Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No more mess!!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Mine needs cleaning desperately, too. But whenever I get that urge, I just go take a nap.
    __________________________________________________ _________
    Amazing .. me too .. with my dog and my foster cat .. WOW !! lol
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Well, to me that sounds like she does not want anything of yours.......so to be "fair" if it were me, I would give it those who would want it now! I have the same situation here...so I am giving to " others" ........
    She has many of the quilts I've made. She is into scrapbooking and knitting. Her craft room could be a magazine picture on any day. It's so pretty. She uses all the quilts I give her but isn't interested in making one. She has knitted me beautiful sweaters as I'm not interested in knitting but love the sweaters. I know better about leaving an unorganized home. I had to clean and sort two of my older relatives homes and before I was done I was ready to just call someone and say take everything, just get it out. I was getting angry of the mess they left for me to deal with even though I loved them very much.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I am in the middle of discarding and organizing also. We just had our hardwood floors refinished so everything had to be emptied out. Now to put everything back and decide what really doesn't need to go back in. It is surprising to see what has been stored -- for who knows how long. Hubby is doing the happy dance every time I say this box is going to charity or dump. A lot more would be going if I would let him have his way. Sure will be glad when it is all put back together.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Mine needs cleaning desperately, too. But whenever I get that urge, I just go take a nap.
    This made me laugh! Sounds like a good plan!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    A few years ago when DD, a very minimalist person, was in my sewing room with me she said, mom if something happened to you, I don't want to sort through all this fabric and quilting things and it's really not fair to leave it like this for someone to have to. I know she is right and that has motivated me to organize and get rid of a lot of stored items. Not just in the sewing room but the whole house.
    My daughters said the same thing to me, so I spent THREE weeks (off & on) to, again, sift through my 8x8 sewing room that is floor to ceiling in bookshelves, drawer totes and an overly filled 4x4 pegboard (no fabric in here). I also sorted, and put into separate 3-ring binders, my purchased quilt patterns, magazine cutouts & computer print outs, embroidery designs, How-to's, paper piecing, doll patterns and etc. Whew. Also made up an MSExcel spreadsheet as I did it so that I don't waste an entire evening looking for something (it has almost 1100 items & a separate listing of books on this list). I even started to put Replacement Cost figures on the items and that was pretty scary in itself. The numerous listing of UFO's was also alarming. Need to get rid of things in the rest of the house, but have some pillows and quilts to finish and we know which will wait till later ---and gardening season is coming to interrupt the 'later'!!!

My grandmother's china set, my adult kids do not want it, my nieces did not want it, I am the one keeping it in the cabinet and we never use it. What do you do with stuff like that? It will be tossed if something happens to me so why am I hanging on to it? Just too much stuff that never gets used.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Power Poster
    i did the same thing such a nice feeling!
    QUILTNMO

Why not use them for special occasions. None of my married children wanted china when they got married. They still do not have china and they are approaching the 30 year mark. My mom had dishes that dated back to the late 1800's. She has each grandchild's name on a dish. I will give each their assigned dish and will not ask what they do it. I think one will keep it & pass it down, one might not even get it home before it is tossed, and I'm not sure what the third one will do. This younger generation just doesn't seem to need to hang on to the past.

My mom's side of the family has a lot of family silver, furniture, etc that dated back to the 1600's on a couple of items. My grandmother and my mother gave most of it to the person that they wanted to give it to before they passed. I had the responsibility of doing a lot of sorting at my mom's house after she passed away. Basically told everyone that if they wanted something specific to say so, otherwise it would be sold or given away. We didn't have any arguments and that was nice. For my own children I have said the same thing. I am trying to clear out a lot of crap (I am 59) but they will deal with the rest of it because I want to enjoy what I have now and not worry about what they don't want to deal with when I am gone.

I do keep them informed what has some value and what does not. My youngest daughter loves the "family" items" but my other daughter doesn't care at all.

After all - when I am gone it won't matter.
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 03-26-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2