Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Mink Stole

Old Mink Stole

Does anyone know what you can do with an old mink stole?

Power Poster
    A few years ago, in our area there was a class on turning a fur coat/stole into an heirloom teddy bear. You could ask at your LQS if they have nothing like that. I bet if you Googled it, you could find a tutorial on the net?

sell it on ebay, use $$ to buy fabric!!

Teddy Bears
    Ear Muffs
    Slippers
    Purse

...........send it to me??
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    A few years ago, in our area there was a class on turning a fur coat/stole into an heirloom teddy bear. You could ask at your LQS if they have nothing like that. I bet if you Googled it, you could find a tutorial on the net?
    That's what I did with one. It was really cute. I think you can use pretty much any simple teddy bear pattern.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Years ago I heard of a woman who made Barbie doll fur coats and made about 10x her investment!

I like the way a good looking winter suit is improved by adding a fur collar and cuffs. Also many a young granddaughter thinks she is very elegant with a fur collar on a cardigan or her dressy winter coat. Unfortunately, many of our granddaughters wear parkas for their dress coats now.

There a some on etsy.com made into fancy throw pillows. They get good prices for them and the fur is only on the top.

Years ago my mil had a stole restyled with a mandarin type collar, zip front and matching knitted sleeves. PM me and I will try to send you a picture of it, it is great as sort of casual dressy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookish One View Post
    Does anyone know what you can do with an old mink stole?
    I'm so glad you asked this since I have my mother's stole & don't know what to do with it. I'm having to thin things out around here but since her name is embroidered in it I just leave it in my closet for now. Hope great ideas come up.

I dunno, but you'll get lots of ideas here!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I have read that there are women who will make these into teddy bears for you, but it's really pricey. I asked someone how much and they said $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I'm so glad you asked this since I have my mother's stole & don't know what to do with it. I'm having to thin things out around here but since her name is embroidered in it I just leave it in my closet for now. Hope great ideas come up.
    I made my DD a pillow with her DGM's stole. I put fur on top and used that wonderful satin liner which in hers was a beautiful brown with her name embroidered in gold on the back. This was over 20 years ago and my DD still uses it. PS, I remember it was not fun to sew but can't remember how really bad it was so it must have not been horrible! LOL and reminiscing.

i got one from an elderly lady at church for making into teddy bears. just use a simple bear pattern. i have numerous if you decide you want to do that. PM me and i'll scan and e-mail one to you. Can have with or without joints. i make jointed bears for the most part. i give the mink and mohair bears to older kids/teens. Kids who will use them for decoration, and luck versus cuddling

There are folks who make bears from stoles, but they are not cheap!

Several years ago I made my mother's mink stole into a teddy bear for her. I used the initial part of the lining for one of the paws. She loved it and several of her friends wanted me to make one for them. I explained that I would charge about $500 for it. It was horrible to sew on since it was the color of our cat and doing hand stitching through the skin part made me ill. I'd never do it again. She has since passed on and passed it to me.

An antique doll person would love it for dressing a doll up!!

I'd have it cleaned and restored (if needed) by a furrier and wear it when I went out anywhere dressy or whenever I felt like it. My grandmother had a mink stole and hat but my sister got those and let them get ruined.

Blog Entries
    what a great idea. If you had brothers or sisters one could be made for them also and given as a gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post

Since I was always in warm weather I researched and had a lady close to Peterborough Ont. make me 2 teddy bears and 1 cat mousie toy from my fur coat. I hope to live long enough to make child quilts to go with the bears for any future great grandchildren. Collecting bear fabric now as grandchildren are only teens. These bears are not really toys but sure are beautiful. Other areas have similar sewers as we had a relative in New Brunswick do it years ago.

I made a Teady Bear for my daughter. THe coat was her grandmothers. Very hard to hand stitch. She loved it.

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine had her mother's fur coat made into teddybears one for each of her children...The woman I believed made this as a business and lived in Pennsylvania....maybe you could google it. She brought one in and it was just stunning. Good luck....Bea

Blog Entries
    My best friend had a little bear making business and I had a blonde mink stole from my grandmother - so she made me a teddy bear for myself and one for my sister - also, using the silk lining for the paws and inside of the ears - very special to me! The bear had movable joints too.
    Nikki in MO

I've just recently started researching this as well, for my mother's mink. It was given to me after mom's passing, some 20 years ago, and I have worn it every winter since. It's now come time to repurpose it and I have decided it will become 4 teddy bear keepsakes, one for each of my mom's (current) great grandkids. I'm hoping it's not as difficult a task to complete (working w/fur) and the kids will cherish something from their great grandmother. If anyone has pics of their fur creations, I'd love to see them, please.

You can also donate fur to help rehabilitate orphaned wildlife.
    http://www.wildliferescueleague.org/take_back_the_fur
    Pat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast