New cat/water fountain

Old 04-08-2016, 07:04 AM

Default New cat/water fountain

New adopted 7 yr old cat who apparently drinks water from faucets.......every time she hears running water, she's there! Our other pets drinks from bowls...she sees me fill them, looks at it, then walks away.....I really don't like her jumping up onto the kitchen sink or bathroom sinks, so I was concise ting buying a water fountain for pets. However, after reading reviews on most of them, I really hesitate...they sound like a bear to clean, motors make lots of noise, filters don't last long...on and on....
so, have ant of you had this dilemma, and what was your solution......
Old 04-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

I will be watching this too. i bought a cheap one at Wal mart and it lasted for awhile. then leaked. Luckily i had a rubber lipped pad under it. one of my cats loves water and i need a new one if and when i move back home.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

my neighbor adopted a cat who did the same thing. She kept a small squirt bottle of white vinegar on the counter top and cat got a quick squirt. Didn't take the cat long to figure she couldn't drink from the faucet anymore. Small cat and the water dish is where the dogs can't get to it.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:26 AM

My kitty is the proud owner of a "Drinkwell" fountain. Yes! It's a bear to clean for the first few times. It gets easier with practice. I think it takes me about 20 minutes or so to clean the fountain now. The part I hate is getting the fountain to the sink without slopping water everywhere! I have to say kitty still likes to drink out of the kitchen faucet! But she does drink out of her fountain more!
The noise isn't too bad. I'm pretty sensitive to 'roars' but this is tolerable, to me.
This is the fountain we have.
http://smile.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...ilpage_o07_s01
Old 04-08-2016, 07:37 AM

My cats never "took" to the fountain. I have an older cat that doesn't drink enough water and he gets crystals in his urine, and the vet recommended the fountain but he didn't drink from it any more than he did from a bowl. We even tried a couple different ones but he ignored them.

Some cats are just like people and get very set in their ways. Good luck!! With my old boy we ended up switching him to wet food and adding extra water into it to keep him healthy.

For keeping cats off of counters, I lay a long strip of scotch tape down, sticky-side up. It works pretty well in teaching them that sometimes that countertop isn't very pleasant.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

My kitty had 2 fountains in a 1,000 sq ft house. After many of them, we gave up, but Zoey loves her water. she has a glass of water on the kitchen sink, becuase she liked to drink out of the sink. I'd never squirt my kitty with vinegar, it could burn her skin or eyes. she had a water fountain on the floor in the living room, but after 3 of them dying on us, we gave her a a long oval dish of water. in the bedroom, she has another ice cream dish of water. she likes this one best. She will walk to the bedroom to get it. good exercise for an indoor cat. she takes a facial every night at the vaporizer too. Her drinking glasses are either glass or crystal. and Yes,, she eats off of a silver platter.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

There was an episode on "My Cat from Hell" dealing with this exact problem. All I remember is that he solved the problem.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

My son's cat has an automatic dry food dispenser and a water fountain. They keep both on a mat in the kitchen.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM

Will keep checking back for some helpful hints...in the meantime I will just pick her up and put back on the floor when she joins me at the kitchen or my bathroom sink. If I were alone with no visitors coming by, I could care less, but not all people are as understanding and might be revolted by a cat on counter drinking water from faucet. Plus my theory - if it's good enough for other cat and dogs to drink from floor bowl it's certainly good enough for "new kid on the block". Btw-- none of my furry friends eat out of crystal,China with silver...I save that for two legged friends..
Old 04-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

We have a drinking fountain for our cats. One loves it and the other one hates it. I love it because there is no water spilled on the floor. They have to be cleaned but any dish has to be and you have to remember to keep filling to the water level line.