Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
new to me old singer- but what model? Can anyone help? >

new to me old singer- but what model? Can anyone help?

new to me old singer- but what model? Can anyone help?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM

I got this machine today from my mother-in-law. It belonged to my husband's great-grandma. None of the immediate family sew, so they gave it to me. (They truly treat me like their own. I am lucky to have married into this family! Well, no, not lucky- smart. LOL!)

I work at a quilt store that is just a block from my house so I brought it over to show the girls and one of our regulars was there and was able to get it threaded, bobbin wound and stitching for me. But no one knows what model this is. We know it's not a Featherweight, but that's about it.

The Singer website used to have a page where you could locate your model number and find out what kind of machine it was, but it seems to be a new website and when I put my model number in the search function it says "Not found". The model number is AF685648.

It has a kinda pretty wooden carrying case with a key/keyhole on the side that allows you to lift and remove the domed cover.

The only way I can see to "make it go" is with the silver colored (aluminum?) L-shaped thing that goes into a little hole in the front of the wood base, which you then push to the side- kind of like a knee pedal, but it's to short to use with your knee... unless you were sewing on a coffee table maybe? I would prefer a foot pedal if they are out there... otherwise will try to get hubby to rig something up to make this silver thing longer. I imagine the silver thing was added somewhere along the way because it has no age marks or discoloration.

There are two plates that slide out, one to the front and one to the back, that allow you to change the bobbin. The bobbin is unusual- it's like a pin, kind of (it's long)- and goes into a little housing that looks kind of like a bullet. That housing moves in a kind of half circle motion when you sew. (Is this a shuttle?) I would like to get a manual and some more bobbins so I can use this baby! Also, I am wondering about adjusting tension and stuff.

Can anyone help me out? I did try the phone number on the Singer website but it doesn't go through- gives me a busy signal every time I call.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-245817.jpe   attachment-245818.jpe   attachment-245819.jpe  
Old 08-23-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm guessing a 127 or 128.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM

If your machine is the Full-Size model with the 14 to 15 inch Bed (35cm to 38cm) then you have the Model 127. If your machine is the 3/4-Size model with the 12 to 13 inch Bed (30cm to 32cm) then you have the Model 128.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:40 AM

what is the serial number. it is just below that gold round thing on the front
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM

so, was this probably a treadle that was converted?

serial number is AF685648
Old 08-23-2011, 11:44 AM

You can look up the serial number & find out the model and date that series was manufactured.

http://www.singerco.com/admin-suppor.../double-letter
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa T
so, was this probably a treadle that was converted?

serial number is AF685648
Looks like a Model 128 made in 1940. Probably not a treadle, but electric when made.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

QCowgirl- THANK YOU! I have been looking for that very page for at least an hour! Now I can look for parts.

Thank you to all for the help! I did measure it and not sure what the bed is, but figured it must be the width of the metal part, which is 12".
Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa T

The Singer website used to have a page where you could locate your model number and find out what kind of machine it was, but it seems to be a new website and when I put my model number in the search function it says "Not found". The model number is AF685648.

The only way I can see to "make it go" is with the silver colored (aluminum?) L-shaped thing that goes into a little hole in the front of the wood base, which you then push to the side- kind of like a knee pedal, but it's to short to use with your knee... unless you were sewing on a coffee table maybe? I would prefer a foot pedal if they are out there... otherwise will try to get hubby to rig something up to make this silver thing longer. I imagine the silver thing was added somewhere along the way because it has no age marks or discoloration.

There are two plates that slide out, one to the front and one to the back, that allow you to change the bobbin. The bobbin is unusual- it's like a pin, kind of (it's long)- and goes into a little housing that looks kind of like a bullet. That housing moves in a kind of half circle motion when you sew. (Is this a shuttle?) I would like to get a manual and some more bobbins so I can use this baby! Also, I am wondering about adjusting tension and stuff.
You can email them with the serial number and they will get back to you with the Model #

You can probably find a foot pedal and/or better knee press online or ebay

The manual you can still get off the Singer web site. They promise that the Serial Number page is coming back--that they are still working on it... The bobbins can usually be found online too. Hope this helps!
Old 08-23-2011, 11:51 AM

Yes, it looks like a 127 or 128. That silver thing isn't original, I don't think. The bar should be curvy ahd longer. Also, the machine itself has a totally different finish than mine. The case is a Bentwood style.

Singer rearranged their site about a week ago. When you go to their site enter "serial number" in the search bar and it should take you to the identification page.

Also post your pictures under the topic Vintage Sewing Machine Shop which is Lostn51's topic. His name is Billy. There are several knowledgeable people who post there who can help you. Billy also have tutorials under that topic which will help you maintain your machine.

Good luck in getting her to work!!