Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: One of my furbabies

One of my furbabies

OK my board name is Feline Fanatic and I do have 4 of em, but I also love the pooches. Last September our 12 year old shepherd / malamute mix died of cancer. My DH and I were heartbroken. I have always been one to let a new puppy help mend my broken heart. They don't fill the hole left by their predecessor but they make their own space that soon grows so big it squeezes out the empty left by the loss. So here is my baby girl. Her name is Keuka. She isn't too much of a baby anymore at 10 months old. She is almost 90 lbs of amazing wonderful dog. She is a Shiloh Shepherd and without a doubt she is the smartest, gentlest most amazing dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. Name:  DSC03450.JPG
Views: 1950
Size:  578.6 KB

Blog Entries
    she is just a beautiful dog. I love dogs, but I don't have the energy anymore to give them good care. So I love my Sons' dogs.

hello. keuka , you are a beauty. you have the most gorgeous dog there love her coloring. have happy times with her .

Wow ... I haven't heard the term Shiloh Shepherd in ages, I guess back in the nineties. She's a very pretty girl!!
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

She is a pretty dog and I hope that you and her have many wonderful years together.

Pat in MN

Beautiful dog. You are lucky she picked you!
    Marilyn

she's a pretty girl Barb
    be happy

She is a beautiful girl.. She still has a puppy smile.. Enjoy her, and all the air she will shed..

She is adorable. Thanks for sharing.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Such a beautiful girl. May you have many years together.

She is a beautiful dog.
    Laura

Blog Entries
    She is beautiful. I am so glad you found each other.
    Happy Quilting.

I have never heard of a Shiloh Shepherd. What if anything is the difference between a Shiloh & a German Shepherd? She is absolutely gorgeous though!!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    She is gorgeous! With the ball in front of her; I can tell that her and my Dodger would be great friends. Go ahead throw the ball another gazillion times and enjoy every moment with her.
    Brenda

Having been thru your situation ourselves, I can sympathize with your loss. It took us 9 months to decide to fill our emptiness with another golden retriever & are we glad we did. Our Abby doesn't take away from our wonderful Jessie but she helps us thru the loneliness. What a gorgeous dog you have there. May you have many long, healthy years together.
    Dance like no one is watching

One look at my avatar and you know I have a love of big fuzzy babies. Yours is beautiful. Keuka's coloring is just beautiful. I wish you many years of love and companionship!

Blog Entries
    She is a real beauty, congrats to you all from me and my 3 Goldens.

She is so beautiful! Give her a hug for me!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by SueJ View Post
    I have never heard of a Shiloh Shepherd. What if anything is the difference between a Shiloh & a German Shepherd? She is absolutely gorgeous though!!
    Sue
    In a nutshell, much bigger, less prone to many of the German Shepherd diseases, especially hip dysplasia and the neurotic-ness that decades of inline breeding did to AKC GSD. Plush coats (long haired coats) like Keuka and smooth coats (like your standard GSD) are both accepted in the breed.

The breed founder was originally from Germany and bred and showed GSD but she became disenchanted and heartbroken with the breed when so many of her dogs became plagued with hip dysplasia and seemed to lack many of the characteristics she had come to expect from GSD. She wanted the dogs she remembered from her youth in Germany, large, family oriented dogs that were highly intelligent, good with kids and protective of the family so she set out on the course of developing the Shiloh. She brought in as many old world/old line dogs she could find that were not bred to the AKC standard. Introduced malamutes to increase the gene pool, lessen the chances of hip dysplasia and get the size back and has spent decades working on her breed. They are considered a "rare" breed so not yet recognized by AKC. As happens in the dog world, other breeders she initially worked with, broke away from her guidelines and standard and formed new clubs so there are two Shiloh clubs out in the world now, both striving to be recognized by AKC by participating in shows and such. Others broke off entirely and are now selling their dogs as King Shepherds. Sadly the breed founder passed away last year but her daughter is carrying on the founding kennel and there are still many breeders out there.

I am sorry for the loss of your sweetie and am happy you have found your beautiful girl, Keuka.

Blog Entries
    When you lose a dog you think you'll never love another one quite as much. But the next one always finds just as big a place in your heart. Keuka is a beautiful dog. Hope you have many happy years together.

Blog Entries
    What a beauty she is. She has such a look of love and gentleness in her eyes. I know that she has already won your heart over and will give you so much more in the years to come. It makes me happy for you and her to have come together........Give her a big hug from me....

She is a beauty!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Absolutely beautiful girl.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    She is beautiful!!!! A very expressive face, she looks very happy. I can see her mending that broken heart pretty quickly..
    Lack of planning on your part does NOT nessessitate an emergency on my part.
    Faith :-D

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast