Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Old Wives Tales.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    If your nose itches, you will have a fight or kiss a fool.

If you sweep UNDER someones feet (like they lift their feet while sitting down, so you can sweep under them) they will never get married again.

If you hit your mother, your hand will stick out of your grave.
    If I had ever hit my mother my whole body would be in a grave. Momma didn't play that game.
    Debra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edie View Post
    My mother was splattered with a little grease on her face and my aunt grabbed her hand and said "hit your leg". Well, it seems that if you get splattered on your face with grease while you are pregnant and you instinctively grab for your face your baby will have a big birthmark on his/her face. My mother grabbed her leg. I have a birthmark on my left leg - and that was 75 years ago. I love that story - old wive's tale, yes; true, maybe!!!!!!!! Edie
    Once I had some kerosene explode in my face, hair, and arm. I pulled my blouse over my head to put out my burning hair. In horrible pain I called my mother. She told me to,

put mustard (like you put on a hotdog) on each burned area. IT WORKED!! The pain stopped immediately and to this day there are no scars.

This old wives' tale saved my face, neck and arm. My eyebrows and hair had to grow back in.

Break a mirror and you will have 7 years bad luck
    Mary

Thanks to all of you! I have enjoyed this Thread very much. Hope others enjoyed it also. You have taught me some I didn't know and others have brought me so wonderful childhood memories back.
    Thanks again!
    Penny
    Country 1

If you kill a spider on Easter sunday it will rain for 7 sundays .

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    If you kill a spider on Easter sunday it will rain for 7 sundays .
    If I was superstitious, I would kill a spider on Easter Sunday because we need the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
    If I had ever hit my mother my whole body would be in a grave. Momma didn't play that game.
    Yeah, but your hand would be sticking OUT ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by junipergal View Post
    Pregnant women who carry low = boy, or pregnancy acne = girl.
    Pregnant women shouldn't take baths.
    Pregnant women shouldn't eat fish
    Some truths here:

Pregnant women shouldn't take baths - somewhat true. Hot water can raise the body temperature and be detrimental to the fetus. It is okay to take warm baths, but not if your water has broken. Baths are sometimes recommended to see if you are actually in labor - warm bath can stop "false" labor, but will not stop the real thing.

Pregnant women shouldn't eat fish - true. There are species of fish that are very high in mercury content. Doctors now recommend limited fish eating if pregnant or trying to conceive.

I worked in OB for many years. I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

PAG
    Enjoyed reading these. Thanks.

Mother used to always say no house was big enough for 2 women.

Dad said his mother would always give him kerosene with sugar for his soar throats. Asked him if it helped. He said never noticed the soar throat after taking the "antidote" but he soon learned not to tell his mother when he had a soar throat. ugh

Sitting too close to the TV would harm the eyes.

Always have the head of the bed north.

Blog Entries
    I remember my mother taking 'coal oil' (that's what we called kerosene) with sugar for a cough/sore throat.
    TwandasMom

My mom taught me (or drilled into my head, or contributed to my OCD) that I have to leave a building by the same door I came in. My friends/neighbors are all aware of this weird thing and they know that if I'm walking the dog and stop for a visit and happen to come in through the garage, don't close the garage door until I leave. My family is trying to break me of this habit. I went out through our garage door one day, was out for quite awhile visiting neighbors, and when I got home the garage door was closed. I went to the front door, rang the doorbell, and when my DS answered, sent him out to open the garage door. I have no idea why this has stuck with me, but I continue on with it!

I remember being told that if I got a burn on my hand, I was to put butter on it. Actually this just the opposite of what you should do. You should cover it with ice water.

My husband tells me that swallowing watermelon seeds will cause a watermelon to start growing in your stomach. ( wonder if he saw a pregnant lady as a child, and his mother told him this to answer his question.)

I have love reading these. Isn't it funny how so many have different variatios?
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    My mother told me that's what happened when I asked about a woman who was in the family way! (No one said the word pregnant back then) lol And I believed her. We were so innocent (or stupid) way back then. She even convinced my daughter that when she was born her ears were so long we had to hold them up on top of her head with a clothes pin and then she had surgery to make them normal. She also told me that if I drank coffee it would make my toes turn black.
    Last edited by misseva; 04-11-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: additional comment
    TwandasMom

Don't make pickles when it is that time of the month or they won't turn out.
    If you give a bowl or container back to someone that brought a dish to your house, don't give it back empty or it is bad luck. At least put some matches in the container.
    Have pork and sauerkruat on new year for good luck for the new year.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Will coffee when you are young really stunt your growth?
    Suzanne

If you get married the bride should have something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue.
    Suzanne

Put salt on a birds wings so they can't fly.???
    Suzanne

Don't make pickles when it is that time of the month or they won't turn out.
    If you give a bowl or container back to someone that brought a dish to your house, don't give it back empty or it is bad luck. At least put some matches in the container.
    Have pork and sauerkruat on new year for good luck for the new year.
    Suzanne

I was about 11 years old, when my mother was baking cookies one summer day, she suddenly brushed some vanilla flavoring behind my ear, with her finger. I was so shocked, because my mother was the serious kind of person most of the time. "Mother! Now I smell like a sugar cookie!" I complained... and she replied, "Well, all the boys like Sugar Cookies!" (Mother came from rural Arkansas)
    My fabric talks to me.

For New Years' Day: eat black-eyed peas, for Good Luck throughout the year: The Black-eyed Pea has ONE EYE--looking straight out, reminding you to keep a straight direction, a steadfast path for your life.
    My fabric talks to me.

When you go out on a date with a guy, wear your Penny Loafers, and put a dime into the little slot, where you usually keep a shiny penny. If he gets fresh, you will be sure to have that dime, to call home from a telephone booth. (circa 1960)
    My fabric talks to me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5