Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Old post about economical sewing >

Old post about economical sewing

Old post about economical sewing

Old 03-05-2018, 04:29 PM

Default Old post about economical sewing

Several years there was a thread about ways to quilt without spending very much money. I have searched for it, but can't find it. It branched off into knitting and crochet, but it was mostly about quilting. Any ideas how to find it or should we start a new one?
Old 03-05-2018, 09:28 PM
Power Poster

Start a new one. I'm sure there are lots of ideas here. I've read some of the threads on this topic when it's come up in the past, and it's always interesting.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I think the best way to quilt economically is to avoid the urge to build up a stash. I wish I had known that when I started, it's too late for me now.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I think the best way to quilt economically is to avoid the urge to build up a stash. I wish I had known that when I started, it's too late for me now.
Me too! (This year I'm on a strict "fabric buying" diet. )
Old 03-06-2018, 10:31 AM

I don't have a stash problem (that I will admit to) but I do like rulers and templates. Chose carefully and learn to use the markings rather than buy one for the convenience. I have a set of square rulers 1 inch through 12, which is silly really. Also, use neutral coloured threads for piecing. Get a big cone of bog standard quality. Spend thread money on the quilting.

HettyB
Old 03-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Maybe this could be the "new post about economical sewing"
I use a number of strategies...

1. Use the rulers you have, most blocks can be made using standard rulers...granny didn't have anything fancy and I have a beautiful hexagon/star quilt she made in the 30's/40's.
2. You don't have to buy every pretty fabric that comes along! The designers aren't going anywhere, there will be more fabric.
3. I buy FQ's or half yards when I do need something as I tend to put 50+ fabrics in my quilts these days.
4. I use thrifted sheets for backings with no issues.
5. I bargain shop for fabric when I need it...EBay, Facebook de-stash pages, thrift store, or local warehouse that sells designer/name brand quilt fabric for $4/yard. Never pay full LQS price for fabric!
6. Hand or machine quilt the quilts yourself.
7. Buy batting on sale with a coupon.
8. Piece leftover batting for other projects.
9. Finish your projects! Don't leave UFO's sitting around.

There are probably more frugal tips, these just come to mind quickly.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

I am with the others about stash building. My recommendation is to purchase fabric only for your next quilt and to "collect" fabrics only for specific quilts you want to make in the future (for me, a floral log cabin).

I agree with purchasing a cone of thread to save money. What I have found, though, is that cheap quality thread comes with hidden costs. The last quilt I made, I decided to save some money and use up some Coats & Clark's dual duty I had lying around. What I found is that it creates ***much*** more dust and lint in my machine than the Aurifil 50wt I usually use. This is harder on my expensive sewing machine (that I never want to have to replace). I think vintage machines can handle Coats & Clark type thread more easily, because that was pretty much all that was available years ago. The more modern machines are not as accessible for cleaning at home, and a single dealership cleaning for my machine would more than wipe out any savings I made on thread. So, my advice is to use a good quality thread even if it is more expensive. I save money on thread by stocking up during sales.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:07 PM

I'm very much like you, Faintly Artistic. And I do think all these tips save money, especially thrift store fabrics and doing your own quilting.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 PM

I love buying thrift store men's shirts, especially in the largest sizes available, for fabric. And you get buttons to use on other projects. I have even found some all-cotton women's dresses. And, of course, find out the days when different things are on sale.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

I use cone thread for my crafts. Could not afford too much spool thread as it is expensive for my uses. Should add I use an older T&S so easy to clean, not much worry about lint. Sometimes I find nice jackets or coats that are cheap and have shank buttons that I can use. I sometimes find a large scrap to use at thrift stores--adds variety. I buy batting or wonder under by the bolt with 50 per cent off coupon. I try to buy my supplies when things are on sale. Try to be frugal at all times.