New Phone

Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 AM

It's about time to get my "new every 2 year" phone from Verizon. The thing is, if I get a new phone like I would like to have I am forced to subcribe to a data package. To get us both one with "forced" plans it would be almost $200 a month.

I feel like I can do everything from my PC, and I know I can get a phone for both of us from another company (don't know if allowed to mention here) with unlimited text and calling to each other -- it would be $30 a month.

Do many of you use the apps seen everywhere, or the "Smart Phone" for things you couldn't do elsewhere?

Is it worth it to pay for the phone services? I rarely get calls from anyone but my husband, and a few appointment verifications, etc.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46 AM

A data package is handy if you need to access the internet from your phone frequently.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 AM

I love my iPhone... I hardly even touch my home computer anymore. But, I text A LOT, on am a FB junkie and I love to check QB on it as well. There are a lot of apps I like, music apps, running apps, a checkbook app... I dont know what I would do without it. :) But, I do pay 200 bucks a months to have it (plus my kids have phones without data plans). There are a few nice data plan free phones that Verizon offers... my daughter has a touch phone with a keyboard.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM

I have the smart phone and my data package is only $29.99 a month. Other than e-mail, the weather channel, and maps. I don't use a lot of apps. I may later.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 AM

My phone makes and takes calls. I even blocked texting. I already pay for the internet for my computer, so don't pay for data on my phone. We're on the family plan, myself, dad, my two daughters and foster son, and it runs us about $80 a month. We're with AT&T.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by CAS49OR
It's about time to get my "new every 2 year" phone from Verizon. The thing is, if I get a new phone like I would like to have I am forced to subcribe to a data package. To get us both one with "forced" plans it would be almost $200 a month.

I feel like I can do everything from my PC, and I know I can get a phone for both of us from another company (don't know if allowed to mention here) with unlimited text and calling to each other -- it would be $30 a month.

Do many of you use the apps seen everywhere, or the "Smart Phone" for things you couldn't do elsewhere?

Is it worth it to pay for the phone services? I rarely get calls from anyone but my husband, and a few appointment verifications, etc.
sprint is the only one who has unlimited data plans right now. i use mine mostly for the gps, and to stay in touch with my kids out of state..calling and texting. it is not a smart phone i don't think. it is the "LG rumor touch" . the key board opens, easy to use, and can check here and other websites when i travel. my SIL and kids have the smart phones, and they love them. they download apps for coupons/shops/grocery stores. a couple apps for the grandkids to play learning games. we are all on the family plan..6 of us on the same plan..we split the bill 6 ways. it comes in my daughters name..and we all have the password to get into sprint to pay our share of the bill each month. $38 each.

i wish my husband would agree to get rid of the land line.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM

I almost got a smart phone (aka iPhone or Android) on my most recent new-every-2 in June. The "dumb" phones are going the way of the do-do bird, there weren't very many to choose from. However, like you, I decided I couldn't afford the high cost of the data packages, so went with a "dumb" phone this time. I really, really want an iPhone, but am going to wait until my next renewal. I'm sure by then there will be nothing but smart phones to choose from.

I have an iPod and use it constantly. I can't live without it. Apps, games, movies, tv shows, music, things to keep me entertained when I'm waiting to pick a kid up, and it helps me relax and fall asleep at night without disturbing my DH.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:15 AM

It sounds like many of you are leaning toward getting a smart phone. I have one now, LG ENV touch (not as evolved), but do not subscribe to any data plan. I already have a GPS unit in the car, and have not tried any apps. I just see them everywhere. From entering a contest to downloading current articles.

I used to want a DroidX, but now there is the 4G Droid. It is called something else. I liked the huge screen on the DroidX and the 8mg camera. and playing around with it --- really wanted one.

Peckish, do you have an ipod or ipad? There sure are rave reviews about ipad, but I don't know if I want to spend money for that either.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

It seems to me that at our age - over 65, retired, family elsewhere - if you have a computer that you use nearly every day, don't play internet games, don't do lots of different online buying, don't follow the news or stock market constantly, don't send or receive urgent pictures or text messages, and love to spend you time quilting/cooking/gardening/traveling/attending guild meetings and bees................then why on earth pay for all the bells and whistles, whose sounds and interruptions just annoy you anyway, when you were just fine and dandy with life as it was even just 3-5 years ago?!!

Basic phone, basic plan, a decent laptop, a comfy chair, my sewing machine, and a healthy stash....that's all I need to make me happy as a June bug in May! Basic and proud of it, LOL!:D

Mine's Verizon, both cell and internet connection-with-Mi-fi and the total is less than $70 a month.

Jan in VA
Old 08-04-2011, 02:27 PM

U.S. Cellular Android. Love it!!