Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: non quilting question

Blog Entries

non quilting question

Know that many of you are involved in more than one type of needlework so I need some input from those of you who crochet as well. When you finish a specific thread if working on a project involving many color changes and not feasible to "carry" the thread on the back, how far back do you bury the tail of l'ast used thread? Most books tell you, "a few stitches back"....is this really secure enough?

I knot the thread or yarn to a stitch before weaving the end piece. I weave yarn about four inches, thread about two.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I like to split the ply's of the yarn (whether crochet or knit) and weave each ply separately and in a different direction. I will weave a few stitches, back track a few stitches, then back track again (in effect - weave to the right, then to the left the same distance, then to the right again same distance).
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Blog Entries
    Thank you both so much for your responses.

Wonnie you might like this blog, they have a daily digest similar to Quiltingboard and answer crochet and knitting questions. When I weave a thread in I go for about an inch but I also go back again.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/
    :-)
    CAS

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I knot the thread or yarn to a stitch before weaving the end piece. I weave yarn about four inches, thread about two.
    I knot my yarns together before I begin with the second thread, then I weave the yarn pieces about 4 or 5 inches.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    Wonnie you might like this blog, they have a daily digest similar to Quiltingboard and answer crochet and knitting questions. When I weave a thread in I go for about an inch but I also go back again.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/
    Great site and I thank you for calling it to my attention!

I knot the new yarn onto my work then crochet over the tail (about 2 inches) until it disappears. Saves having to bury threads when you are done.