Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Mink Stole

Thanks to all of you who answered my query. I was asking for my goddaughter who had her mother's old stole and wanted to know about making a teddy bear from it. I did some googling and found exactly what she was looking for, a gal who does just that with all the info including a price list.

Blog Entries
    I have had 3 fur coats given to me for this purpose and have yet to find a pattern, but have not looked hard - need to look online - and get serious one day - this winter will be a good time to work on something like that - not sure why I was chosen to be the gifted one to give these too... lol
    JO

Blog Entries

What to do with a fur Stole

Thanks for all the ideas. Some time ago an elderly lady gave me a mink coat..but for some strange
    reason she decided to keep the lining!!!! She said it was because it had her name in it. But the coat
    is lovely, thin and flexible, even as old as it is I think it'll make a lovely whatever. There's a lot of
    it, and I'm looking at putting it in a London Fog rain coat that has divorced it's liner, which went
    AWOL some years ago. No child ever remembered taking it camping or even seeing it.....

i'll probably enjoy the warmth of it when the rains start this fall.

Why just bears? Why not a bunny, hen, seal pup, or mice? Animal patterns abound. The fur can be snipped or shortened with hair clippers. The warmth of these furs is astounding. If it feels too P inC to wear openly imagine a fur-lined vest, a posh coat for a chihuahua or a hairless, hand warmers on a cord--fur side, inside, of course. If you enjoy Christmas decor, a really old time Santa or Beltsnickle figure dressed in fur is authentic.

My mother had a set of (hideous) mink skins with paws, claws and glass eyes. A furrier converted them into an attractive stole. My grandmother's black pony (that's what theytold me) jacket was remade into a cape with a high collar. I found it useful at halloween and eventually donated it to a theater group.

Blog Entries
    My MIL had a fur coat of some kind and turned it into a throw pillow for her couch. It looks very stylish in her home.

After my mom passed away, I had her mink stole made into two teddy bears. The lady even used the lining to make a bow and embroidered my moms name on it. I gave one to my sister and kept one for myself. It was a little pricey but worth every penny.
    Sewing mends the soul......
    www.sunflowermemoryquilts.com
    www.shlcreations.etsy.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2