Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old man cat dilemna

My old man cat 18 1/2 yrs is going completely deaf. He used to meow nicely for my attention. His eyesite is going a bit too so he gets lost at night. I leave house lights on for the cat. He purrs when he is pet. That said.. at least 3-5 times per night when your really sleeping he makes a noise JUST like the one in this video and I live in an apartment. Any ideas on what to do besides duct tape his mouth? I am going nuts and am sure my neighbors are too. This is getting worse not better and started 7 months ago.

turn up your volumne, close your eyes and imagine this to wake up to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Oyx...EC6E9D&index=0

Wish I could help with what to do - but I have a 14 year old cat that does the same thing. Whenever she thinks she is alone she yowls until you call her. Her eyesight is going, too. There is such a thing as feline Alzheimer. He may be getting that. I just hope my family is as patient with me when I start randomly yelling!
    If you find any help - post it. I would like to know, too.

My female used to yowl like that when she came in heat. And I too lived in an apartment. The only thing that stopped her howling was to put cheap hand cream on my hands and rub her with it. She would be so busy cleaning herself that she would stop howling. I got her fixed as soon as I could. I was told this was not cruelty, but when I think back, I wonder.

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Omg, shemjo, I was just about to say the same thing. I have a siamese and she was fine when we got her and went it to heat two days later, what a racket! It was worse than what was just on the video, but an awful awful sound. We used to lock her up at night at the other end of the house and stuff towels in the crack under the door to muffle the noise, but we still didn't sleep for the 2 weeks it took for her vet appointment to come around. My poor neighbours were going crazy too :(

Dial-up, so I can't watch videos. My cat has a seizure disorder, and when she has a bad one, she will yowl and send me running to her side. They pass in short order, and are nearly 100% controlled with meds. Have you talked to your vet about this?

Animals who are living in the same place adjust to blindness as their vision fails. I would not neccessarily make a cause-effect leap between the two. Seven months is a long time for a symptom to last without being evaluated.

Sounds just like my cat, Sarah. She is 8 and much louder than the cat in the video. However, she screams just to be awnry. Whenever someone calls my house they think I am beating a child, I have to tell them that it's just my cat wanting attention.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Linda, I've had cats do this. I think what is happening is that because your cat is elderly, and has both vision and hearing problems, that he is either getting disoriented at times, and/or having some separation anxiety, so he is "calling" for you. And just like deaf people who talk too loudly, he is meowing louder. Your are right to have some lights on, especially near his litter box and food. Is he squalling when he is in another part of the house? And is it dark between where he is and where you are?

I would take him to your vet and make sure that he doesn't have a treatable medical condition. If he doesn't, there are some mild anti-anxiety meds that your vet might try, including prozac (yes, cats can need prozac too! Ask me how I know :roll: )

Good luck. Just realize that it's as hard on him as it is on you.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
    Omg, shemjo, I was just about to say the same thing. I have a siamese and she was fine when we got her and went it to heat two days later, what a racket! It was worse than what was just on the video, but an awful awful sound. We used to lock her up at night at the other end of the house and stuff towels in the crack under the door to muffle the noise, but we still didn't sleep for the 2 weeks it took for her vet appointment to come around. My poor neighbours were going crazy too :(
    Mel, it seems you found out the hard way that cats that come into heat don't go out until they are either bred or fixed. And a cat in heat is MISERABLE! That is why we get ours fixed as early as possible. Been there, not doing it again! LOL

Well our siamese is a rescue. We planned on getting her fixed before we even brought her home, but didn't know it was going to be urgent. I called every vet around and the earliest appointment they were willing to give me was 3 weeks later. I finally brought her to a vet an hour away because he was able to take her a full week before the others could. I live in Montreal, there is no shortage of vets, lol, but I was so desperate I was not willing to wait. I was *this* close to letting her go outside and have her way with the neighbours cat, just so she would shut the heck up, but I know she could have gotten a disease or something bad...

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Mel, it seems you found out the hard way that cats that come into heat don't go out until they are either bred or fixed. And a cat in heat is MISERABLE! That is why we get ours fixed as early as possible. Been there, not doing it again! LOL
    You think the cat was miserable? I was 10 times more miserable, I can guarantee it! Plus, I'm not even joking about no sleep for two weeks, she didn't shut up for more than 17 seconds at a time. Have you ever heard a siamese cat in heat? I was really hoping she would get laryngitis... ok that's mean, but it's the truth!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    MYou think the cat was miserable? I was 10 times more miserable, I can guarantee it! Plus, I'm not even joking about no sleep for two weeks, she didn't shut up for more than 17 seconds at a time. Have you ever heard a siamese cat in heat? I was really hoping she would get laryngitis... ok that's mean, but it's the truth!

The last time we had a cat in heat, she was so miserable that I actually, um, rubbed her with a q-tip. It would work for an hour or two. :shock: :shock:

Oh my!!!

We've only once had a female, guess I was lucky to have had her fixed before being in heat was an issue. I grew up on a farm, though, and agree that a cat in heat makes some awful noises!

Now we only have Six (Fr. for six - he has six toes on all his feet, dd was taking French when we got him). AKA sixie, pink-nose, buddy, baby... You get the idea. He's my pal, he does not know he is a cat.

That you-tube video makes me laugh. My old girl siamese cat will be 19 years old in a couple of weeks. She is going deaf. Arthritis in hind legs. She can't walk on the tile because it looks like she's on ice - with legs going out from under her. She's happy, purrs, loves attention, patient. But in the AM she yeows. If I don't feed her by 7:30, she won't let me sleep. It's LOUD. We wondered if it's because she can't hear herself. So at least I know that Bun isn't the only ole' kitty that is vocal.

I am a kitty rescue!! Yes the vet said senality she is fine otherwise. And anxiety meds dont work he is just.. lost. And I have found him yelping like that at walls to have me wave my hand in his face and he will trot like oh there you are! and he yelps to go out which he doesnt like to do anymore.. open the slider he takes one step out and turns around. Or if I leave the slider open for him he will yell til you show him its open, step outside sit down and yell like you closed it. Have to pull him back in. GRRR. I love him so much but this is taking its tole on me. I was hoping someone had a grand idea like.. play Brittney spears over and over and they get silent. No such luck. Probably because no one owns her music. It might make him howl worse! nope. I played the video for him on loud he was napping on top of hte computer didnt even bat an eye. He has to get his rest. Gotta be up all night. Thanks for the replies however. And no there is no comfort knowing others are stuck doing it too..

Blog Entries
    My female kitty was on my lap when I watched the video. It scared her and she was looking for the yowling kitty. I had a kitty that aged and at night she would yowl out the glass door. I had to buy her a collar and leash to take her out side for walks at 18. Sorry no advice but this thread was funny. Thanks for the laugh I needed it tonight.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    at least 3-5 times per night when your really sleeping he makes a noise

Well, it sounds like you are going through what new moms go through with babies at night. Since animals tend to curl up and go to sleep when it is completely dark, you might try kenneling him in a completely dark room when you go to bed. Of course, that means you'll have to get up as soon as it gets light and let him out, but it's worth a try. As long as he can go for several hours without soiling himself, that is.

There are meds for cats that can improve cognition. Here is a good reference article:

http://cat-care.suite101.com/article...ave_alzheimers

My heart aches for you, because I know that it's a matter of how long you can hang on. And no matter how or why, it's hard to lose one. Hugs to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    My female kitty was on my lap when I watched the video. It scared her and she was looking for the yowling kitty.
    Yeah, me too. Both cats were with me when I watched the video and they both about had a heart attacks! One of them was pawing at the speaker of my laptop, lol!

Oh, BTW, I feed my old kitty canned pumpkin with her canned food each morning (by 7:30, of course). It has helped her in lots of ways, and keeps her bowels regular. Both my cats love it! I would never have guessed that one!

He's wants attention. My cat does this ALL THE TIME! When I scratch her back or love on her she stops.

She wakes me up every morning, standing my me and yelling like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat
    My old man cat 18 1/2 yrs is going completely deaf. He used to meow nicely for my attention. His eyesite is going a bit too so he gets lost at night. I leave house lights on for the cat. He purrs when he is pet. That said.. at least 3-5 times per night when your really sleeping he makes a noise JUST like the one in this video and I live in an apartment. Any ideas on what to do besides duct tape his mouth? I am going nuts and am sure my neighbors are too. This is getting worse not better and started 7 months ago.

turn up your volumne, close your eyes and imagine this to wake up to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Oyx...EC6E9D&index=0
    Have you considered bringing him to bed with you? My Rudy cat (part Siamese) used to howl for me if he couldn't find me. Now he sleeps with me everynight in the crook of my arm; he stays all night. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    MYou think the cat was miserable? I was 10 times more miserable, I can guarantee it! Plus, I'm not even joking about no sleep for two weeks, she didn't shut up for more than 17 seconds at a time. Have you ever heard a siamese cat in heat? I was really hoping she would get laryngitis... ok that's mean, but it's the truth!

The last time we had a cat in heat, she was so miserable that I actually, um, rubbed her with a q-tip. It would work for an hour or two. :shock: :shock:
    I'm glad my cats are outside, all but one, my husband's cat.

Blog Entries
    Reggie did a little howling last night with his toy in his month. He just wanted to play. My DD's cat used to howl at night. They would have to get up and pet her so they could go back to sleep. Every night before they'd go to bed they would say to each other "Don't wake Sugar."

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Gramy
    My female kitty was on my lap when I watched the video. It scared her and she was looking for the yowling kitty. I had a kitty that aged and at night she would yowl out the glass door. I had to buy her a collar and leash to take her out side for walks at 18. Sorry no advice but this thread was funny. Thanks for the laugh I needed it tonight.
    OMG, my 2 cats heard the yowling and went on a search, too.

I had a cat live to almost 18years of age. I think he was deaf for a while and then I think he started losing his eyesight. He quit drinking out of his bowl of water until I gave him one that was large and square.

He sometimes walked around yelping until I went and stood by him. I think maybe he just couldn't hear or see anything and he was panicking.

This was my Cody before his health started failing.
    Name:  Attachment-61274.jpe
Views: 5
Size:  36.7 KB

That's the sound my cat made while dying. :0/

Blog Entries
    sounds just like my hubby and he's 84 yrs old!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast