you buy, under a special grow light you buy, wear special plastic gloves you buy, fertilize with special packages you buy, pick when ripe and wash in a special cleaner you buy, and eat. When they said it was so "organic" we nearly lost it. We all grew up and still live on farms, have gardened all our lives using dirt and manure and no plastic gloves, and canned and froze many, many foods to feed our families for years and years.

After another hour of such help we left, thanked the presenters profusely, and continued to do things our old fashioned ways.

Like I said, you are never too old to learn!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Too funny! I always wonder if something catastrophic happened to people like that how long they would survive! (LOL)
Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the laughs, I am with you in the 70's of my life and I eat mostly out...Was a lot of fast foods until the Dr put me on a no carb diet a few weeks ago. Oh how I want a piece of bread, mashed potatoes all those good things in life.
A doughnut to die for, will I get to the Golden Gates and think I should have eaten that chocolate cake???
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Hehehehe. New is not always better!!!
Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Well, as to the kids now, they wouldn't know what to do if we should have a real depression. My husband and I could. We could have beans and cornbread, sauerkraut, cooked cabbage, all kinds of stuff that is fairly cheap. Rice, . I could take the money they eat out on one meal and cook for 2 or 3 days. But that is the way we were raised. We had 3 big lots of garden and we picked corn, raspberries, blackberries, goosebarries, beans, spinach potatoes, radished lettuce, you name it. we canned it. Oh, for that fresh food that hasn't been treated with every chemical around. Just my humble opinion.ha.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

It is amazing the things some people can tell you and expect you to believe. We splurge once in a while and as I get older and lazier, I use some short cuts but, I still cook the old fashioned way. We have taste buds, just different than theirs.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Oh I couldn't stop laughing. What a time you had!!! oh well, they meant well- I think.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:09 PM

The pantry police aren't any better than the quilt police. I don't cook the old fashioned way and I probably eat cheaper than all of you and have more food in storage. I'm tired of hearing how one generation is better than another.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Last time I was in a junk store, some teen picked up a handheld egg beater and turn to ask her mother, "What in the world is this?" !!

Reckon they feel the same way about us and new technology, too, huh. (And they may be right in MY case!)

Jan in VA
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM

I am have been canning since I was 10yrs old. Helped my DM and still do can to this day. My DH picks wild berries and asparagus and I make jelly and jam. Freeze what ever I can. We have a garden and it is grown organic. No gloves no special anything. LOL