Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2012 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Pat, We always found that school employees were immune after the first year. The poor newbies caught everything the kids brought in. I guess you're taking tomorrow off if you're talking lunch. Good. Use up some of those sick days, but save some. We could only stockpile 90, but that was more than enough - the most I ever needed at a time was 20. After that the school bought them with an annuity. Then they bought my 90 days at 65% of my current rate of pay when I retired. I bought a car - not new, but very nice.

I'm still here. The young doctor I talked to this morning feels that I may well have already had meningitis, but not a bad case based on my symptoms and timing. He said the only way to be sure is the two blood tests and a spinal tap. That's not going to happen. Blood tests are fine, but no spinal tap. The news today is that because fungal meningitis is slower growing than bacterial the incubation will be extended to several months. Grrr. I feel for the people who had the injection more recently and are worriers, which I am not.

I don't like the backing I bought for the quilt, but it's what a have so I will use it. It's in the washer now, so I'd better go put the borders on the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I am off tomorrow it is a waiver day. They have a new teacher evaluation system in Ohio that requires 4 days of training. They gave the schools 4 extra days for this. Since I am an aide I don't have to go. We were given the option of coming in to do busy work(scrub things, paint etc) or takethe day without pay. Duh day off for this girl. I have 154 accumulated sick days. I think the maximum I am allowed at retirement is 100. Any extra are lost. I have quite a ways to retirement, I am 55.
    I forgot to say. I ran into one of our parents as I came out of the office today. She told me how good I am looking and how much weight I have lost:-) I am down a total of 48 pounds.

Blog Entries
    my 6th yr teacher/daughter is not immune. she still catches crap. but part of that is/was she wasn't used to all the plants, flowers, bushes, etc. in the new state.
    congrats m'mom. on 48 lbs so far. would like to lose that much. this week has been tough, but, 'one day at a time'
    and today was a good day.
    judy, got my fingers crossed for you.
    everyone get their pap smears done. even as you age. heard bad news about an extended family member today. don't know the full details yet. but the big C was mentioned/ or hinted at. even after a hysterec.
    got to sew a little today. between chores, appts, and babysitting after school. we have strep throat on the run, getting better. decided after letting a quilt age for a couple days, that i might like it after all. so worked on putting the top together a little more. eat smart these last few days this week.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about you, but I do my best thinking in the night. The illness I had in Sept was caused by a reaction to wasp spray - I know I am allergic to the environment, but forgot in my zeal to eliminate a nest of yellow jackets. That means I am not out of the woods on the meningitis. All I can do is pray, take my supplements, get lots of rest and not worry. I rarely have a headache so that will be my indication to worry. The doctor said I will have 'the worst headache in the world' which I haven't had. The sad thing is I didn't want to go to the pain clinic. I'm not a fan of steroids, but my insurance company wouldn't let me see the surgeon for my SI joints unless the referral came from a pain clinic and the joints had been filled with cortisone. $700 worth of unnecessary injections and now this. Thanks, Priority.

On the road today. Taking an old friend on a road trip for his birthday, though I doubt if there are many leaves left on the trees after the rains and winds we've had. We'll try the peninsulas around Traverse. The climate is a little more temperate around the lakes and there may have more color left. Also need to drop my vacuum in TC. My new vacuum broke and Traverse City is the nearest repair place. I complained to the service department about it costing me money to take it there, but no luck.

My eating was off yesterday because I don't eat right when I'm busy. Today won't be much better. I hope some of the little touristy restaurants on the peninsula are still open. I'm tired of chain restaurants. First I have to deliver a cake to the church. Fresh apple with browned butter/cream cheese frosting. I could have eaten the whole pan of frosting - the taste is fantastic. Then I have to deliver a friend home from dialysis. She is such a sweet person, it's a pleasure to spend time with her once a week. Six of us transport her so she won't have use public transportation.

Y'all have a great day and remember this week's question - Is this food worth it? If it is, eat a small amount with great attention to what you're doing. If I could have wheat, this cake would be splurge worthy. No mindless eating - ah, there's a Tuesday Taboo in the making.

I am losing weight and getting healthier.
    Judy

I have done a fractured quilt, I have a book on it and will see if I can find it for you to give you an idea of what you need. I had fun making the fracture, made a small one and there is even a mistake in it. I haven't finished the binding on it, will find and take a picture. it was a fun class to do. I will do one again. I used a large peacock print.

Quote Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
    Pam, glad to hear you had a good time on retreat. They discussed ours at quilt guild last night. It isn't until late March. It is amazing how tiring eating and sewing can be isn't it. They showed some samples of a few of the classes they will have on my retreat. There is one on a fractured quilt. It looked pretty interesting. Their sample wasn't a good example though. I am planning on going to Fabric Shack on Friday. Fabric Shack has a really good variety of fabric. I was there a couple of months ago and got some Paula Nadelstern fabric and wish I had purchased other colors. Hope they still have it. I sure wish they had given more info on supplies I need for it. I know I need a panel or really large design. But they didn't say how many or anything. I have seen a fractured design where you cut up 4 of the same designs. Not sure if this was the same technique or not.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    We went to Fabric Shack. I did get the fabric I went there for. There was nothing else that just had to go home with me. I did buy some Yo Gabba Gabba fabric my grandson told me he needed. He is 2 and so cute. I am going to make him some PJ's. Cindy. I was thinking i might want some peacock fabric for my fractured quilt. I have plenty of time to look around. I was in Pier I today and they had a beautiful Peacock plate I resisted buying. We went out to lunch and I was really, really bad. So I will just have some green beans for dinner. Off to chase my grandson who is hissing and growling at my poor cat.

Well I am still waitng to hear about the job. I called them this afternoon to see where things stand. They are still waiting on the background check. I inquired about a drug test, since most companies do them, he stated they dont do drug testing. I was shocked. But that is all good, I dont take anything that would be a problem. LOL He said it should be back Monday or Tuesday. He also said I would start on the 25th, and the first 2 days would be all HR related stuff. Then on the 29th I would start my training with the respiratory manager.

Sorry to ramble....this is the only place i am posting about the job, not on my Facebook......keeping it abit on the quiet side.

I have received FQ's from everose, tildemae and one other and I cant find where I put it. OOPs sorry.

Keep up all your hard work and determination to lose all the weight you want to. Remember your water, veggies and protein.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

"My day is not complete until I play with fabric in some manner......whether be sewing, cutting or just fondling for a new project."

Blog Entries
    Name:  002.JPG
Views: 76
Size:  609.4 KBI finished it!!! This UFO has been sitting in my house a long, long time, but didn't have a person/persons in mind to gift it to so I wasn't concerned. I finished it today and it will find a new home in CA tomorrow night. Loved how it turned out and now wish I would keep it, but it's going to a wonderful couple.

Eating has been horrible today. Yesterday, I was Mom's sister again and then heard that Dad has went from mild to WILD - his dementia/Alzheimer's is getting worse. If he doesn't stop interferring in another person's life, they will ask him to leave the assisted living unit. I think he's waiting for them to do it - of course, it won't be his fault - it will be theirs. To much to handle, so I'm eating my way through it, which is only hurting me.

Judy, I had West Nile and it turned into men. Nasty stuff. 700+ had it that year in ND and some are still affected by it and some passed away. Lived in the darkest part of basement for 2 months. So please take care of yourself.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the LIFE, in your years. (Abe Lincoln)

"The Best" The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart. (Helen Keller)

Blog Entries
    Di, that's a lovely quilt and it's a nice feeling to finish a UFO. I hope I have a red, black and white quilt in my future.

Gee, remember I said no mindless eating today. I have eaten everything but the kitchen sink since I came in from Traverse City. Stress overeating is so pointless, but we still do it. Does the facility your dad is in have a dementia wing? That seems to be becoming more common. I am very tired. Probably the best thing to do is take care of the dogs and go to bed. I did say I would be sure to get my rest.

Cindy, it's so hard to wait. I wish more of new members would post here. What we are feeling and doing affects our weight control. Please, if you're lurking, join in.

Better late than never - here's October's list:
    createfour paws
    Irishrose
    Jim's Gem
    lauriejo
    SewNso
    quiltingcrazy
    CountryHouseQuilter
    meanmom
    whateverslovely
    tildiemae
    Pam H
    Vanogray
    Everose
    blondeslave
    frustrated quilter 40
    quilthappygail

If I missed anyone, my apologies and let me know. 4 yards of green fabric won't be hard to take.
    Good night.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    This week has not went well has been a bad week eat everything that wasn't glued down...LOL... Maybe next week will be better try to get back on track or else for sure "irishrose" will get my fat quarter's.
    ​Christine

Well, my name's on the list, I mailed my FQs, so all I have to do now is lose weight, right? Someone please tell my body that. I do watch what I eat, I do drink lots of water and I do exercise (have this stupid broken arm to prove that) - so why aren't more pounds coming off? Since I joined the group, only 4 or 5 pounds total. What am I doing wrong? I thought doing the Taboo Tuesdays would light a spark - so far - not. Time to get my brain in gear? Or what?
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

I mailed my Fat's for the next 4 months. I'm committed (should be). Going to see Gastro Doc on Tuesday. Hoping to find out why I'm having all these issues. I'm thinking it's time the old Gall Bladder comes out, but we'll see what he has to say. Whatever, I'm hoping he can make some of my issues go away. It's becoming annoying. I don't like feeling like this.

And on a better note, I'm leaving Thursday for a Quilting Retreat at the Beach. There are 7 of us going from our group. We're all soooooo excited to get away and have some fun!!!! Well, need to run. I have to get some things cut for our projects so I'll be ready. Later ladies!!!!

Oh, Everose - love the quilt!!!!!!! Awesome job and great colors!!!!!
    Amy
    Country House Quilting
    www.countryhousequilting.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Kathleen, we don't spend a lot of time posting numbers unless a member wants to - it's certainly allowed, so I don't know your weight, but it seems to me those of us with less to lose drop it more slowly. You say 'only' five pounds, but that's five pounds less than you carried around previously. Next time you go to the store, pick up five pounds of butter or lard. That's what you've lost and I say good for you.

Jumpstarters? Lemon water. Lemon water with various add ins - mint leaves, cucumbers, cayenne pepper powder, ginger. All have worked for me at some time. My daughter swears by the new green coffee pills and they seem to be harmless. Because she inherited several of my heart defects and has had a cardiac arrest due to arrhythmias I check everything she finds carefully. I know she's a grown woman, but she's still my daughter. So far the cinnamon and honey hasn't done much for me weight wise, but there enough other benefits listed in Pam's post that I will keep it going. Real apple cider vinegar is supposed to help, but it hasn't for me. Google it and see what you think. I do drink it with a straw when I take it for my muscle spasms. Something in my memory bank says it's not good for the enamel on my teeth. One of the benefits of any of these for me is that it is a reminder to stay with my eating plan.

Has anyone tried myfitnesspal lately? Several 'old' members had success using it. I do like the site, I'm just lazy about recording my food, exercise and water. Just checking in here helps me stay on track, too. Thanks, y'all.

I am losing weight.
    Judy

BTW, I am never a threat for the FQs. I am here for the support, not the fabric. I can't lose enough to win, but that's okay.

Irish, hadn't thought about the 5# of lard, you're right - that is good. I guess I try to fool myself and say if I watch, the weight will just come off easily - but I really worked at packing it on - enjoyed it, too. Now I need to be consistent about losing it. Have the honey and cinnamon, trying that, can't lose anything by trying. Thanks for the pick me up!
    Kathleen

Well so far so good. I have been more aware of what I am putting in my mouth. I've been told that if you do something for 21 days it will become a habit. I hope this works the opposite way also . . . not putting calories in my mouth just because it "looks" good or "smells" good! As of today it is 13 days . . . only 8 to go to see if I have been succeeded in making a new good habit of thinking first and eating second. Does any of this make sense to anyone but me? Good Luck my fellow contestants.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to butt in- I am not a member of this club, but I have been losing weight so I have something to say.

Here is my tip- don't eat anything for breakfast that has sugar in it. You are only fooling yourself if you think it is good because it is low in fat. Eat sugar for breakfast and you set yourself up for a day of downs and ups on your blood sugar, and make it really hard to lose any weight. It is really hard to give up, but once you break the addiction, you don't have to live with it any more. Do yourself a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
    I see you all talking about baking and being gluten free. I am including a reciepe I found on FB, at you can put just about anything in it you like. I copies the reciepe then copied some of the comments that was posted about it for my reference. I haven't tried them yet because I don't have all the ingredients but it looks very good.

The most awesome breakfast cookie ever - and no flour, no sugar, no dairy.

1.5 cups of oats,
    2-3 super ripened bananas
    ,1 cup of unsweetened applesauce,
    Add walnuts, pecans, splash of almond,
    a handful of craisins,
    and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
    Just throw everything together, mix it up pretty well, throw it on a baking sheet at 350 for about 35 minutes and then go to town! Great and

I added 1/4 cup flax seeds, 1 Tbls brown sugar, and added 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, and 1/2 cup of almond butter. They are very good!

For those who have asked, we use old fashioned, thick cut oats. Yes, they are drop cookies and yes, bake for 35 minutes. I don't think they are like granola, but not like other oatmeal cookies either. We have also added 1/2 cup peanut butter and mini dark chocolate chips, and we have also made them using raisins instead of craisins and adding chopped walnuts

You can use regular oats or quick..you can also add raisins craisins cranberries, whatever you want..I do one with 2 cups of oats and 8 ounces of applesauce or anything pureed as long as it's 8 ounces and skip the bananas and it makes healthy pet cookies too

oh, so yummy! I make these OFTEN.. almost every week. these make a great breakfast on the go! my recipe is a bit different: 2 cups quick oatmeal, and 1/2 c applesauce, and add 1/4 c milk. but the rest of the recipe is same as yours. AND I always add some chopped nuts (for some protein) and many times i add a few mini chocolate chips - for my chocolate fix! : )
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    noveltyjunkie, you can join at any time. The FQ challenge has to be signed up by the 4th, but you are free to join us now, you just won't be eligible to win FQs this month. So, are you saying Cindy's cookie has too much sugar for morning? I don't think so. For me, when I am in weight loss mode, I can have carbs, including some sugar, before noon. After that it's no carbs, again, sugar included. Protein and non starchy veggies is it. Tough at first, but it gets easier, especially when you see the pounds leave.

21 days?? makes sense to me.

4 hours on my feet to do the father son banquet was a lot. I only walked the dogs about a mile after I got home. That was enough. It was snowing lightly when we left, but it turned to heavy rain so we came home.

Now I need to bake cookies for tomorrow. I'm thinking the chocolate chip recipe with white chocolate chunks, craisins and pecans.

I'm going to take my quilt apart tonight. I don't like the border. It's a donation quilt, for heaven's sake. Stop obsessing, Judy! Did I ever tell you I am a perfectionist?

I just made a cup of decaffeinated vanilla caramel tea. I hope it's as good as the name sounds. I need a calorie free sweet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Irish. We'll agree to disagree on this one, but if you are not upsetting your blood sugar, why do you feel you 'need' something sweet?!!

Blog Entries
    I like those breakfast cookies. I sometimes throw one in my lunchbox for a midmorning snack or my after school snack. I like to add all kinds of different add ins. I usually chop up the raisins and craisins so they are in every bite. I add in whatever looks interesting that day. I have found that the less sweets I eat the less I seem to crave them. I have cut way back on my sweets and hardly miss them. I do still occasionally crave chocolate on a particularly bad day but I don't need much. I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday and I only ate a little bit of the dough. Raw cookie dough is the best much better than cooked cookies. I now raw eggs are supposed to be bad for me but I have done it for years. My DH is sitting here eating the cookies for breakfast and it doesn't even make me want one.
    Other than my Friday lunch I have been doing pretty good this month. Another group I am with says you need to eat right 80% of the time and the other 20% you can cheat a little. You need the occasional cheat or you will feel too deprived and never stay on your eating plan. I have been doing well with this theory. I don't deprive myself, but I don't go nuts either.

Blog Entries
    meanmom, I think we covered cheat days in July and August. If you don't have a cheat day, your body goes into starvation mode and needs fewer calories so it defeats the purpose of reducing calories. A weekly cheat day convinces my body that I am not starving and can safely cut calories the other six days. It doesn't mean a binge - just 1800 - 2000 calories if you are eating 1400.

Sugar (in moderation) is not my enemy. I do not have any blood sugar problems. Chemicals (MSG and Nutrasweet especially) and gluten are my enemies. I would bloat up and gain weight with any of those, in addition to many other problems. The first step to good health is to know your own body. Right now mine is saying it needs a nap.

noveltyjunkie, the cookies I 'needed' weren't for me. Some were for a funeral luncheon this afternoon and some for a hymn sing tonight. I ate cheese, grapes and apple slices at the luncheon. Then chicken and olives when I came home so I really need some vegetables next.

Have a good evening. I am going to get wet walking the dogs, but they need to get out.

Blog Entries
    irish. i don't really call it a cheat day, but i guess that's what it is. i have found that i can be extra good, and not eat so much, but then other days, my body seems to say 'feed me more'. so maybe more protein, veg's, grains or etc. on that day.
    i see those breakfast cookies seem to only contain good things in them, but for me, i think it would work, if i could maybe use only the allowance of ingredients i would normally allow my self for breakfast. so maybe that would be l c. oatmeal, and the equev. of l fruit, etc. lst week this month, i didn't lose. 2nd week better. been putting cinim. in my oatmeal. tastes super good. think i can keep on track for a while. always in danger of blowing it all.

I know a lot of you have been talking about okra........i dont eat it but I saw this recipe on facebook so I thought I would share

ROASTED OKRA: eliminate the slime! Toss with a bit of coconut oil; dust with a mix of sea salt, chili powder, cumin powder and coriander. Roast at 425 degrees until tender. Too good! Okra is a neglected superfood.

Enjoy.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Finally got the offical word. I start work on the 25th of October. I am so ready to go back to work. I signed my offer letter today.
    Cindy R in Dallas, TX

Blog Entries
    How wonderful, Cindy! What are going to do with the remainder of your 'free' time? How fortunate you have been to find a job in your field.

It's officially Tuesday. I wonder what this week's taboo will be. I should be in bed. I have to make a trip tomorrow and if the sun should happen to shine, I''ll get sleepy in the afternoon. One more border on the quilt and I am not taking it apart again.

I didn't get get much exercise today. Lily's Flexilead broke so I couldn't walk the dogs. I took them to an out of use baseball diamond and let them run, but I just roamed around - not walking with intent. The police hang out there watching for speeders. I was waiting for one to come by to see what I was doing. That's why I need to go out of town tomorrow. I can't get a long Flexi locally and I can't wait for mail order. 100 mi round trip, but there's getting around it.

Ate carefully today. I'm trying to cut out sugar until this meningitis thing is over as fungus feeds on sugars. Tough for me, but becoming ill would be tougher. I wish the incubation period hadn't been extended. There is a person here from my clinic who has meningitis now. The Doctors' Show is doing a segment on it tomorrow, but I won't be home.

Off to put that border on so I can go to bed as soon as my good clothes are out of the dryer. G'Night.

Taboo Tuesday. Well, not specifically because of you Irish, bou it won't hurt. There's been lots of banting about of suger vs no sugar - you get the drift. Well this week, we're focusing on foods that convert to sugars almost as soon as you chew. This is based on the precepts found in a book - "Sugar Busters" by Drs. M. Bethea, S Andrews, L Balart and Mr. H Steward. Lots of interesting reading there about preconceived eating habits. A list of foods to avoid this week follow - avoid any of them, or all of them, as you choose.
    No-Nos this week: potatoes (red or white); white rice; corn (including popcorn, cornbread and meals); carrots; beets; white bread.
    Kathleen

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast