Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New cat/water fountain

New cat/water fountain

New adopted 7 yr old cat who apparently drinks water from faucets.......every time she hears running water, she's there! Our other pets drinks from bowls...she sees me fill them, looks at it, then walks away.....I really don't like her jumping up onto the kitchen sink or bathroom sinks, so I was concise ting buying a water fountain for pets. However, after reading reviews on most of them, I really hesitate...they sound like a bear to clean, motors make lots of noise, filters don't last long...on and on....
    so, have ant of you had this dilemma, and what was your solution......

Blog Entries
    I will be watching this too. i bought a cheap one at Wal mart and it lasted for awhile. then leaked. Luckily i had a rubber lipped pad under it. one of my cats loves water and i need a new one if and when i move back home.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    my neighbor adopted a cat who did the same thing. She kept a small squirt bottle of white vinegar on the counter top and cat got a quick squirt. Didn't take the cat long to figure she couldn't drink from the faucet anymore. Small cat and the water dish is where the dogs can't get to it.

My kitty is the proud owner of a "Drinkwell" fountain. Yes! It's a bear to clean for the first few times. It gets easier with practice. I think it takes me about 20 minutes or so to clean the fountain now. The part I hate is getting the fountain to the sink without slopping water everywhere! I have to say kitty still likes to drink out of the kitchen faucet! But she does drink out of her fountain more!
    The noise isn't too bad. I'm pretty sensitive to 'roars' but this is tolerable, to me.
    This is the fountain we have.
    http://smile.amazon.com/PetSafe-Drin...ilpage_o07_s01
    Sew much fabric! Sew little time!

My cats never "took" to the fountain. I have an older cat that doesn't drink enough water and he gets crystals in his urine, and the vet recommended the fountain but he didn't drink from it any more than he did from a bowl. We even tried a couple different ones but he ignored them.

Some cats are just like people and get very set in their ways. Good luck!! With my old boy we ended up switching him to wet food and adding extra water into it to keep him healthy.

For keeping cats off of counters, I lay a long strip of scotch tape down, sticky-side up. It works pretty well in teaching them that sometimes that countertop isn't very pleasant.

Blog Entries
    My kitty had 2 fountains in a 1,000 sq ft house. After many of them, we gave up, but Zoey loves her water. she has a glass of water on the kitchen sink, becuase she liked to drink out of the sink. I'd never squirt my kitty with vinegar, it could burn her skin or eyes. she had a water fountain on the floor in the living room, but after 3 of them dying on us, we gave her a a long oval dish of water. in the bedroom, she has another ice cream dish of water. she likes this one best. She will walk to the bedroom to get it. good exercise for an indoor cat. she takes a facial every night at the vaporizer too. Her drinking glasses are either glass or crystal. and Yes,, she eats off of a silver platter.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

There was an episode on "My Cat from Hell" dealing with this exact problem. All I remember is that he solved the problem.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    My son's cat has an automatic dry food dispenser and a water fountain. They keep both on a mat in the kitchen.

Will keep checking back for some helpful hints...in the meantime I will just pick her up and put back on the floor when she joins me at the kitchen or my bathroom sink. If I were alone with no visitors coming by, I could care less, but not all people are as understanding and might be revolted by a cat on counter drinking water from faucet. Plus my theory - if it's good enough for other cat and dogs to drink from floor bowl it's certainly good enough for "new kid on the block". Btw-- none of my furry friends eat out of crystal,China with silver...I save that for two legged friends..

Blog Entries
    We have a drinking fountain for our cats. One loves it and the other one hates it. I love it because there is no water spilled on the floor. They have to be cleaned but any dish has to be and you have to remember to keep filling to the water level line.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    We use a water squirter -- only water -- to discourage kitties from places they don't belong. They are adjustable from spray to stream. No need to use nasty substances like vinegar. That's cruel and might net you some vet bills. Kitties can be reluctant to share dishes with others, especially if they are not cleaned and well rinsed every day. If adding a little water to kitty's food doesn't work, try offering a little dish of water with a couple drops of canned tuna fish water to entice.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    She probably dilutes the vinegar. It only took couple times and she would not aim for the eyes. All she has to do now is just leave the squirt bottle on the counter where the cat sees it. I can't stand the fact people allowing their pets on the counter after being in the litter box. I got after and never allowed my kids to sit on the counter much less any pet.

Blog Entries
    my cat used to drink water from the bathtub spout. of course we let it trickle for him.

Blog Entries
    Our cat has had a fountain for years. Works great, is not loud, is not difficult to clean, change the filter once a month, he loves it. I bought is at Walmart about 6 years ago.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

If it's not too inconvenient, keeping the fountain in the bathtub would solve a lot of dripping/leaking/cleaning issues.

When I was in high school my dad brought home a 2 year old Siamese cat that his coworker begged him to adopt. The man said 5 year old son hated the cat and kept trying to drown it in the toilet. That poor cat would only drink from the dripping kitchen faucet and wouldn't go near the bathroom. My mom was a germ-a-phobic and at first it drove her nuts that the cat got in the kitchen sink.
    If kitty insisted on running water I'd try to train it to a dripping bathtub spout.

Blog Entries
    My friend has a drinking fountain that runs all the time and sounds like running water. She complains that it is hard to clean, about once a month, but that all her pets are happy with it. I have two large bowls. Lately they have been flavoring their water with toys. It's hard to get into a cat's mind.

Remember when inside tabletop fountains were the rage! I love fountains and bought one! The water spray from it was not good...did not last long in the house! So I'm afraid of the same thing with this cat fountain I may have to seriously look into. I did buy one of those auto fill things with the large water bottle on top.....half way thru it, she knocked it over..the water saturated the bdrm carpeting, even into sub flooring...that was not good!!!!!! I put it in the tub in my bathroom (master)....... Well, the other cat decided that was a fun place to hang out too.....between them they would hit and bang it around til it fell over...of course during the nite.....that ended that experiment! Now there is just the large stainless steel weighted water bowl atop a plastic boot tray in the laundry room...used to be for Weimarinars(2), but now they will have to share! Original cat had no problem with that, but new "Roxie" watched me fill it, looked at it, smelled it and walked away.....she may be a midnight drinker..when all are asleep, she gets her fill...who knows!

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    New adopted 7 yr old cat who apparently drinks water from faucets.......every time she hears running water, she's there! Our other pets drinks from bowls...she sees me fill them, looks at it, then walks away.....I really don't like her jumping up onto the kitchen sink or bathroom sinks, so I was concise ting buying a water fountain for pets. However, after reading reviews on most of them, I really hesitate...they sound like a bear to clean, motors make lots of noise, filters don't last long...on and on....
    so, have ant of you had this dilemma, and what was your solution......
    Get one from Petsmart. Try it. If it doesn't work, you can return it easily. I believe if you buy online, you can return to the store. Different people have different experiences, and maybe it will work for you and your pet. Hope so.

I have a rather particular cat, Spaz. He has to have a full glass of water on the sink, and he drinks from it. If it is not completely full or clean, then he will meow until I clean and fill it. He has gotten the other 2 cats to drink from the glass as well. If I put a dish of water next to the food, it gets tipped over and then I get a clean floor when I clean it up. He will drink from the faucet in the bathroom, if I let it trickle, but that is wasteful, I would rather clean and fill the glass at least 2 times a day.

Power Poster
    Some people seem to be very well trained by their cats!

One of my cats loves water from the faucet, too. And like you, I don't like him jumping on the counters. I accidentally solved this problem when I didn't turn the bathtub faucet off all the way--he jumped into the tub and drank from the dribbling faucet. Problem solved--for me at least. I still keep a dish of water near their food bowls, but whenever I go into the bathroom, he follows me and jumps into the tub waiting for his water "fix." Just takes a few minutes out of my day, and no messy fountain to clean. He usually gets three or four looong drinks every day, and I have seen him drinking from the water bowl, too, especially when I put fresh water out.

We have one, our Cat Groomer, sells them for little over her costs, they come in of stainless steel or ceramic, all parts(except motor) are dishwasher safe. Our cats(3) and 1 dog do drink out it no problem. Unfortunately we live in an extremely hard water area, we have a water softener on full blast, I suspected the high salt content was reeking havoc with the senior cats health and we are seeing positive results so for now we will continue with it.
    We have had no issues what so ever. The same model is at PetSmart and Petco. Sorry, don't remember the name, it was in the $100 range.

Lynnie you are my kind of cat person! I did have a drinkwell fountain at one time. Killed the motor since i couldn't keep it filled all the time. Very busy household at that time. I have no problem letting my kitties drink from the faucet. If it encourages them to drink more water, I'm all for it and if guests don't like it they do t have to stay. My cats health comes before strangers.

We had one with our previous cats. We about to adopt 2 new cats and have already bought a fountain for them. We filter all the house water, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast