Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 124

Thread: Not so well known facts

  1. #26
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats
    The "Creature From The Black Lagoon" movie was filmed at Wakulla Springs, FL, about 30 miles from where I live.
    Now that is cool!

  2. #27
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,687
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Michiganders are the only ones that carry a map of their state with them at all times! LOL
    you have to explain this one please.

  3. #28
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,342
    Kool-Aid was invented near Hastings, NE.
    BIL told me Cedar Rapids,IA is the only town in US that built their courthouse in a river.

  4. #29
    Super Member Peckish's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    6,166
    Blog Entries
    1
    "Leverage" has a lot of scenes filmed locally.

  5. #30
    Senior Member pinecone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    811
    My grandfather's cousin invented the snowmobile and On Golden Pond was filmed not too far from me.

    Interesting topic. CC, love the history of your family in Texas. Although faaaaar from famous, I am a 7 generation resident of my town.

    piney

  6. #31
    Super Member sewNso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S C michigan
    Posts
    2,007
    Blog Entries
    1
    jackson michigan had the largest walled prison in the u.s. until it closed , ohhh 6 yrs ago. it was tooo big to air condition. and the prisoners had taken the state to court and won air conditioning. sooo rather than have the cost of air conditioning such a hugeeeee building, they made smaller ones.

  7. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso
    jackson michigan had the largest walled prison in the u.s. until it closed , ohhh 6 yrs ago. it was tooo big to air condition. and the prisoners had taken the state to court and won air conditioning. sooo rather than have the cost of air conditioning such a hugeeeee building, they made smaller ones.
    Sherriff Joe Arpiao in AZ puts prisoners in tents!

  8. #33
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebird
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso
    jackson michigan had the largest walled prison in the u.s. until it closed , ohhh 6 yrs ago. it was tooo big to air condition. and the prisoners had taken the state to court and won air conditioning. sooo rather than have the cost of air conditioning such a hugeeeee building, they made smaller ones.
    Sherriff Joe Arpiao in AZ puts prisoners in tents!
    He also makes them wear pink and eat Nutriloaf. Yuk!

  9. #34
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Illinois has more Governors or ex-Governers gulty of Federal Crimes than any other state.

    Just makes me wanna bust with pride.
    Go Blago! Woot Woot! lol.

  10. #35
    Senior Member SharBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    472
    Rhode Island - the Smallest State.

    And we have the best politicians money can buy!


    Also, the town where I live is the birthplace of Gilbert Stuart - who painted the famous portrait of George Washington.

    White Horse Tavern was built in 1673 and is the oldest operating tavern in the United States is in Newport, RI.

  11. #36
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by sewNso
    jackson michigan had the largest walled prison in the u.s. until it closed , ohhh 6 yrs ago. it was tooo big to air condition. and the prisoners had taken the state to court and won air conditioning. sooo rather than have the cost of air conditioning such a hugeeeee building, they made smaller ones.
    Aww poor babies. Aren't they in prison to be punished? Prisoners before a/c was invented managed to make it through the summer OK.

  12. #37
    Super Member AlwaysQuilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,704
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Helovesme
    I'm originally from Toledo Ohio and I do know that before the name Toledo came into play, the original name for it was Frogtown. (Found that to be very interesting!) And I live in the great state of Texas now and we are the only state allowed to fly our flag the same height as the American flag. :-)
    I'm from Toledo, OH too and it used to be (maybe still is) called The Glass Capital of the World because Libby/Owens/Ford factory is there.

  13. #38
    Super Member dakotamaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South central Nebraska, US
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by Willa
    Kool-Aid was invented near Hastings, NE.
    BIL told me Cedar Rapids,IA is the only town in US that built their courthouse in a river.
    Yup, have Kool-Aid days every summer!

  14. #39
    Super Member Edie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    2,619
    Blog Entries
    1
    St. Paul, capitol city of Minnesota started off as a little French village that was visited by fur traders traveling down the Mississippi River in Indian canoes. Its first resident was Pierre Parrant, a French-Canadian voyageur. He was known as Pig's Eye. French-Swiss refugees came down the river seeking homes and landed near Pig's Eye Landing. Homes were built in European peasant style and that became Pig's Eye, Minnesota. Soon the German immigrants came and then the Swedes and Norwegians (they were the Lutherans). The town of Pig's Eye was changed eventually to St. Paul, after St. Paul (the Apostle). We became a very diverse city. We celebrate practically everyone's holiday - Oktoberfest, Svenskarnas Dag, Syttende Mai, Cinco de Mayo, and the ever popular St. Urho's Day (that's when the Finns chased the grasshoppers out of Finland). We had areas around the city, "Little Italy" and "Swede Hollow" (that is where my great aunts lived when they came to St. Paul from Sweden. My great uncle was a Police Officer for the City of St. Paul in the late 1800's/early 1900's.) The Swedes moved out and moved to the East side of St. Paul and then another group moved in and lived there until it was declared unfit for human habitation in 1950 and now it is a City Park. I have a lot of stories of when my aunts lived there - happy, sad, scary and a close knit community.

    This is my city, I love it, I always have and I always will.
    My husband worked for the City of St. Paul as a laborer for 34 years. We can drive around and he says "I built that", I shoveled those steps, I fixed that alley! He worked the floods in 1964 and 1968. He has put his life into St. Paul, broken bones, Hepatitis, Leukemia, stitches, herniated discs, but we still love St. Paul. We can get angry at it, and if I couldn't live here anymore, where would I go? I would go to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. It is steeped deep in my husband's family as St. Paul is steeped deep in mine!
    There is one spot in St. Paul that, to me, is awesome. You can stand in one spot and make a complete 360 degree circle and see every mode of transportation - airport, the river, the railroad tracks, the bike trails, the walking paths, the roads for driving - all of this within about one block. No wonder Pig's Eye loved this area. And I do too. Edie

  15. #40
    Super Member Glenda m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,132
    Oklahoma can claim the shopping cart and the parking meter. Here in my home town..they flimed the bathroom scene from Rain Man in a local motel and most of the vintage cars are from around here, too.

  16. #41
    Super Member Sienna's GiGi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie
    St. Paul, capitol city of Minnesota started off as a little French village that was visited by fur traders traveling down the Mississippi River in Indian canoes. Its first resident was Pierre Parrant, a French-Canadian voyageur. He was known as Pig's Eye. French-Swiss refugees came down the river seeking homes and landed near Pig's Eye Landing. Homes were built in European peasant style and that became Pig's Eye, Minnesota. Soon the German immigrants came and then the Swedes and Norwegians (they were the Lutherans). The town of Pig's Eye was changed eventually to St. Paul, after St. Paul (the Apostle). We became a very diverse city. We celebrate practically everyone's holiday - Oktoberfest, Svenskarnas Dag, Syttende Mai, Cinco de Mayo, and the ever popular St. Urho's Day (that's when the Finns chased the grasshoppers out of Finland). We had areas around the city, "Little Italy" and "Swede Hollow" (that is where my great aunts lived when they came to St. Paul from Sweden. My great uncle was a Police Officer for the City of St. Paul in the late 1800's/early 1900's.) The Swedes moved out and moved to the East side of St. Paul and then another group moved in and lived there until it was declared unfit for human habitation in 1950 and now it is a City Park. I have a lot of stories of when my aunts lived there - happy, sad, scary and a close knit community.

    This is my city, I love it, I always have and I always will.
    My husband worked for the City of St. Paul as a laborer for 34 years. We can drive around and he says "I built that", I shoveled those steps, I fixed that alley! He worked the floods in 1964 and 1968. He has put his life into St. Paul, broken bones, Hepatitis, Leukemia, stitches, herniated discs, but we still love St. Paul. We can get angry at it, and if I couldn't live here anymore, where would I go? I would go to the Amana Colonies in Iowa. It is steeped deep in my husband's family as St. Paul is steeped deep in mine!
    There is one spot in St. Paul that, to me, is awesome. You can stand in one spot and make a complete 360 degree circle and see every mode of transportation - airport, the river, the railroad tracks, the bike trails, the walking paths, the roads for driving - all of this within about one block. No wonder Pig's Eye loved this area. And I do too. Edie
    Awesome facts! Very interesting.

  17. #42
    Senior Member collady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Posts
    853
    Batesville is located on the beautiful White River, at the foothills of the Ozark Mts. It is the home of Lyon College, the oldest college in Arkansas. (formerly Arkansas College, not the University of Arkanas.) It is the second oldest continually inhabited town in Arkansas (Helena is the oldest). Several of our former governors lived here at different times. It was the site of a little know Civil War battle, and served as both the Union and Confederate State headquarters at different times.

  18. #43
    Super Member Mornigstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bobcaygeon,On./ Bonita Springs, Fl
    Posts
    1,000
    Bobcaygeon has Lock 32 on the Trent Canal System but was the first canal built of the 45 that join Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay --Saves many miles for personal watercraft if your boat is less than 110 ft long. Big ships have to go all thru the Great Lakes.

  19. #44
    Super Member Baloonatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    Posts
    1,931
    * I've heard we're arguably the Allergy Central county...
    * Sunset voted us the "Happiest Place in America"
    * We are the home of the 5th California Mission built in 1772.
    * We are the first city to ban smoking in public buildings.
    * We were the first in the country to have a Farmer's Market. It was proposed back in the 70's as a good reason to close several blocks on one of the two main one-way streets through town so as to thwart the Thursday night 'cruisers' that used to circle thru the downtown for hours. Thus an era came to an end, and another was born....
    * The AMGEN bike races go right by my house!!
    * Home of Cattaneo Brothers and Ray's Own beef jerky, Swiss sausage, and Linguisa! None better!!!
    * Home of San Luis Sourdough Co.
    * Home of California State Polytechnic University aka Cal Poly SLO

    [color=blue] http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=z7tgagFeVH0

  20. #45
    Member DesertNurse41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pa
    Posts
    57
    In Richland Pa, we are in the Guiness Book for the only town in the US that still has active train tracks running thru town square. Not very interesting I think but hey it's there, might as well use it as our claim to fame..lol

  21. #46
    Senior Member pstrwife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montrose, Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienna's GiGi
    Ohio was the first state to enact laws protecting women in 1852. AA was started there (in Akron, my hometown) and the first police cars were used there too. Ohio is also the home state of seven presidents and Akron is/was the rubber capital of the world.
    What are some cool but little known facts about where you live or come from?
    don't know that historic stuff but these are important too. See it is all about food, food, food.
    # 1-Kogel's Viennas-best hotdog for coneys or alone.
    # 2-Highest standard for ingredients in hot dogs, no by products. Other companies have to manufacture here because they have to raise their standards.
    # 3-Vernors gingerale-spoiled for anything else.
    # 4-ME (lol) hahahaha

  22. #47
    Senior Member pstrwife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Montrose, Michigan
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Michiganders are the only ones that carry a map of their state with them at all times! LOL
    good one.

  23. #48
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,937
    Appleton, Wisconsin has a few "claims to fame"

    *Harry Houdini lived in Appleton for 4 years in his childhood
    *Home to Lawrence University
    *Nation's first hydro-electric central station was in Appleton, beginning operation in 1882-The power plant also powered the Hearthstone House, the first residence in the world powered by a centrally located hydroelectric station
    *Nations first operation of a commercially successful electric streetcar company.
    *Appleton had the first telephone in Wisconsin
    *Appleton had the first incandescent light in any city outside of the east coast
    * First enclosed shopping mall in the United States

  24. #49
    Super Member patchsamkim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Fox Valley Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,937
    Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    Michiganders are the only ones that carry a map of their state with them at all times! LOL
    you have to explain this one please.
    If you hold out your left hand, it is shaped like the lower part of Michigan, and you can point to parts of your hand to show where places in Michigan are. My mom grew up in the "thumb" of Michigan, and can remember her showing people just where on her hand.

  25. #50
    Super Member piepatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,929
    I once read in a quilting book that there was a law written in Texas long ago (I think in the 1800's) that says a lawyer has to accept quilts as payment for his fee. The article said the law is still on the books. I would love to know if that law still exists, and if it applies anywhere else.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.