Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: No sewing for 10 days

No sewing for 10 days

Headed to Colorado without a sewing machine! What will I do??!! (Other than drive my mother around!).

Will just have to buy lots of fabric to touch and smell and maybe roll around in.

Margaret

Blog Entries
    Get a hand project quick! Before you get the withdrawal-crazies! Maybe for a hexagon pincushion?
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Ha! Read quilting magazines?

Power Poster
    ​Hexagon hand sewing or embroidery blocks.

Blog Entries
    i'm doing hexes, it's addicting and portable
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Well, my flight got cancelled, so it's only 9 days now! I'm going to go quilt like mad for a few hours.

I'd like to try the hexes, but I don't have the templates or the paper you use. I haven't ever done them before, but it does sound like a fun thing. My fine motor skills aren't as good as they used to be due to arthritis, but if I just planned to finish the quilt in about 8 years I could probably do it!

Bring paper and design something new.
    Quickly pin a top that is done and do some hand quilting
    Organize (in your head) the sewing room to be more efficient.

Relax and give your hands a vacation.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    How about doing what I am doing - my project for the summer -- I am cross stitch embroidering a 48x48 Christmas quilt. My brain is machine sewing, but I am sitting in a rocking chair on the deck with my Marie Bostwick audiobooks and a nice glass of Chardonnay or Auslese, cross-stitching my little heart out. I have been working on this for about four years now and probably by 2020 I will finish. No, I'll get it done. I have until the 21st of September to get as much as I can done and then I set it aside for when I go somewhere or have to wait for someone in the doctor's office or something. Then I get a few stitches in and inch by inch, it'll get done. You can get kits to sew them up - comes with thread and everything. Mine came with 26 different colors - Actually "Merry Christmas" has three shades of red! And I don't like holly or holly berries anymore!!!!!!!!! I am heading to Milwaukee in September and can't decide whether to bring my treasured (from my husband) stork scissors for clipping, or bringing the old toenail clipper. I like the scissors and it has only 1" of sharp, but it is my treasure and I am assuming that other sewers/quilters use the nail clippers only because they don't want their favorite scissors confiscated! I guess it'll be the toenail clippers!!!!! One flight I took not too long ago; the stewardess wouldn't let me sew because she didn't want me to poke my eye with the needle in case of an emergency - Heck, if I am going to die in an airplane crash would a needle save my life? Duhhhhhh!!!!!! Safe Trip. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Power Poster
    Sounds like fun to me....Buy, buy ,buy...LOL...

Epp!!!!!!!
    From the heart
    Nancy

Power Poster
    i would go crazy i would have to take a hand project!
    QUILTNMO

I also live in Tri-Cities and travel to CO often to visit daughter and family. Have my own sewing machine & serger there. CO is a great place to sew, also! LOL

Hand embroider some Christmas squares using #8 red perle cotton. Then use pretty Christmas fabric to make them into a Christmas quilt. Using perle cotton and doing red work is mindless. There is no having to look at your pattern to see what color to use.

I was gone for 3 weeks without a sewing machine. I took a book to read, a couple of crocheting projects, my mothers recipes to proof read that my sister put on the computer--all to do in the car while traveling. While at my children's home, I enjoyed the grand kids and when at sister's house we shopped. Got home and was to tired to sew so went a couple more days before I sat down to the machine. Now I am at full swing and enjoying it.

I prepped several panels for the hand work on a cathedral window.

There's always crochet or knitting. Can you bring knitting needles on an airplane?

So far I have the offer of my soon-to-be SIL's old, non working Bernina, and a possibility of my niece's old, non working Swiss Elna. I don't have to shop! And, I've decided to give my hands a rest as I had been working them hard the last few weeks.

Colorado is beautiful and full of things to do other than quilting. (I know it is hard to believe). There are two quilt museums in the area besides all of the historical sites. I hope your mom will allow you to venture out and enjoy yourself.
    Last edited by GrammaNan; 07-14-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

Sadly, so far I've just been driving my mom around to things. Tomorrow we go to Breckenridge , though, and I will have 3 or 4 days of just relaxing. I bought a book called "The Quilt That Walked to Golden." Lots of good pictures and interesting stories of quilts made in the Midwest from the Civil War to the 1920's.

We are heading for Pagosa Springs, Co on Sunday. I'm gonna fly fish, ride the 4 wheeler, fly fish, check out a quilt shop, and fly fish some more. Love to quilt, but I love the outdoors also. They have lots of water (cold) that we don't have in Southern New Mexico. It's going to be close to 100 degrees here, so I will enjoy myself.
    Sandy