Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ok you computer people! Question...

Blog Entries
    is it possible to get/buy just the laptop without anything in or on it?
    i mean,i need the shell and transfer my laptop innerds nd program ?

my screen is gonna fall off soon =:0
    and the "a" either typesss out none or dozen
    aaand the "s" is going too!

i am tired of typing wrong passwords nd back spcing to get rid of the extr a's

There are places that can transfer your informaition to your new pc. You'd need to check where you purchase your pc as to what comes loaded on it. Most have something loaded on them

Check at an Apple store. I believe you can transfer everything with them if you buy a new computer. Or get a time machine and back up everything and then transfer what you need. Think you can do it with PC's also. Might need a tech person to do it for you.

Blog Entries
    it is a PC...i just need the shell of a laptop.

it is a dell E1505

Blog Entries
    There are lots of places that build computers from the ground up. Google it for your area or check at a computer repair store, Not a big box store like Best Buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
    There are lots of places that build computers from the ground up. Google it for your area or check at a computer repair store, Not a big box store like Best Buy.
    thanks! i found "micro-center" in michigan. they sell bare bones PC's, will call them tomorrow on the laptop..

i feel ur pain.my spacebar doesnt work half the time.

Try ebay. People often part out laptops. You may find a shell there that will fit.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
    i feel ur pain.my spacebar doesnt work half the time.
    micro center is in madison heights..
    75 and 14 mile i think.

Even Best Buy can sell you a computer with no software on it. You just have to ask them to uninstall what's on the one you want to buy.

Blog Entries
    Hi, Kim, I have the Dell 1505. Why don't you call Dell and tell them that you just need a laptop with a screen/keyboard. not sure of your operating system but Dell doesn't support XP anymore but many times, they will have something in their refurbished dept. The least you might have to get is Windows OS.

Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    it is a PC...i just need the shell of a laptop.

it is a dell E1505

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just get an external hard drive, empty your laptop on that , and buy a new one...much easier...it is very difficult to BUILD a laptop. Especially if you have an older operating system...I got this info from my two techie sons....

I am doing through this right now for DH -- and I am not a novice having worked in the software industry for about 20 years.

Unfortunately, just copying everything from one computer to another is does not usually work. You can copy all of the files and data but you need to reinstall your programs using the original disks -- copying them does not work unless the ctwo computers are identical.

Nannamoms idea about contacting Dell to see if they have a refurbished computer like yours would be a good way to go --if you can get a good used laptop with XP that would be the best way to go, that way you can be sure the programs you have will run on the new computer.

I have some programs that ran on XP that work just fine on Windows 7, but I have had to replace other programs that were designed for Vista with newer versions.

PM me if you have questions and I will give you more information.

Blog Entries
    You can put a lot of it on letters to yourself with email. If you have several addresses, AOL allows several, that will jack up the storage space.

On the other hand, I'm sure that I can't upload those dozens and hundreds of patterns and pictures of lovely quilts I have on this computer.

Blog Entries
    Yes you can just buy the shell from any store.

I you are only have trouble with the keyboard on the laptop, you can go to dell.com and search laptop keyboard replacement. They would probably put it in for you. You would have to send the computer to them to repair it. My sons each have a dell inspiron 1505 and several thing have had to be repaired on theirs because of misuse. I had a dell repairman to the house a couple of times and they can take those laptops all apart an put the right back together again! I don't know it's just a thought...

Blog Entries
    you guys are awesome!
    i still have all the original programs to reinstall.
    after the holiday i will work on a cure! i will let you know, how it goes. i just don't want to buy a new computer,when this one is just fine...other than the keyboard..and screen hinge.

Computers come with basic operating systems and you install what you want onto them. The modern computers very easily transfer information from your old computer onto the new one either with the built - in transfer facility that they come with, or you can use a flash drive to transfer or connect with a cord to do it. However, you won't get one with absolutely nothing on it or it wouldn't work. That is unless you custom make it yourself, I suppose?I have Windows 7 and transferred some XP files onto an external drive in preference to putting them on the main computer and find that the Vista programs cause problems with compatibility at times. Good luck with your quest to find one, the Tech. guys should be able to help you out.

Ditto,
    That's why I now have an external drive that backs up everything. If my computer dies, I can restore everything to a new computer myself. PC's have continual updates & it is better to go with a new operating system that updates itself to avoid problems.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    just get an external hard drive, empty your laptop on that , and buy a new one...much easier...it is very difficult to BUILD a laptop. Especially if you have an older operating system...I got this info from my two techie sons....

Blog Entries
    i found a u-tube video bout cleaning the keys..

http://youtu.be/cAI_AG3gFMo

took off a couple and cleaned the lint,dog hair and no telling what else! but not much better..

My family is a "Mac" family. We have four of them I think. But when I purchased an embroidery machine it required windows to transfer designs. I purchased a refurbished Laptop from Amazon.com for $150.00.

You should be able to find instructions online to clean out the hard drive and restore with your information. Or take both computers to a repair shop, they could do it also.

Try eBay or Craigs List for the same model, then just remove the hard drive from yours and install it into the "new" one. There's just a couple of screws that hold it in place. PM me if you need help swapping the drives! I do Helpdesk work 8-5!!

Blog Entries
    Why not just replace your faulty keyboard and bad hinge on the one you have? Seems to me that would be less trouble and expense.

Have you tried a local computer shop to cutre those problems? Sticking keys, screen hinges, etc can often be solved by cleaning and repair and that saves a ton of aggravation with trying to reinstall programs, etc.

you can but here is what I'm going to tell you... I'm an IT tech & dell certified. so you can get just the shell and move over the other parts of your laptop, however... It takes on minimum an hour to get to the motherboard to just take it out. and make sure you map out where everything came from. then you have to clean off the insulators from the chip and redo everything and if you ahve the slightest electrostatic charge you could fry the motherboard. not to mention the other boards in there.

I wouldn't recommend it. but if you want to just fix your laptop it would be alot easier to just get a new keyboard and a new monitor then you don't have to open the bottom up at all. that is an easy fix.

*** in addition, that laptop appears to an older model from 2006 you may want to look at getting a newer one as eventually there won't be any updates for your machine and that can cause you alot of headaches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast