Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize

Life loves to throw us curve balls. And I know I have had a few. For those who have been so patient with me on getting their winnings........First I want to APOLOGIZE for my neglect in mailing them out in a timely manner as it says in the sign up.

Second...... they have all been mailed and you should be getting them some time next week. I have added a little extra to those who are way late.......please let me know when you get them.

Again I am sorry and please forgive me.

I am ahead of the game with mailing out the October winnings, they went out this morning with the rest.

I feel my life is getting back to somewhat normal......LOL whatever normal is. I am getting my routine down, and making a plan. I know KARMA will and has gotten me in one way or another.

Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Quilting.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

I would like to join. I just lost 6 lbs because I fractured some ribs and lost my appetite and want to keep loosing.

We'd be glad to have you on board Susanna10!
    Sorry to hear about your ribs, ouch!!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Blog Entries
    Congratulations CHQ. 6 pounds is great. I have got to get back to exercising. My weight loss is stalled and everything is geting soft. I was going to the gym or walking pretty regularly for a while and could definatly see and feel the difference on my body. I help coach a program called Girls on the Run at school. It teaches about being and eating healthy and self esteem. I of course don't run but in a couple of weeks they will run a 5K and I will walk it. This will be my 4th year and my goal is to go a little faster each year. Hope I can do it this year. I bring up the rear and watch for any girls who have trouble running it or anything else. The girls really enjoy it.
    Thanks for the compliments on the quilt. I am really happy with how it looks. I too have many UFO's. I have been making myself finish a bunch of them before I can start what I really want to do. I have a bargello I had hoped to start this summer, looks like it will be next summer now. I still have several more UFO's I need to do. I have a quilt that has been sitting for at least 6 months that just needs the binding hand sewed.

Blog Entries
    meanmom, you sound like me, as i always have 5 or 6 going. right now i am working on another primary color quilt for a grdsn for xmas. as welll as a dear jane, and a couple BOM that need to be put together. these last two primary quilts i worked on, are stash busters, and/or BOM i had bought a several years ago. trying to resist stash building all i can, but sometimes, i just can't help myself. i resisted the junk food today, did everyone else? or is the the day, you are allowing yourself treats?

Blog Entries
    Welcome back, y'all and welcome to Susanna10.

I finished my donation quilt 10 minutes before it was time to deliver it this morning. I am the cashier in the jewelry room. Jewelry is donated and we clean and card it. It is priced low - mostly $1, some a little more and lots $.50 or less. $900 worth was sold in a few hours. My brain is tired from adding quickly. I did take a break to have a cup of tea and a snack with my friend. It's the women's bazaar, but the men work the dining room for us. I will post a picture of the quilt when I find a Kodak USB cord. I installed a new printer this week and it has no port for the SD card. My computer doesn't seem to have one either. I just have to remember where I put the cords - in the top of the computer desk, maybe??

Well, the fun has begin. The doctor I saw yesterday says I have fungal meningitis growing in my SI joints - which are very close to the spine. I have to have an MRI immediately. He says it diagnoses better than a spinal tap in these cases. Hey, I don't have an expendable $150 for my copay - I and I am claustrophobic. He said they have three very ill patients in their hospital who have had to had there joints scraped of mold and one died in the big medical center in Petosky this morning. Yikes. I'm not sure I agree with him, but when I was obviously dragging my feet, He said, "You don't understand - you will die without treatment." Another yikes! My house is too cluttered. I wouldn't do that to my children.

Gayle, http://www.skiwalking.com/
    and check out this blog:
    http://nordic-walking-usa.com/2010/1...s-pain-relief/ If I didn't have Lily and Moira, I'd immediately purchase the $70 ones.

Congratulations, CHQ. 6 pounds is near the perfect 2 pounds a week.

Dr Oz had a good program this week - maybe Thursday - check his website - they have videos of most of the featured segments. One high carb day, one low carb day with a feast day on Sunday. The success rate seems to be high and I could do this easily. The feast day adds 1000 calories. Wow! He recommended having it out of the house so you won't have leftovers looking at you on Monday. Did he ever hear of a freezer? I am a better baker and sometimes a better cook than any local restaurant. The low/high carb days are calorie controlled - whatever your normal limited intake is. Mine 1380 calories - 10 calories for every pound of my desired weight which is 138. Those aren't Dr OZ numbers, just old ones that work for me.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Irish quit dragging your feet and get to the doctor. There are open MRI's or they can give you something. If you don't take care of the meningitis it will just get worse. We will pray for you. Sounds awful.
    The Halloween candy is gone from my house. That is a good thing. I have had my hand in the bag way too many times. I sent it home with my DD. Her roommates are thrilled with the goodies. I am a chocolate addict and there doesn't seem to be a cure for me. I am going to the gym today for the first time in weeks. As soon as the washing machine is finished I am going to the gym.
    Healthy eating to all. Drink your water and eat your vegetables.
    Pat

Junior Member CountryHouseQuilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for all the congratulations!!!! You don't know how good that makes me feel, oh, and the fact that the pants I have on are a little baggier than normal!! Just need to keep plugging away. The next 2 months are the "hard" months!!!! keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get tempted and side tracked. Busy busy will be my key to get by!!

MeanMom, I know what you mean about UFO's. I'm finishing the binding on 2 quilts I made - 3 yrs ago. One was a BDay gift for my Mom. She's 84 this month, and asked "Will I have it by next Halloween". I told her it was incentive for her to stick around...LOL. I'm going to finish it today and wash it tonight. She gets it tomorrow. She'll be surprised...LOL...that she got it.

Cindy, glad you're sticking around to run things!!!! You keep us all positive and focused. I always enjoy reading all the posts here about everybody and what they're up to, their successes, struggles, how they overcome things. They help me a lot, puts things in focus for me. Keep up the good work!!!!
    The trouble with Trouble is.....It usually starts out like fun!!

www.countryhousequilting.blogspot.com

As the holiday season is upon us, we need to remember how hard we have worked at taking on the weight we have lost.

First, lets remember the little things we have learned along the way.........some of the things that come to my mind are :

eating on the smaller plates
    watching the portion size
    watch the amount of white foods we eat........look at what we can replace it with
    go for the veggies that are not loaded with all the bad stuff...LOL

We also need to remember our excerising, no matter how little or much we do.

Make wise choices and you will be successful.

My biggest challenge will be the cookies that I make........have some Almond Spritz cookies. It is hard but I will succeed in my efforts.

I think one of the things that will help me is that my son and DIL will not be coming for the holiday. He doesn't have enough vacation time. I wish he did.
    Last edited by createfourpaws; 11-04-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Irish..........stop putting this off........get yourself taken care of. You need to take care of yourself first. Don't worry about the way the house looks.

SNS- it is all good. I will not hesitate in the future to ask for some help.

Susanna10 - welcome to the group. we have lots of fun and encourage one another all the time. Share anything you want.......projects you are working on, challenges with your weight loss, etc

Speaking of Halloween candy, we had 10 pieces left after all the kids came by. Had 300 pieces and each child only got 1 piece this year as funds for us here were very tight. Bought half as much as in years past with the same amount of kids coming by. WOW

Well today I am getting some food made up for my work week. I have to get use to working 5 days aweek instead of the 3 I did when I was in the hospitals. My hours are 9-6 CST.....working for a portable oxygen company.......and by the time I get home it is later than I like to eat my big meal of the day. SO I want to make my lunch the biggest meal of the day, with out spending lots of money each day. Today I have chicken breast in the crock pot, will make some chicken salad........and have the chicken packaged in portion sizes and make some side items. This is what was in the freezer......so I may be chickened out soon. I know mom made spagetti this weekend so I will probable take that on monday with a mid size salad and no bread.

Have a wonderful and blessed day...........I am also gonna try to work on a Tshirt quilt I need to get done.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

I am in for November. I was gone for almost a week and didn't have internet access. Will catch up later. I am off to put together the crib for grand baby #1.

Blog Entries
    hello all. halloween candy????? sure..... mine is gone. i only had like 5 pieces in the house, and i ate it all one day......so, now it's gone. tootsie rolls and l twix bar. all minatures. i know, they were good. the only candy i have had in months. we don't get tricker-treaters out in the boonies, but did go to a local halloween parade, and helped a 3 yr old grandson, pick up candy that was thrown to us spectators. all of it made it into his pail, but the 5 pices i took for 'taxes'.
    welcome, newbees. friendly lot here. and lots of wt getting lost as well.
    off to a funeral today. gotta make good choices at the dinner.

Blog Entries
    I am not dragging my feet, believe me. I went from the doctor's office to the hospital for blood work and will have the MRI as soon as Priority approves it. I went to my local hospital to look at the new machine, but the MRI techs weren't there so it was locked. I will call in the morning and go see it. If I can make myself do a semi closed machine, it would be easier for my family than traveling to an open one. I plan on proving on the doctor wrong, but if I have it, I will do what needs to be done short of hospitalization.

In the meantime, I will clean house, make the Spicy Spiral I cut out wrong, walk the dogs and not eat all the chocolate in the house and, of course , pray and treat my body in a healthy way. Sounds like a day's work, so I'll see you later.

Irish.......sorry to assume you were dragging your feet on the MRI.......and yes I understand about feeling closed in on the MRI. I know my mom couldn't do a traditional MRI machine but she was able to do the Open MRI.

I love the Spicy Spiral......do you know where I can find the pattern for it? I haven't seen it locally.

I have been cooking some chicken and thin pork chops. I think I am gonna make me some fried brown rice with pork and chicken for this week. One nice thing is that work is starting a new program next year for healthy living .....focusing on weight and a healthy lifestyle.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

I also forgot........I am working on my grocery list for when I get some money.....lol so I can plan for a healthy and wiser choices when I am making my meals since I only have me to worry about.

I have been drinking too much soda since I started back to work, need to take my decaf tea and water with me to stay away from the sodas.

Keep up your hard work and remember you are in control of what you eat and drink.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    Sorry Irish the way I understood your post it sounded like you were trying to hide from the doctors. Glad you are getting it looked in to. I am not claustrophobic but a closed MRI gave me the creeps. I felt a little panicky. I had to force myself to close my eyes and tell myself it was OK. I was still nervous. I had to keep telling myself I could get out any time I wanted with a push of the button. I would prefer to not do that again. I will be praying for a good report for you. Good luck.
    We are having fish for dinner. My Dh is trying to convince me it should be deep fried. No way. I plan on doing it on the grill. He is having cod and my DS and I are having salmon. Yum. Probably broccoli or zucchini with it. Maybe some spinach.I need to decide soon I need to start cooking soon.
    Good Luck Irish.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    irish, my hospital let me put a wet washcloth on my forehead, and over my eyes once. maybe they will give you something to relax you. ask your dr. good luck.

Blog Entries
    My primary care physician will give me Valium as long as I promise to have a driver and he's the one that recommends I use the open machine in Traverse City. I talked to my friend Saturday and he can take me anytime as long as we use my car - his son has his a couple of days a week. I didn't tell him why I need to go to TC and need a driver. I'd rather not alarm too many people until I have a positive diagnosis. I had a MRI there a year and half ago and survived it. The techs were very considerate. I had trouble breathing twice, but convinced myself if I stopped the procedure, I'd just have to start over, so I made it. My reward was diner at a nice restaurant followed by a trip to JoAnn's. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I haven't done much. My sunshine went away and my ambition with it.

Congrats to the oct winner!
    Meanmom, I love your star quilt. Wow!
    Irish, praying that all goes well with your testing.
    I had such a good time in Houston. The quilts were amazing. Over 1000 vendors. Boy, did I have fun! We did a lot of walking but not near enough to make up for the wonderful food.
    My tile guy is supposed to come in the morning to work on my kitchen backsplash. Lots to do to get things put away before then.
    Have a good week, all.

Blog Entries
    The MRI is this afternoon at 5:00. Is that soon enough for y'all? Those of you who are inclined to pray, please do. With claustrophobia, this is not my idea of fun. I have a 50 mile drive to worry - it's a good thing I'm not a worrier and my friend is very calm. I forgot to ask him if he can drive after dark since his cataract surgery. Oh, well, I will be able to drive if he can't because my body will assimilate the Valium very quickly. I wish I had known yesterday that it would be this soon. Oh, well, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Eat clean, drink lots of water and move your body.

Blog Entries
    received my pretty FQ's for sept biggest loser. thank you every one. thx cindy

Blog Entries
    Praying for you Irish. I usually figure the sooner I can get it done the less time I have to think about it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Trying to eat clean and drink lots of water. I am off of work tomorrow for election day. WOO HOO!

TabooTuesday ( a few hours early)
    Green lettuce is a common staple among salad eaters, and contains relatively high quantities of essential vitamins. Unlike some foods, green lettuce is considerably low in calories -- averaging only seven per cup -- making it a boon for individuals looking to shed weight. While all four types of green lettuce are considered a healthy addition to your diet, romaine lettuce is considered the most nutritious.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...#ixzz2BOZwiL3c

The taboo is regular green lettuce - change it out for romaine.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Blog Entries
    The MRI went well. It's amazing what the power of prayer and a Valium can do. I even fell asleep for a few minutes. No sleeping through the second part. I was injected with a contrast dye and the table shook/vibrated periodically. The Dr asked that I call him the minute the MRI was done, but it was after hours, so I'll do it in the morning.

I can do that taboo - I like Romaine and darker lettuces, plus I have some new dressing. It was sold as spinach salad dressing, but I bet it will be good on any flavorful lettuce. But then I like iceberg, too.

I have a feeling I'm going to bed early. I'm sleepy.

Junior Member CountryHouseQuilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    YEAH!!!! I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it!!!! I got my FQ's today for my October win!!!!! Love them all. My daughter thought I was a nut, dancing around the kitchen and touching them all, going oooooo & aaaaaahhhhh. She doesn't understand. DH did, he walked out of the room....I believe he was mumbling..."go sew". LOL. Thank you ladies!!!! The fabrics are wonderful, and the support you give is even better!!!!!

Well, off to bed for me. Doc in the am. See what he has to say about my gallbladder. It was giving me a bit of a fit tonight, but I muttled through. Hoping I can get this done between the holidays. I'll let you know what he says.

Again.....THANK YOU!!!!!!
    The trouble with Trouble is.....It usually starts out like fun!!

www.countryhousequilting.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast